• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2015 |OT| How John Tortorella Stole Christmas

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
What's there to do in the city of Calgary other than be a hillbilly?

The mountains, kootneys, banff, etc can be pretty bad in the winter depending on weather but we usually go highway 5/blueberry palson. I'd assume trans-Canada would be better. A good vehicle/winter tires are definitely a must.

Yeah. The Trans-Canada can be treacherous in places. Definitely need winter tires. I'm not worried about my driving it is other idiots.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Airport partaaaayyyy.

Leaving for our Winter NYC/Philly family and friends visit and NYE. Was supposed to leave today but hellllll no. Plow service hasn't even been through. We're driving down. The Adirondacks are gonna suck. I hope they're mostly clean by tomorrow. Latest we can leave is early afternoon really.

=/

Nature, you missed it by 4 days mate.

Yeup. Air Canada sent me an email that I can rebook for free.

They failed to mention that only applies if your entire itinerary is on Air Canada and my flight from Zurich to Montreal is on Swiss. -.-

Airport partyyyyy.

At least I have lounge access in Montreal so if I make it there I can have all the free food&drink I want.

The problem will be GETTING there first... And off the plane.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Airport partaaaayyyy.

Leaving for our Winter NYC/Philly family and friends visit and NYE. Was supposed to leave today but hellllll no. Plow service hasn't even been through. We're driving down. The Adirondacks are gonna suck. I hope they're mostly clean by tomorrow. Latest we can leave is early afternoon really.

=/

Nature, you missed it by 4 days mate.

I'm currently airport partying in Mexico City. We showed up for our flight to Acapulco last night five minutes after boarding started and the guy stopped us at the gate and said we were too late, as he waved others on board. The cunt literally held out his hand after I said "sir, please let us on the plane."

So now we're in this beautiful garbage heap of a "city" until our flight later this afternoon. Never visiting the third world again, so unfortunately our planned Vancouver trip is off as well :(

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm currently airport partying in Mexico City. We showed up for our flight to Acapulco last night five minutes after boarding started and the guy stopped us at the gate and said we were too late, as he waved others on board. The cunt literally held out his hand after I said "sir, please let us on the plane."

So now we're in this beautiful garbage heap of a "city" until our flight later this afternoon. Never visiting the third world again, so unfortunately our planned Vancouver trip is off as well :(

Just because we dont have cable doesnt mean we're third world! :(

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Pacioretty said:
People who don't watch our games are going to assume we're a one-player team, but if you look at 5-on-5 scoring chances, you look at shots and offense generated, and we've been up there every game.
Wonder if this is coming from Therrien or the analytics guy the Habs hired

scott gomez and sam gagner on waivers

lolol
Dude is a cockroach, just retire already.

Red_Man

From Friedman's 30 thoughts

Jeff Gorton’s kept a low profile since becoming the Rangers’ GM, but whether he speaks publicly or not, we’re going to get a good idea of what he really thinks about his team.

Even when they led the Metropolitan Division, coach Alain Vigneault warned it was a mirage. He’s proven correct. I still think New York makes the playoffs, but if they don’t, the first-round pick they traded to the Arizona (Keith Yandle) slides to 2017.

This is purely me thinking, but what other picks could they get for a Dominic Moore or a Yandle? And, if they really decided to go big, they could test the market on a Rick Nash (who has no-trade protection). Be curious to see if a contender thought he might be a critical piece.
Surprised to see him even bring up the thought of them not making the playoffs and moving guys.

13. Sounds like the Kings, who tormented Vancouver Monday night, are really doing their research into defencemen who could fill Matt Greene’s role. Nothing imminent, but a lot of legwork.
Cough *Emelin* cough

Foggy

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2015/12/brutally-honest-qas.html

Select quotes because of paywall:

Torts: I’m surprised with some of the thinking that I think needs to change. I’ll be honest with you: I’m embarrassed – me - that I haven’t been able to get this team to the crossroads, those intersections you work through when you’re building a team and you try to get a team to play the right way. There’s always an intersection. I’m embarrassed that I have not done my job well enough to get them to the crossroads. Forget going down the right road. We haven’t gotten there.

