• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

Socreges

Banned
You don't know what Gillis is asking for, so you can't really say we've seen it in practice. He could be being very specific/picky with what he's after. We just don't know.

The whole "contract is a huge issue" thing is media babble. Whether or not it really will get in the way of the Canucks getting a good deal still remains to be seen. I don't believe it will. GM's are paid to win games. I doubt a $2 million per year cap hit at the end of the deal is going to get in the way of a deal if a GM feels they can get the extra wins they need to make the playoffs or do some damage with Luongo in their lineup.
Dude, this is the second time in a few days where you've lost sight of how the conversations started. :p

I said "it is unreasonably long and makes teams hesitant to take it on." (THIS IS TRUE), not that it's a "huge issue"

And you replied "The contract thing is bullshit. When Luongo retires, it's off the books." (THIS IS UNTRUE)

And yes, we don't have absolute certainty as to what's gone on. But we know that Gillis has been eagerly trying last summer and for the past month to move Luongo, but hasn't been able to. You think the contract hasn't been an obstacle? Come on, son

CCF23

Dude, this is the second time in a few days where you've lost sight of how the conversations started. :p

I said "it is unreasonably long and makes teams hesitant to take it on." (THIS IS TRUE), not that it's a "huge issue"

And you replied "The contract thing is bullshit. When Luongo retires, it's off the books." (THIS IS UNTRUE)

And yes, we don't have absolute certainty as to what's gone on. But we know that Gillis has been eagerly trying last summer and for the past month to move Luongo, but hasn't been able to. You think the contract hasn't been an obstacle? Come on, son

You can't unequivocally say that that's true, though. Gillis hasn't been trying to "eagerly" move Luongo. If he just wanted to simply unload him, he could've moved him ages ago when the Leafs reportedly offered Schenn. Gillis is a patient man, as has been proven by his actions time and time again. He's clearly looking for a specific package that hasn't come along yet. Does that mean that teams are "hesitant" to take on Luongo's contract? Not necessarily.

I've already admitted that I was incorrect with the retirement thing, but that doesn't change my point about it being speculative that the contract is such a big hurdle in a potential Luongo deal.

iNnSUsrLDYCmD.gif

Kane is such a douche, but god damn if that wasn't the greatest haircut of all time. Hahaha. I loved it so much that I don't even hate him anymore.

Tabris

What I love about watching our 1st line is there's just so many times they look like they are on the PP but it's 5 on 5. Doesn't always lead to goals but it's fun to watch!

Dreger: Sources say there are trade discussions between the Avalanche and Eastern Conference teams. One team told me earlier that the expected return is a roster player and a top prospect. There is going to have to be a tough decision for Greg Sherman and the Avalanche as they sit last in the Western Conference and they might be thinking about the draft and building for the future.

Revenant

fell asleep at the wheel boys! mixed bag but another point is somewhat of a consolation prize.

Two good teams going at it, somebody had to lose.

Socreges

Banned
You can't unequivocally say that that's true, though. Gillis hasn't been trying to "eagerly" move Luongo. If he just wanted to simply unload him, he could've moved him ages ago when the Leafs reportedly offered Schenn. Gillis is a patient man, as has been proven by his actions time and time again. He's clearly looking for a specific package that hasn't come along yet. Does that mean that teams are "hesitant" to take on Luongo's contract? Not necessarily.
So now we do know what's going on behind the scenes? Huh?

And he hasn't been eagerly trying to move Luongo? He hasn't done various interviews talking up Luongo? He hasn't travelled to watch a Washington game in order to get people talking about Washington potentially being interested? He hasn't hinted to the media about potential deals in place and not released any specifics, despite professing previously that he disliked the media being used in this way? He hasn't said to the media that talks go on "almost every day about Luongo" (if this is even true, it's because he's often the one starting these conversations)? etc

Gillis is certainly a patient man. And he's certainly waiting for a specific package. I've said this many times. But he's not getting what he's looking for, not because GMs don't see Luongo as an elite goaltender, but because they're not willing to pay full value when Luongo's contract comes with risks. GMs have publicly stated this:

George McPhee said:
“We have not had one conversation about goaltending,” he said of Gillis. “And on TV they’re talking about what prospect I’m going to give up. Well, I could never take [Luongo’s] contract.”

Top Bottom