• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2015 |OT| How John Tortorella Stole Christmas

I was genuinely interested to see how Pierre McGuire would have done as the Pens GM. He said he would trade Malkin, maybe not such a bad idea, lots of money tied up in two players.
It would be insane to trade malkin before they decide to go full rebuild.

If they feel like their window is still open if they do adjustments, he is the last person they should trade.

ZeroGravity

Hedman, Johnson, Kucherov, Palat, and Bishop all need new contracts within the next two years. Quite frankly they're all more important players to the Lightning than Stamkos right now. Yzerman can't afford to pay Stamkos the money he's likely asking for, and why would Stamkos take less when he knows they'll be a bidding war in the offseason?

If he wanted to take less to be the leader of a young championship caliber team, he would have done so already. He's as good as gone unless he actually starts showing something that would make Yzerman believe he's worth the absurd price tag.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The entire twitter like thing was probably just a negotiation ploy on his camp's part. I can see him signing in Tampa long term before season's end.

Yzerman will flip him to the Rangers for Oscar Lindberg, Kevin Hayes, and Brady Skjei.

The Rangers will lose him to free agency (back to Tampa!) after being bounced in the second round.

Cake Boss

Banned
CWNU9NqWEAAUPoT.jpg

GOTY

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
LeBrun is saying that the Rangers callup is indeed going to be Brady Skjei.

Expect it to happen after noon, as soon as they know where Stoll's contract is going.

Hedman, Johnson, Kucherov, Palat, and Bishop all need new contracts within the next two years. Quite frankly they're all more important players to the Lightning than Stamkos right now.

Not to say you're wrong, but this is amazing. Almost all of these guys have 1, maybe 2 'good' seasons so far, all while playing with Stamkos, who himself has had 5-6 elite-tier seasons.

This feels all a bit like Chicago telling Toews or Kane thanks but no thanks, we're keeping Versteeg and Saad instead.

yyzjohn

Banned
Not to say you're wrong, but this is amazing. Almost all of these guys have 1, maybe 2 'good' seasons imso far, all why playing with Stamkos, who himself has had 5-6 elite-tier seasons.

This feels all a bit like Chicago telling Toews or Kane thanks but no thanks, we're keeping Versteeg and Saad instead.

I thought the same thing. It's amazing how quickly fans turn on their own players. Stamkos has been the best player for them for years, but now all of a sudden let's just dump him. Similar to Kessel here in Toronto, although Phil never reached the same heights as Stamkos.

ZeroGravity

Not to say you're wrong, but this is amazing. Almost all of these guys have 1, maybe 2 'good' seasons so far, all while playing with Stamkos, who himself has had 5-6 elite-tier seasons.

The difference is that all those players contribute something to the team other than goals, and don't take nights off. Stamkos has become a huge liability away from the puck, and his effort some nights is extremely questionable. None of those players actually play with Stamkos either except on the PP, which is garbage.

Also your mistake is assuming that Stamkos is somehow still on the same level of a Toews or Kane. He's not. And he wants to be paid the same level as those guys, but hasn't won a damn thing to be deserving of it.

lol at comparing Johnson, Palat, and Kucherov to fucking Versteeg though.

George Richards ‏@GeorgeRichards 5m5 minutes ago
Hearing that the #FlaPanthers have sent C Dave Bolland to their AHL team in Portland. No waivers, going on a 'conditioning' assignment.
7 retweets 4 likes

George Richards ‏@GeorgeRichards 2m2 minutes ago
#FlaPanthers signed Dave Bolland as a third-line C to five year deal worth $5.5 per season. Been a rough season; demoted to 4th line W

OH MY, WHO COULD'VE PREDICTED SUCH A THING.

Socreges

Banned
I thought the same thing. It's amazing how quickly fans turn on their own players. Stamkos has been the best player for them for years, but now all of a sudden let's just dump him. Similar to Kessel here in Toronto, although Phil never reached the same heights as Stamkos.
To be fair, Zero has been down on Stamkos for at least the last two seasons at least. This isn't sudden. It's the expectations that were set for Stamkos when he became elite, and how he's no longer there.

Id agree, though, that Stamkos is very important to the Lightning still. But Yzerman would likely be cannibalizing the franchise's future if he gave Stamkos ~$11m. Suddenly he can't resign multiple players, combined which are certainly more valuable than one Stamkos.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Brady Skjei is confirmed for tonight's lineup, making his NHL debut well ahead of schedule.