Torts: It needs to be about … it’s man on man, it’s men speaking … because I think if you have conflict, you know there’s some honesty going on there. One party isn’t happy about what’s being said. That’s very imoprtant as we keep on going through here and doing the teaching. There needs to be some dialogue. It doesn’t have to be a (expletive) you, back and forth. It has to be ‘this is what I saw,’ or ‘this is what I thought I should be doing,’ I think that’s very important for a team. Have we gotten there? No. We haven’t gotten there. I want it to be that way. But I want you to understand, when we talk about conflict. It doesn’t have to be shouting matches.

Portzline: You saw Tortorella’s comments before Sunday’s game, I’m sure, and he really took the leadership on this team to task. Is that the hardest thing for a player to hear, to be questioned like that?

Foligno: I take that personally. I feel we do have a strong leadership. It’s a compound problem with a lot of other things. I agree to disagree in a sense. I know what he’s saying[...]

Portzline: Have you talked to Tortorella about it?

Foligno: I don’t have any hard feelings. That’s his assessment and he has every right to think that. I have my own beleifs. I think we need to get stronger. I don’t know everything. It’s my first time being captain. I have a lot to learn. I think a lot of guys have a lot to learn. I think that’s what he means by it[...]

Dubinsky: It’s a little bit too much Mr. Nice Guy around here. It starts with your own actions first, but we have to do a better job of keeping each other accountable and create some conflicts in here. Not enough conflict in here. We have a lot of guys who are mellow guys, nice guys, quiet guys … not a lot of coflict. Sometimes you need that.

Portzline: How does it land with you when the coach questions the leadership of this group? How do veteran ears hear that?

Hartnell: It's not something you want coming out of your coach who's only been here a couple of months. For us, we have a young team if you look comparitively to the rest of the league. We have to make sure everyone is together, everyone is on the same page. It does fall on us older guys, and that's definitely him calling us out. We have to be more consistent. We have to be good every night, and that's something we haven't been.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Surprised to see him even bring up the thought of them not making the playoffs and moving guys.
The writing's on the wall that the team needs to be blown up a bit. Nash, Moore, and Yandle are all deflections from the actual big problems, though, mainly because the real problems are going to be extremely difficult to get rid of.

Where are the biggest problem spots on the team right now? Chris Kreider, Kevin Hayes, Dan Girardi, and Marc Staal. But here's the problem: we know how much better Kreider is in the playoffs than he is in the regular season. He's like a reverse Rick Nash. So that's not a viable option for a trade until at least the offseason. Hayes is having the sophomore year I feared he would, but he's still got potential to be a stud, and we've already seen how key he can be. So he's not a good choice to ship off right now either. Dan Girardi needs to go so McDonagh can have a full-time partner who isn't Dan Girardi, but nobody else has really clicked with Mac, and Girardi's contract is virtually untradeable. Marc Staal: see Dan Girardi.

The other major fundamental problem that isn't tied to any individual players in particular is the overall lack of team speed. The team lost Martin St. Louis, who made that second line fast before he lost his legs near the end, and Carl Hagelin, who made the third line fast. Even though much of that productivity has been replaced, the pace those players brought has not, and it's had a huge effect in the defensive zone and through the neutral zone. It's really frustrating to watch how ploddingly slow this team is when they absolutely shouldn't be. Not with the system AV's been running from day one here.

You can't fire AV because he's been great and isn't the problem. You can't get rid of the players who are the problem right now because they either have bad contracts or too much future potential to abandon. And you can't bring in new players to help without either getting rid of those bad contracts somehow or trading away players who have actually been really good for us who don't deserve to be shipped off.

So I'm really curious to see how Gorton tries to get the team out of this.

Stasis

Hey man, at least you can look at some nice palm trees and shit. My view atm is just endless snow. Thank goodness we got all our errands done last night. Now we just load up the car and wait for the right time to go through the mountains. I'd like to go somewhere warm right about now. I think next year I'm spending Xmas in the Bahamas or some shit.

