• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2015 |OT| How John Tortorella Stole Christmas

Quick

Banned
Kassian cleared waivers, not surprising and this was Therrien's response when asked about him

Savage

damn_girl_psych.gif

TUSR

Banned
One of my co-workers decided to give a gift package meant for our department to one of our partners instead. My boss asked us if we got the package, and that's when I figured it out.

My co-worker fessed up to the mistake. I told him to take it back, since it's ours, and his response to this is "that's lame," assuming that it's too late to take it back and it would be rude. I got annoyed since, if I hadn't been told about it, nobody would have gotten anything, so I just ran over and took it back. Now he doesn't want his gift because he doesn't want to get tied into it.

okay cool.

sounds like typical office shit

Del Zotto and Gudas are having really good seasons, apart from point production which is more of a team issue. I don't know if MDZ will get re-signed in summer 2017 but I'm glad he's here till then so the young guys can be sheltered as they come in.

I have been loving Gudas. Really surprised me by his play

Had a job shadow this morning at a place I would love to intern at in the summer.

Shadow went great, some really good people there. But the internship is pretty much out of the question.

Kind of a bummer. And talking to the lady in charge of internships, she was saying I need to put myself out there more at more places (yup), be extremely flexible hours wise (sure), intern at more than one place at a time (okay I guess...), and offer to do it unpaid.

It is impossible for me to do that last part. I could not afford to live if I did that. The fact that some people just expect that is incredibly frustrating.

One of my co-workers decided to give a gift package meant for our department to one of our partners instead. My boss asked us if we got the package, and that's when I figured it out.

My co-worker fessed up to the mistake. I told him to take it back, since it's ours, and his response to this is "that's lame," assuming that it's too late to take it back and it would be rude. I got annoyed since, if I hadn't been told about it, nobody would have gotten anything, so I just ran over and took it back. Now he doesn't want his gift because he doesn't want to get tied into it.

okay cool.

Should've taken his cut without telling him, when asked for it,
"that's lame".

Entropia

No One Remembers
Had a job shadow this morning at a place I would love to intern at in the summer.

Shadow went great, some really good people there. But the internship is pretty much out of the question.

Kind of a bummer. And talking to the lady in charge of internships, she was saying I need to put myself out there more at more places (yup), be extremely flexible hours wise (sure), intern at more than one place at a time (okay I guess...), and offer to do it unpaid.

It is impossible for me to do that last part. I could not afford to live if I did that. The fact that some people just expect that is incredibly frustrating.

Fuck that. If they want your services they have to pay.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Stepan and Klein will travel with the team but will not play tomorrow night in Minnesota. Dan Girardi will not be traveling with the team, which means he's out for at least 2 more games (pretty amazing considering he had only missed 5 games in his entire career coming into this week).

That means that former Minnesota Wild season ticket holder Brady Skjei will play his second career NHL game back home in Xcel Energy Center. Somebody light the FUBAR signal.

Socreges

Banned

But you expected to get paid? Working/training for free is often the idea behind internships. Otherwise you'd look for a co-op or a full position. And if you're in a field/economy where employers have enough potential interested people, they have no need to pay the interns. Particularly if they're a place people "would love to intern at".

Sounds like she was suggesting you'd intern part-time so consider getting a paid job on the side, as demanding as that might be.

Fuck that. If they want your services they have to pay.
They'll find someone else, I'd expect.

I've actually never been an intern. Co-op and entry level is where it's at.

Quick

Banned
sounds like typical office shit

Office politics is stupid.

But this situation was just inconsiderate to the rest of us.

And he fessed up to me by saying, "So, [boss's name] sent a gift package for us and I gave it to our partners by mistake. Funny, right?"

Me: "You wanna take it back then? It's ours."

Him: "No man, that's lame."

Me: "...okay?"

Should've taken his cut without telling him, when asked for it,
"that's lame".

I have it. It's actually a box of some really good cookies. I left his share on our kitchen table for anyone to take from.

Socreges

Banned
Office politics is stupid.

But this situation was just inconsiderate to the rest of us.

And he fessed up to me by saying, "So, [boss's name] sent a gift package for us and I gave it to our partners by mistake. Funny, right?"

Me: "You wanna take it back then? It's ours."

Him: "No man, that's lame."

Me: "...okay?"

I have it. It's actually a box of some really good cookies. I left his share on our kitchen table for anyone to take from.
Seems like a lot of hassle and emotion over cookies...?

Quick

Banned
Seems like a lot of hassle and emotion over cookies...?

I had no idea it was cookies until I opened the package, but my boss made a big deal out of it when I was talking to him. He didn't specify what it was.

There were small trinkets in there as well, but cookies mostly. They look expensive.

