• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2015 |OT| How John Tortorella Stole Christmas

Socreges

Banned
Only Vancouver has more OT or SO losses than Toronto now

we comin' for ya
NaturalGenerousHeifer.gif

I saw the Star Trek trailer.

I clapped and immediately walked out of the theatre, satisfied in spending $12 solely to see the trailer.

I like the cerebral stories of Star Trek more than Star Wars, it used to be the opposite when I was younger, that being said I'll still take a Star Wars movie over those faux-Trek movies any day. Still don't get how that guy can be excited enough to buy a ticket for a trailer of a franchise that's best on television.

Guys. Your drunk friend will be a drunk no longer.

I need to quit. Some shit happened and it opened my eyes and it's not really helping my anxiety anyway.

Gonna try to taper maybe cold turkey

Ursn

So I'm really contemplating if I still need to watch the replay of the games when I get home. I just checked the score online right now about 3 minutes into 3rd period because these games are not fun to watch anymore, and of course to no surprise we lost 3-0. So now to play battlefront. I snuck down to front row last game so that 5-1 loss didn't hurt as much cause it was still pretty exciting watching the 3rd period from the front row, but goddamn there's so many things not working on this team.

trifelife

Guys. Your drunk friend will be a drunk no longer.

I need to quit. Some shit happened and it opened my eyes and it's not really helping my anxiety anyway.

Gonna try to taper maybe cold turkey

Did you puke in an elevator and have to hold it in your hands/mouth for the rest of the ride? Cause let me tell you... that sucks.

Tapering is really hard with alcohol. I'd just try to not have a few for a couple days and see how you feel.

I'm on mushrooms right now though so this advice is not legally binding.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Did you puke in an elevator and have to hold it in your hands/mouth for the rest of the ride? Cause let me tell you... that sucks.

Tapering is really hard with alcohol. I'd just try to not have a few for a couple days and see how you feel.

I'm on mushrooms right now though so this advice is not legally binding.

OXBQcPa.gif

I'm in Commie land, things are still red

Calamari41

41 > 38
So I'm really contemplating if I still need to watch the replay of the games when I get home. I just checked the score online right now about 3 minutes into 3rd period because these games are not fun to watch anymore, and of course to no surprise we lost 3-0. So now to play battlefront. I snuck down to front row last game so that 5-1 loss didn't hurt as much cause it was still pretty exciting watching the 3rd period from the front row, but goddamn there's so many things not working on this team.

No shame in choosing not to waste your time watching this team when you already know after the fact that they decided to be limp dicks about it. There have been a lot of fun games this year, but also a lot of insulting performances.

Foggy

Went in the way-back machine to look at the comments section of a yahoo article covering the Jack Johnson/Jeff Carter trade

"Colombus should have got Jonathan Bernier in this deal. They are foolish. Steve Mason is crap compared to what Bernier will become when he gets out of the Jonathan Quick situation that has stalled his career. To bad others aren't able to see this. Most notably COLOMBUS."

Brings a tear to my eye.

Went in the way-back machine to look at the comments section of a yahoo article covering the Jack Johnson/Jeff Carter trade

"Colombus should have got Jonathan Bernier in this deal. They are foolish. Steve Mason is crap compared to what Bernier will become when he gets out of the Jonathan Quick situation that has stalled his career. To bad others aren't able to see this. Most notably COLOMBUS."

Brings a tear to my eye.

LOL

I've been seeing that Calgary is Interested in Bernier. Goalie Trade....?

zroid

Banned
I like the cerebral stories of Star Trek more than Star Wars, it used to be the opposite when I was younger, that being said I'll still take a Star Wars movie over those faux-Trek movies any day. Still don't get how that guy can be excited enough to buy a ticket for a trailer of a franchise that's best on television.

lol I can only imagine how much die-hard classic Trek fans must hate the fact that the same guy directed the new Trek movies and Force Awakens

it's like the ultimate kick in the ass

Solo

Nice to see the Habs anemic offense has returned. This team won't get past the second round, if they get that far.

What happened last ni.......Oh.

Have you actually watched any games or basing this all on boxscores? This is the best Habs team since 93 by a mile

You're awfully defensive, did you know? Just because I don't post much on GAF anymore doesn't mean I don't watch hockey anymore. What a bizarre correlation to make. It doesn't matter how many chances a team generates or how many bad bounces they get, or any "advanced" stat or metric, what matters is scoring goals. Which is something the Habs, aside from a few flourishes here and there, have been bad at for a number of years now. The Habs right now can't score goals.

Have you even actually been watching since 1993? Did you see that team and watch them win the Cup? I did. I was 10 when they won that Cup and it was a childhood memory for me. I've weathered 27 years as a fan, through many good teams and bad. This year's team is good, but calling it the best since the Cup team is both arguable and also a bit silly as they haven't really iced an elite team in 20 years.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Last night, Brady Skjei got to have his homecoming (in which he still looked good in stretches but also looked a lot more like a guy in his second NHL game than he had in his debut). Tonight is the other rookie defenseman's turn as Dylan McIlrath gets to play in his hometown of Winnipeg for the first time.

