• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2014 |OT| Clearsi is the only stat that matters

Acid08

Banned
EMOTIONALLY FRAGILE SHARKS WIIIIIIIIIN

Great game from Nemo, he made some amazing saves.

Congrats on your win tomorrow Oilers.

Fuck. I blame ramo, been too long since we had hiller in goal. Realistically this was probably the sloppiest game I've watched since I can even remember this season.

Niemi came up big at the end of the third, gg sharks

See you leaf fans in a couple nights

Fuck. I blame ramo, been too long since we had hiller in goal. Realistically this was probably the sloppiest game I've watched since I can even remember this season.

Niemi came up big at the end of the third, gg sharks

See you leaf fans in a couple nights
Sharks needed this to move up a bit. Less for Calgary and more for sharks.

Heretic

Seriously?

Only with Nintendo could a fan be somewhat critical about something and still find other fanboys to immediately take up arms in Nintendo's defense.

tl;dr THE HIVE

It came out of nowhere like a RKO only it really did come out of nowhere!

You were being unrealistic in your criticism though. Or extremely nitpicking. Open world games, heck even real life, have empty spaces. They should have shown a different section.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Yay the Wings won! I'm so tired, gonna go to sleep now. Sorry, didn't get to try Bloodborne or The Order today. The Bloodborne demo was the same area they showed during the Key Note so it didn't look all that exciting tbh. The Order wait was over an hour, so I didn't have time.

Socreges

Banned
It came out of nowhere like a RKO only it really did come out of nowhere!

You were being unrealistic in your criticism though. Or extremely nitpicking. Open world games, heck even real life, have empty spaces. They should have shown a different section.
You don't seem to get it. I'm not asking for events or enemies every few metres. But I'd rather not have areas like the "densely wooded forest" that is literally just lush green grass and identical lush green tree upon lush green tree. It's featureless and boring. Zelda isn't held back by the restraints of many open world games that have to adhere to real environments and yet it looks so plain (while beautiful, of course).

Consider RDR:

Red-Dead-Redemption-red-dead-redemption-14740431-1280-720.jpg

RDR-red-dead-redemption-14765660-1280-720.jpg

Zelda's art style will necessarily mean simpler and less detailed environments, but it also enables them to be more creative.

And in the event that you point out that RDR also has more boring environments, probably. It's set in a desert. And wooded areas. But it also makes an effort to throw in different looking bushes or trees or patches of grass or rocks or paths or small animals, even in those relatively empty environments.

Acid08

Banned
Time for some easy wins. Oilers, Wild, Oilers, etc.

If they don't choke.

I've been calling us losing to the Oilers for a while now. Guess we'll see tomorrow.

Crap ass Oilers team can't win, Sharks on their longest win streak of the season. Has all the signs of being a gigantic, embarrassing let down by the Sharks.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I've been calling us losing to the Oilers for a while now. Guess we'll see tomorrow.

Crap ass Oilers team can't win, Sharks on their longest win streak of the season. Has all the signs of being a gigantic, embarrassing let down by the Sharks.

Is this the Oilers first game since Mac T's press conference too?

Calamari41

41 > 38
Socreges, you're not wrong or out of line with your Zelda concerns, but I wonder what RDR's open world shots looked like a solid year before it came out. I'm willing to give Aonuma and Miyamoto the benefit of the doubt. Detailed population of the overworld is probably something that happens in the later stages of development.

It would be bizarre if Nintendo was explicitly trying to make an open world game and didn't add a good amount of things to do in it. I wouldn't be shocked if it happened, but it would still be weird. As far as areas that are a little bare.. as long as they aren't everywhere that's not really an issue.

I will say this though, that game is a year out and we've still barely seen anything. That's a little worrying, especially since they're doubling down on that launch window.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
What about a Galaxy game with no loads inbetween levels?

Open Galaxy.

If I can select each level from a map, or tiny hub sure. The hub in Mario Galaxy was already a little big, luckily they fixed it in 2.

Open worlds usually turn into collectathons. I like levels with a beginning, middle, and end.