I had a admin job working for NorskeCanada after i graduated uni, and I remember this HUGE drama played out over t-shirts being made to commemorate a plant shutdown. Grown men, with advanced engineering degrees, were losing their shit over getting these things made. It ended up being so bad that they scrapped the idea entirely.

Stepan and Klein will travel with the team but will not play tomorrow night in Minnesota. Dan Girardi will not be traveling with the team, which means he's out for at least 2 more games (pretty amazing considering he had only missed 5 games in his entire career coming into this week).

That means that former Minnesota Wild season ticket holder Brady Skjei will play his second career NHL game back home in Xcel Energy Center. Somebody light the FUBAR signal.

:looool

The Rangers have a surprisingly awesome amount of Minnesotans on the team. I love it.

But you expected to get paid? Working/training for free is often the idea behind internships. Otherwise you'd look for a co-op or a full position. And if you're in a field/economy where employers have enough potential interested people, they have no need to pay the interns. Particularly if they're a place people "would love to intern at".

Sounds like she was suggesting you'd intern part-time so consider getting a paid job on the side, as demanding as that might be.

They'll find someone else, I'd expect.

I've actually never been an intern. Co-op and entry level is where it's at.

For most of the companies around here, internships are basically entry-level positions. Either in a part time format where you gradually learn what working their full time would entail, or doing the basic grunt work full-time for a short period. My professor told me something outlandish like 85-90% of companies in town with interns at my university offer full time positions at the end of them.

It involves a lot of training, sure, but most of it is basically getting labor for cheap prices with an ending period already established if things don't go well.

Paid internships are the norm here. Often with comparatively good compensation. $10-$15+ an hour. Which is why her suggestion that I offer to work for free seems outlandish to me.

zroid

Banned
The Leafs signing him for $80 million and then it turns out this current season is for real and he's actually Lecavalier 2.0 would be the most Leafs thing ever

zroid

Banned
What would be the over/under on how quickly he's run out of town?

I bet he'd be cut a ridiculous amount of slack by the media for about two years (just enough time for people to forget how much they slobbered over him this season) and then it'd turn ugly in a hurry

Canada's WJC LINES

**Forwards:**

Perlini-Point-Virtanen

Crouse-Strome-Marner

Beauvillier-Barzal-Gauthier

Chartier-Stephens-Konecny

Hawryluk-Quenneville-Merkley

**Defense:**

Fleury-Juulsen

Chabot-Hicketts

Sanheim-Hickey

Lauzon-McKeown

Extra:

Dermott

Quick

Banned
I had a admin job working for NorskeCanada after i graduated uni, and I remember this HUGE drama played out over t-shirts being made to commemorate a plant shutdown. Grown men, with advanced engineering degrees, were losing their shit over getting these things made. It ended up being so bad that they scrapped the idea entirely.

Damn.

Ghost Bear has as many goals as Crosby

maybe I will spoil tag this if people are at work.

I'd swap it out with a non-Pedobear version. :lol

What would be the over/under on how quickly he's run out of town?

Let's say it's a max contract (7 years). I'd say three years if he isn't on form.

It would definitely be such a Leaf thing, though.

Leafs are great at bringing back the "big-name" hometown players, but it generally amounts to nothing on the ice.

Off the top of my head so far:

Lindros - past his prime, injured a lot.
Peca - wasn't bad until he got injured.
Clarkson - lol.
Bolland - too expensive for what he does.

Curufinwe

I have been loving Gudas. Really surprised me by his play

I thought he could be top 4 for us, but top pairing is a surprise.

There's a hilarious HFB thread from the time of the Coburn trade where various people call him a #6/7, less valuable than Emerson Etem, a dime a dozen player, slower/worse than Luke Schenn, etc.

yyzjohn

Banned
Bobo Mac suggesting a sign-and-trade is interesting, since Stamkos could get an eight-year deal then be traded to his team of choice, vs. seven years max from another team.

I wonder what the NHL/PA think about sign-and-trades. I don't think I've ever seen it happen in recent times at least.

Nothing new in that article, just a whole lot of speculation.

zroid

Banned

well yes, there's nothing explicitly new, but the article itself implies that Bob has off the record information, since that's basically what he does

it's not like he's just guessing based on what's publicly known

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Can't read the article right now but on twitter at least he made it very clear the article was all his own speculation.

Not sure if he says the same in the article itself though.

Quick

Banned
Can't read the article right now but on twitter at least he made it very clear the article was all his own speculation.

Not sure if he says the same in the article itself though.

Yeah, it's all speculation, Bobo makes it perfectly clear.

He laid out three possible options for Stamkos to leave Tampa Bay:

Traded as a rental before the deadline
Walks away in the off-season
Sign-and-trade to another team

Top Bottom