Still no news on the goalie situation, other than that Antti Raanta is unavailable for tonight. The Rangers have a serious problem, though. They are already at the absolute limit as it is, with 12 healthy forwards, 6 healthy D, and only $25k of cap space available. Basically, it seems like it's not really possible to call up a goalie to replace Raanta without sending someone down or weaving some other kind of cap magic (maybe retroactively putting Klein on LTIR?). Sending someone down means having to play the game tonight with only 17 skaters, unless Stepan really is good to go. And the only players who can be sent down without waivers are Brady Skjei and Tanner Glass. The problem is sending Skjei down means playing with 5 defensemen, and Tanner Glass is one of the few Rangers who is actually playing well right now.

Yes, that's a sentence I just wrote.

Socreges

Banned
Star Wars already spoiled for me. Fuck it.
I think I'll be fine. In the social media world, I only really visit GAF and use Facebook in a limited way. And I don't know enough douchebaggy nerds to be worried about IRL spoilers.

Shouldn't leave it too long, though. At a minimum I need to see it before Cake Boss becomes dangerous.

Who need's a morning cup of coffee when you have Solo's salt instead?
The best part of waking up is intra-Habs-salt in your cup.

Here's come good news for CB

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/913906

Report: Bryan Murray to decide future with Senators early in 2016

Bryan Murray may be deep in thought over the holiday season.

The Ottawa Senators general manager, who's maintaining his position with the club as he continues his fight against cancer, is set to make a decision about whether he'll extend his tenure or step aside when his contract expires at season's end, according to Pierre LeBrun during Thursday's "Insider Trading" segment on TSN.

"His deal is up at the end of the year, he has to make a decision," LeBrun reported. "And what I'm told is that over the next month, he's going to do a lot of soul searching, talk to his family, talk to a lot of people close to him, and maybe by the end of January but maybe beyond - because it's a sensitive decision - he'll decide whether he feels he has it in him to continue on as GM next year.

"Or, does he step aside, become a part-time advisor, and does (assistant) Pierre Dorion become the next GM of the Ottawa Senators? He's going to put a lot of time thinking into that over the next month."

Murray has served as GM of the Senators since 2007, and was named to the post shortly after coaching the team in the Stanley Cup Final that year.

This season marks his 22nd as a general manager, after serving four years with the Detroit Red Wings, six-plus seasons with the Florida Panthers, and two seasons with the Anaheim Ducks, with whom he won a Cup.

Cake Boss

Banned
Meh, Pierre Dorion will be better but I want a whole cleansing from top to bottom. Its still the same management group that has only got us 1 playoff series win in their 8-9 years here.

I want Brisbois from Tampa.Or anyone who acknowledges the new way of thinking with analytics and skill instead of shitty goons with limited skill. Someone who won't let his Dumbass coach scratch a skilled player like Prince in favour of their AHL dman. Or won't let him put Smith on the top line, or scratches Weircioch and Wideman instead of Cowen and Borodick.

@sportsnetmurph
#RedWings have brought Adam Oates in to work with their team for the next three days.

huh.

Hudon Sent Back to the Ice Caps. He was Good. Hopefully he will crack the lineup next season.

Must mean Devante is coming back which is a good thing.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
What happened last ni.......Oh.

You're awfully defensive, did you know? Just because I don't post much on GAF anymore doesn't mean I don't watch hockey anymore. What a bizarre correlation to make. It doesn't matter how many chances a team generates or how many bad bounces they get, or any "advanced" stat or metric, what matters is scoring goals. Which is something the Habs, aside from a few flourishes here and there, have been bad at for a number of years now. The Habs right now can't score goals.

They're second in the league for goals scored, third for 5on5 goals scored, third in goals scored per 60 minutes, 4th in generating shots per 60 minutes. I mean, how much can they really improve?

They're missing one of their most important players right now, and yes, Bergevin has to acquire another top 6 winger, but this isn't the Habs team of yore that relied on power plays.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Brady Skjei has been sent down to Hartford. In exchange, Chris Summers and Magnus Hellberg have been called up.

Since Summers and Hellberg are emergency recalls, they will be able to be sent back down even after the roster freeze takes effect Saturday night.

Cake Boss

Banned
Watched that Road to NHL episode 1 thing yesterday.

Holy shit what a borefest. Its basically PK fedora personality and a bunch of other robots.

" OH YEAH BOYS, LET GO BOYS, GET HER DONE BOYS, GET PUCKS DEEP BOYS, A FULL EFFORT HERE BOYS, COME ON BOYS"

Watched that Road to NHL episode 1 thing yesterday.

Holy shit what a borefest. Its basically PK fedora personality and a bunch of other robots.

" OH YEAH BOYS, LET GO BOYS, GET HER DONE BOYS, GET PUCKS DEEP BOYS, A FULL EFFORT HERE BOYS, COME ON BOYS"

I told you, it's the PK Subban Show

I'll never understand the Bryan Murray hate.

He and his group have managed to keep Ottawa a very competitive team for a long while on a (relatively) shoe-string budget.