I like some open world games but I tend to agree about the collection shit. Though for some reason I did get all of the agility orbs in the first Crackdown, and I think I was missing around 9 of the secret orbs. That game did an amazing job of making it fun.

Red Faction Guerrilla is more my cup of tea for open world though. That game was a chaos engine and it was fucking glorious.

Marvie_3

Banned
I like some open world games but I tend to agree about the collection shit. Though for some reason I did get all of the agility orbs in the first Crackdown, and I think I was missing around 9 of the secret orbs. That game did an amazing job of making it fun.

Red Faction Guerrilla is more my cup of tea for open world though. That game was a chaos engine and it was fucking glorious.

I'm still missing 1 of these fuckers.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

I don't know what it is about Crackdown, but I love them too. I thinks it's the ability to jump wherever you want, lessons the usual open world short comings.

I thought Sunset Overdrive might have the same feeling, but I hated it. I imagine what the game could have been with more linear, tightly crafted levels.

Sunset Overdrive has been uh... I played it for a few hours at launch and I just have not touched it since. I think the characters and writing just turns me right the hell off. I'll finish it before the year is up but yeah I get that.

I would back the living hell out of a Red Faction Guerrilla 2.

Merguson

Banned

RFG was such a fun game to play. Too bad they never really built upon that with their next game.

Montresor

What is 'tude? Sunset my GOTY either way (so far). I loved the comedy in the game - it didn't take itself seriously and had a billion pop culture references.

Ive been playing Thomas Was Alone. It's one of the best puzzle games I've ever played.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

499 of 500 agility orbs. :(

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone else here pick up Geometry Wars 3 yet? I've got nobody to compete with for high scores.
My scores are all awful anyway

In hockey related discussion, Therrien sucks.

Montresor

ugh

i was actually interested in this game until now

If it helps, the game play is fantastic. You play as someone that basically zips around like a superhero. There are no driveable cars, but the traversal is fast regardless - you can bounce really high, dash in the air, and grind quickly (as if you had rollerblades) on pretty much anything: Telephone wires, electrical wires, fences, roofs, skylights, etc..

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
If it helps, the game play is fantastic. You play as someone that basically zips around like a superhero. There are no driveable cars, but the traversal is fast regardless - you can bounce really high, dash in the air, and grind quickly (as if you had rollerblades) on pretty much anything: Telephone wires, electrical wires, fences, roofs, skylights, etc..

The real shame is you have this neat way of travelling/platforming, but you're stuck in an open world game with pretty poor flow.

It feels like the later Tony Hawk games, where they sacrifice flow and level design so it fits into this world, instead of the other way around.

Socreges

Banned
Socreges, you're not wrong or out of line with your Zelda concerns, but I wonder what RDR's open world shots looked like a solid year before it came out. I'm willing to give Aonuma and Miyamoto the benefit of the doubt. Detailed population of the overworld is probably something that happens in the later stages of development.
Hey, so am I. This only started because Heretic and his cronies felt I should be happy with everything as is.

I really feel bad for laughing at it but my god just let the fucking thing go next time. Or maybe put your arms out to prevent the face plant at the very least? Sincerely hope the guy doesn't have some sort of lifelong injury or pain because of it.

Heretic

You don't seem to get it. I'm not asking for events or enemies every few metres. But I'd rather not have areas like the "densely wooded forest" that is literally just lush green grass and identical lush green tree upon lush green tree. It's featureless and boring. Zelda isn't held back by the restraints of many open world games that have to adhere to real environments and yet it looks so plain (while beautiful, of course).

Consider RDR:

Red-Dead-Redemption-red-dead-redemption-14740431-1280-720.jpg

RDR-red-dead-redemption-14765660-1280-720.jpg

Zelda's art style will necessarily mean simpler and less detailed environments, but it also enables them to be more creative.

And in the event that you point out that RDR also has more boring environments, probably. It's set in a desert. And wooded areas. But it also makes an effort to throw in different looking bushes or trees or patches of grass or rocks or paths or small animals, even in those relatively empty environments.

Gotcha and I agree then. We'll see how it goes. It's still going to look amazing.

Top Bottom