• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2013 |OT| I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Voracek Twitter said:
Love people who sitting at home,drinking beer or coke,scratching their balls and yelling ''shoot the puck u idiot''!!!#hugewin!
You tell 'em.

TUSR

Banned
NHL January 2014 |OT| Shut up TUSR

image.php

Socreges

Banned
This turn around by the Flyers is simply amazing. Lavi must have been the worst coach ever.
Man.... that did not look like a well-coached Flyers team. Only thanks to a few posts, some great goaltending by Mason, and some shitty finishing by the Canucks did the Flyers somehow come away with a win.

Stasis

Hey gang, Spuds McFuckstick here, this timezone is just about to head into the "We're gonna get loose* and shout at cunts**" phase of the evening...

But before it does I wanted to say a big thanks to everybody in here for a great 2013 in this thread. We've laughed, we've cried, I finally got banned, Marvie finally lit the lamp, Ducks-age grew with some great new members and overall the thread has seen an increase in quality members over the past year.

Personally I'm sure we've all had different years entirely. Mine was a HUGE significant upgrade over 2012, which I can say without a hint of irony was *literally* the worst year of my life. Melbourne is a fantastic city and I'm glad I moved here. Creating a solid foundation and life was all I was dedicated to doing this year, and I've pretty much done that. Started training in MMA and am looking at competing by the end of next year as well as continuing a rigorous training schedule and a trip to Thailand for 2 weeks to train with some Aussie UFC fighters. This year had also had some hardships though. I got diagnosed with clinical depression after I tried to kill myself by jumping in front of a car back in July. A bit of therapy and some medication and I've kicked it's ass though. Looking forward to getting off the meds next year though. Thankfully that's the worst that happened, and if that's the worst that happened then I consider myself pretty god damn lucky and fortunate. Hell, even existing in general in a first world in 2013 with clean water, freedom, healthcare and Cool Things™ is just some serious Good Shit™.

In general we've seen some kickass hockey, and some terrible stupid shit. This years EA NHL title was lackluster. Nothing new I guess. But overall my love for the sport hasn't diminished one bit. I still love hockey as much as I did when I first laid my eyes on Giggy in the teal and white.

So without naming any particular names; a big thanks to all those who contributed in really positive and meaningful ways to my life in either significant or Timbits sized ways.

I wish you all the best in 2014 and a happy fuckin' new year.

*respectfully drink rum and beer
**yell politely in cheerful celebration at nothing or nobody in particular

I lurk more than I actively post but I'm always around, and I'm gonna say you make this thread pretty fucking enjoyable. You're a funny fucker!

Cheers guys, happy New Year!

Slurmer

Banned
This turn around by the Flyers is simply amazing. Lavi must have been the worst coach ever.
We did get outplayed pretty badly. Stole 2 points really. And it seems like every coach since Bill Barber (2000) starts out re-energizing the team and then ultimately burning out in a couple years.

Lavi is a good coach, he just lost the team.

Curufinwe

Flyers Gaf told me their defense was fine and goaltending was good this year tho

The defense is fine when Gustafsson is playing and Meszaros is not. Fine as in OK, not good.

Mason has been great and Emery has been poor but Mase gets most of the games, so that works out to good goaltending overall. Mason's record in Philly is 20-11-4 with a .926 SV% which makes the hundreds of comments in NHL GAF threads this year about how much he sucked, and how his career was over, and how the Flyers should have kept Bryzgalov hilarious in retrospect.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
No, seeing Lindros and everybody back in the Alumni game was better than the last Winter Classic for me.

That was nice, but actually being at the WC was just amazing.

(I didn't get to go to the Alumni game, even though I had a ticket (and one to the Hershey/Phantoms game))

Curufinwe

Being there must have been awesome.

Watching it on TV was very frustrating, and then there was the dark cloud of all the Bryzgalov drama hanging over it.

Curufinwe

Holmgren was probably gearing up to pay him even more, so the Leafs did us a favor. I think Phaneuf is good, but his cap hit would be too much on this team with all the other expensive guys they have to fit under the cap to start the season (including Pronger). Just resigning Downie and Raffl and Mason will be tough unless Hartnell or LSchenn get moved.

4bzqJjP.png

We did get outplayed pretty badly. Stole 2 points really. And it seems like every coach since Bill Barber (2000) starts out re-energizing the team and then ultimately burning out in a couple years.

Lavi is a good coach, he just lost the team.

I wasn't talking about this one game specifically, I just meant the change from end of last year/start of this year to now is crazy. Flyers couldn't score on anyone and were losing to pretty much everyone, now they can beat pretty much anyone. It is like 2 totally different teams.

Montresor

Phaneuf is a workhorse, playing the most difficult minutes on the Leafs blueline every night. Leafs would be complete dogshit, in the bottom of the basement, if he wasn't part of our defense.

He's getting only a $500k per year raise. He's still overpaid, but you could not expect him to take a paycut.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Phaneuf is a workhorse, playing the most difficult minutes on the Leafs blueline every night. Leafs would be complete dogshit, in the bottom of the basement, if he wasn't part of our defense.

He's getting only a $500k per year raise. He's still overpaid, but you could not expect him to take a paycut.

phaneuf may be good at defending

but the second he gets the puck he becomes a big liability.

Montresor

phaneuf may be good at defending

but the second he gets the puck he becomes a big liability.

That's not what I see. He routinely skates the puck out of our zone with remarkable effectiveness. And he's a big part of our PP (last I checked it was pretty good, but I haven't checked in awhile lol).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
That's not what I see. He routinely skates the puck out of our zone with remarkable effectiveness. And he's a big part of our PP (last I checked it was pretty good, but I haven't checked in awhile lol).

effectiveness? lol.

he's no kaberle, that's for sure.

Top Bottom