Cough *Emelin* cough

I'm on the fence about it. We need change badly, obviously. We're in the same funk as you guys but we have no prospect depth outside of Buchnevich, Skjei and maybe a goalie or two. I don't think it's time to blow it all up, but I don't think making a few small tweaks does us any good either. So what then? Weird period for the Rangers. Doesn't feel great. Watched a bit of the Nashville game accelerated/highlights and I just kept thinking: "Hot. Garbage. Hot. Garbage." as my only two descriptive words, lol.

Kinda sucks to see Ganger waived. He played pretty well then he got hit and concussed and just couldn't break back in.

But we do need all the cap space we can get so see ya Sam. Good luck

Red_Man

It's difficult for the Rangers to make any big moves, because you're essentially giving into at least a retool and what would Henrik think about that? He's going to want his chance at cup while he's still in his prime.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
That post before was one of the first times I can recall actively shitting on Kevin Hayes this season, and what does AV do to his lines today?

Miller-Brassard-Zuccarello
Nash-Stepan-Fast
Kreider-Lindberg-Etem
Glass-Moore-Stalberg

AV says it’s come to a “tipping point” with Kevin Hayes. Says young forward has not worked hard enough this season.

AV says Kevin Hayes has been given a “long leash” this season. No more. Meanwhile Hayes says he remains confident in his game.

Good to know AV and I are still on the same page. Also, I really like the concept of that Kreider-Lindberg-Etem line. Let's see if either of them can actually get going.

Marvie_3

Banned
That post before was one of the first times I can recall actively shitting on Kevin Hayes this season, and what does AV do to his lines today?

Miller-Brassard-Zuccarello
Nash-Stepan-Fast
Kreider-Lindberg-Etem
Glass-Moore-Stalberg

Good to know AV and I are still on the same page. Also, I really like the concept of that Kreider-Lindberg-Etem line. Let's see if either of them can actually get going.
Bryan Bickell also hasnt worked hard enough this season. Maybe they both need a change of scenery. I think we can make a deal.

Pikma

Banned

Hey calm down, Calamatrump91

Why Acapulco though? Cancun and Cabo is where it's at.

@renlavoietva

#canadiens Brendan Gallagher should join the team in Boston but not sure yet he could play at the WC. He's day-to-day. #tvasports
Gallagher...MAYBE at Winter Classic?

We will see

Also:
CXax30KWsAAci9J.png:large

Anyone see the kings game yesterday? I was at the game and man did the Canucks play like garbage. Both teams were sloppy to be honest but Kings worked out their kinks in the intermissions and were able to finish playing a complete game. Martinez made up for earlier mistakes as well. Also helps when you have Jonathan Quick playing very well (albeit he wasn't tested until later in the game).
Was also great to see Sutter giving Weal some ice-time seeing as the kid is from North Van. He was playing inspired hockey and could've squeaked his way into the 3-stars were it not for Toffoli's hatty. Weal ended up playing a career high 12 minutes and those minutes were deserved.
Gaborik seemed to be benched to start the third but what else is new lol.
Canucks were sloppy all game and their lack of depth really showed that game. No one was really clicking past the Sedins. Although the team was physical in the first period but then backed up for some reason which worked against them. Tim Peel is historically brutal but the reffing overall wasn't a distraction that game.
Also hilarious to see some beer cans on the ice after the hattrick goal...and by hilarious I mean embarrassing. Not surprising though.
Oh, and random but the anthems were quite good. Usually they rush through the American one but last night's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner was excellent.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Hey calm down, Calamatrump91

Why Acapulco though? Cancun and Cabo is where it's at.

Hawaii beats them all, but I'm in Acapulco (made it!) for a wedding.

We have Acapulco here in CA, they serve subpar food

Shit, I wish. All I've had since Monday morning is Mexico City airport Chili's. I'm at an actual resort now finally so I'll be able to eat real food while avoiding anything that has touched tap water.

Pikma

Banned
Get the fuck out of here, Lehtonen
Our defense sucks ass, they only decide to show up against decent teams, sometimes.

Top Bottom