Have their been bad decisions? Of course, but no more than any other well-run club, at least that I can tell.

If anything I'd be worried about him retiring. The next guys may not be an improvement.

Solo

They're second in the league for goals scored, third for 5on5 goals scored, third in goals scored per 60 minutes, 4th in generating shots per 60 minutes. I mean, how much can they really improve?

They're missing one of their most important players right now, and yes, Bergevin has to acquire another top 6 winger, but this isn't the Habs team of yore that relied on power plays.

I'd be curious to know what the skew on those numbers from their great first 20 games is though. They were number 1 in scoring at that mark, and us you said, number 2 now. But I'd be curious see where they rank in the league in the last 10-15 games. I feel like their great start masks what a turd team they've been the last few weeks. I know they are "dominating", as Red like to say, other teams in terms of shots and other stats, but how can you say with a straight face that they are dominating anybody when they've lost 6 of 7 games, and been outscored 19-11 in them? The only stat that matters is wins, and if it weren't for the Habs racking them up to start the season, they'd be in a dogfight for a playoff spot. As far as the powerplay goes, lately it looks exactly like the past few years - too much perimeter passing and looking for a perfect play that never materializes.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be curious to know what the skew on those numbers from their great first 20 games is though. They were number 1 in scoring at that mark, and us you said, number 2 now. But I'd be curious see where they rank in the league in the last 10-15 games. I feel like their great start masks what a turd team they've been the last few weeks. I know they are "dominating", as Red like to say, other teams in terms of shots and other stats, but how can you say with a straight face that they are dominating anybody when they've lost 6 of 7 games, and been outscored 19-11 in them? The only stat that matters is wins, and if it weren't for the Habs racking them up to start the season, they'd be in a dogfight for a playoff spot. As far as the powerplay goes, lately it looks exactly like the past few years - too much perimeter passing and looking for a perfect play that never materializes.

It feels like you're doing the opposite though, only taking the last 10 games into account, and ignoring the great start. The team is somewhere in between there, even with Paul Byron on the first line, and having only 1 real top 6 winger, they're still outshooting opponents, and generating chances.

In my opinion it just speaks to how valuable Gallagher is to this team. Pacioretty doesn't look 100%, but outside of a few games he hasn't looked dominant all year, and he still has 14 goals.

They've needed to pick up a top 6 winger all season, but the third line was masking those problems early on.

Solo

It feels like you're doing the opposite though, only taking the last 10 games into account, and ignoring the great start. The team is somewhere in between there, even with Paul Byron on the first line, and having only 1 real top 6 winger, they're still outshooting opponents, and generating chances.

In my opinion it just speaks to how valuable Gallagher is to this team. Pacioretty doesn't look 100%, but outside of a few games he hasn't looked dominant all year, and he still has 14 goals.

They've needed to pick up a top 6 winger all season, but the third line was masking those problems early on.

Fair enough, and honestly thats exactly what I'm doing - just looking at their recent performance. Id would be easy to say "they need Price" back, and while true, Price doesn't score goals and the back ups have been serviceable in relief.

And absolutely, BGally has great value to the team. And getting DSP back will be a huge boost. Now there's a sentence I never thought I'd write.

The team is good, definitely above average, but I still think they are several pieces away from being a true contender. I don't know if a deadline rental will add much, even if it is Stamkos.

ShaneB

Had my TFA tickets bought a while ago for tomorrow, and still debating not waiting and just leaving work a little early going today at 4pm. Dammit! I can't wait!

Solo

Had my TFA tickets bought a while ago for tomorrow, and still debating not waiting and just leaving work a little early going today at 4pm. Dammit! I can't wait!

Seeing it Sunday afternoon myself. Looking forward to it, but I'm basically using Abrams' ST2009 as my barometer.

Lowest scoring teams in the league:

Anaheim: 56
Pittsburgh and Philadelphia: 68

Canucks are 6th in the Pacific (above Anaheim) but are 4 points out of 2nd.

McCann and Horvat are now our top two centres.

Silexx

This is in reference to the other group that wants to build an arena in Lebreton:

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch

"How in God's name do they want to build an arena because there's no NHL team available. This team is my team," says Melnyk. #Sens

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch

"To jump in at the last minute and say, 'We want to build you a rink.' Why? Not interested. God bless them. All I can say," said Melnyk.

Oh this is going to be fun.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Lowest scoring teams in the league:

Anaheim: 56
Pittsburgh and Philadelphia: 68

Canucks are 6th in the Pacific (above Anaheim) but are 4 points out of 2nd.

McCann and Horvat are now our top two centres.

The worst news to come out of the Sedin injury is that McCann certainly won't be loaned to Team Canada now.

ShaneB

Seeing it Sunday afternoon myself. Looking forward to it, but I'm basically using Abrams' ST2009 as my barometer.

I've liked pretty much everything Abrams has done, so I was excited from the first announcement, seeing the real sequel to the movies I first saw with my VHS THX editions I still have.

I'm only a little disheartened that I can't get any reserved seating for any 2D showing which I'd much rather see since 3D is lost on me.

Top Bottom