Sounds like the D will be some variation of:

Staal-McDonagh
Yandle-McIlrath
Skjei-Boyle

Those bottom two pairings will likely mix and match, though.

zroid

Banned
Brady Skjei is confirmed for tonight's lineup, making his NHL debut well ahead of schedule.

Sounds like the D will be some variation of:

Staal-McDonagh
Yandle-McIlrath
Skjei-Boyle

Those bottom two pairings will likely mix and match, though.

No Girardi?! :O

ZeroGravity

To be fair, Zero has been down on Stamkos for at least the last two seasons at least. This isn't sudden. It's the expectations that were set for Stamkos when he became elite, and how he's no longer there.

Id agree, though, that Stamkos is very important to the Lightning still. But Yzerman would likely be cannibalizing the franchise's future if he gave Stamkos ~$11m. Suddenly he can't resign multiple players, combined which are certainly more valuable than one Stamkos.
This is the core of the issue right here. If Stamkos was still the same player he was before the injury, I'd say sure, sign him for whatever he wants, because he was a top 5 player in the league whose value alone was worth multiple players.

Now? Not so much, and the Lightning have plenty of good young players that already form a solid core on their own. And I don't think Yzerman's afraid of making the hard choice of letting Stamkos walk.

From Friedman's 30 Thoughts
6. During the last week, I fiddled around with some potential trades for Stamkos, should it come to that. You know what made a lot of sense? Montreal.

That’s right up Marc Bergevin’s alley, going for it with the best possible rental. Stamkos, who has a no-move, would probably agree to play with old friend PK Subban. But can you see Steve Yzerman sending him to a potential postseason opponent? Me neither

Let's fucking Sign Stamkos

WE DO IT

Cake Boss

Banned
I wonder what Yzerman can get for him as a rental in a couple of months.

He killed Sather in that StLouis deal.

Not sure if many teams will be willing to give up top end assets on Stamkos with a high possibility that he will just sign with Toronto in the summer.

ZeroGravity

Not sure if many teams will be willing to give up top end assets on Stamkos with a high possibility that he will just sign with Toronto in the summer.
Going to be a hard contract to move in-season though without taking on salary.

Samyy

From September. hehehehehehehehehe

Thank fuck we dodged that bullet

Didn't Vermette fetch a first?
Teams will pay for the rental, obviously not going to get value but they'll get something and if it reaches that point Yzerman will probably take what he can get.

RevoDS

Nooo Kassian, you were supposed to stay in rehab until the end of the season :( He'll never play as a Hab, will take up cap space and has absolutely no value in a trade now.

zroid

Banned
Stoll claimed by Minny?

loll

and Dreger says there were multiple claims. Good lord. That means from teams better than Minny in the standings, who are pretty good themselves.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Stoll claimed by Minny?

loll

and Dreger says there were multiple claims. Good lord. That means from teams better than Minny in the standings, who are pretty good themselves.

That's why the Rangers put him on waivers. They expected him to be claimed.

He's a great faceoff guy and good depth center with multiple Stanley Cups, on a bargain $800k contract. There's a lot of value there.

The Rangers are just cutting bait with him because Dominic Moore fits into AV's system better at center, and the transition to wing hasn't worked for Stoll.

The big pain in the ass about this is that we're going to get to see Stoll again in just a couple days. :D

Socreges

Banned
Nooo Kassian, you were supposed to stay in rehab until the end of the season :( He'll never play as a Hab, will take up cap space and has absolutely no value in a trade now.
Yeah, what a travesty. Positive recovery for a human being who's struggled with addiction? And for whose benefit? Did he even think of how this would affect the Habs' totally manageable roster situation? Selfish twat.

zroid

Banned
That's why the Rangers put him on waivers. They expected him to be claimed.

He's a great faceoff guy and good depth center with multiple Stanley Cups, on a bargain $800k contract. There's a lot of value there.

The Rangers are just cutting bait with him because Dominic Moore fits into AV's system better at center, and the transition to wing hasn't worked for Stoll.

The big pain in the ass about this is that we're going to get to see Stoll again in just a couple days. :D

I think it says a lot that only playoff teams put in a claim for him. Goes to show that GMs still overvalue those qualities because they think you need it to "get over the hump" or whatever.

Cake Boss

Banned
Freidman saying that Tyson Barrie can be had. Trying to link Vancouver to it.

If it true. There is your top 4 dman Morray you stupid slut. Give them Ceci, Lazar and 1st for all I care.

Top Bottom