• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

Socreges

Banned
Kuemper actually ducked to avoid that Hansen shot, letting it go in. You don't see that often.

Parise and Suter have definitely made a difference in Minny. They're not nearly as good when playing the Canucks now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If the team is going to be this unstable all season then I'd rather they sell the vets then pull a Leafs and miss the playoffs by 5 points

How come is it that anyone who was doing great last season now sucks?

Ugh we should be 5-1-0 in the last 6 games. No question. Thanks to fucking Clemmer we are 3-1-2. Fuck everyting that is Clemmensen I hope an iguana takes off a finger or two.

CCF23

So now we do know what's going on behind the scenes? Huh?

And he hasn't been eagerly trying to move Luongo? He hasn't done various interviews talking up Luongo? He hasn't travelled to watch a Washington game in order to get people talking about Washington potentially being interested? He hasn't hinted to the media about potential deals in place and not released any specifics, despite professing previously that he disliked the media being used in this way? He hasn't said to the media that talks go on "almost every day about Luongo" (if this is even true, it's because he's often the one starting these conversations)? etc

Gillis is certainly a patient man. And he's certainly waiting for a specific package. I've said this many times. But he's not getting what he's looking for, not because GMs don't see Luongo as an elite goaltender, but because they're not willing to pay full value when Luongo's contract comes with risks. GMs have publicly stated this:

You quoted a very specific situation. McPhee is in a mid tier market and already has two players on massive, long term contracts (Ovechkin and Backstrom). There are very few other teams in that position.

As for your second paragraph, most of it is speculation on your part:

Yes, he's been trying to move Luongo, for a specific package, not for the sake of moving him.

Yes, he has done various interviews talking up Luongo. This is obvious. When you're trying to get a specific (high) price, you're going to talk up your asset.

Speculation on your part about the trip to Washington. Gillis and Gillman were traveling throughout the Eastern Conference and scouted multiple teams.

Yes, he floated that into the media. He wants the best deal he can get.

You have NO way of knowing "he's often the one starting the conversations". You literally just pulled that from your ass, unless you've hacked Gillis' phone.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Ugh we should be 5-1-0 in the last 6 games. No question. Thanks to fucking Clemmer we are 3-1-2. Fuck everyting that is Clemmensen I hope an iguana takes off a finger or two.
Any idea who starts next? I have no idea what to expect from the Habs right now. Even when they play great and dominate they find a way to blow it. I'm just really happy they're scoring more then 1 goal a game as pitiful as it sounds.

Any idea who starts next? I have no idea what to expect from the Habs right now. Even when they play great and dominate they find a way to blow it. I'm just really happy they're scoring more then 1 goal a game as pitiful as it sounds.
Not sure. It won't be Clemmer for sure. Curious thing is we have 6 dman active. Jove got IR'd for another week. Add that there hasn't been a call up to be the 7th dman that leaves the active roster at 22. Just enough space for Markstrom to come in and we can scratch Clemmer. I wouldn't be surprised if Marky gets a chance to repeat his performance against the Habs.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Eller + LeBlanc for Muller

At least one rumor site mentioned Lars Eller from Mtl. as possible name in ROR trade.

G6ZF9.gif

Socreges

Banned
You quoted a very specific situation. McPhee is in a mid tier market and already has two players on massive, long term contracts (Ovechkin and Backstrom). There are very few other teams in that position.
You have just conceded that Luongo's contract, in at least one explicit instance, has been a hindrance to his being traded. Yet you're somehow acting like this isn't relevant. Baffling.

CCF23 said:
As for your second paragraph, most of it is speculation on your part:

Yes, he's been trying to move Luongo, for a specific package, not for the sake of moving him.

Yes, he has done various interviews talking up Luongo. This is obvious. When you're trying to get a specific (high) price, you're going to talk up your asset.

Speculation on your part about the trip to Washington. Gillis and Gillman were traveling throughout the Eastern Conference scouting most of the Eastern teams.

Yes, he floated that into the media. He wants the best deal he can get.
Yet... he's not eager? You can bury this in semantics, but then I'll rephrase: he has been actively and constantly trying to move Luongo, but hasn't been able to.

CCF23 said:
You have NO way of knowing "he's often the one starting the conversations". You literally just pulled that from your ass, unless you've hacked Gillis' phone.
I used something called the power of deduction, mang. It's a wonderful thing. You can use other information to deduce more information despite that information not being explicitly stated. Such as, when phone calls are allegedly being had "almost every day" and often = many instances, we can safely infer that Gillis has placed "many" of these phone calls. The alternative is that the phone has just been ringing off the hook with these GMs inquiring about Luongo and Gillis has just been nice enough to indulge them!

In short, and my final word because this is becoming increasingly tedious: If you still think that Luongo's contract hasn't been a hindrance to him being moved, you're nuts.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yeah, we're playing pretty well. Game is boring. Typical Wild game.

This winning streak feels so weird/not noticeable because of the teams we've been playing.

Colorado
Chicago
Edmonton
Minnesota
Calgary
(Minnesota)

The only win where we actually had to play well (although the game wasn't that good) was against Chicago, the rest were all "meh" wins.

Socreges

Banned
Darren Pang is totally not solidifying his 'I'm not an old-fashioned white guy that says inappropriate things about black people' image by desperately pushing his catch phrase "Holy jumpin'!"

CCF23

Soc, I'm not saying it hasn't or won't be a tough sell for some teams, I'm saying that I don't buy the notion that the contract is going to lessen the eventual return for Luongo. That, and I'm sick of constant media speculation being passed off as if it's fact.

I feel like you're doing a lot of speculating, and trying to pass it off as if you know things you have no way of knowing.

You're right, though. It has become tedious. Agree to disagree.

This winning streak feels so weird/not noticeable because of the teams we've been playing.

Colorado
Chicago
Edmonton
Minnesota
Calgary
(Minnesota)

The only win where we actually had to play well (although the game wasn't that good) was against Chicago, the rest were all "meh" wins.

It's good to see that we have played well in the majority of those games, though, and haven't been squeaking out wins for the most part. Feels different from when we were winning last year, but didn't really deserve to.

Socreges

Banned
Soc, I'm not saying it hasn't or won't be a tough sell for some teams, I'm been saying that I don't buy the notion that the contract is going to lessen the eventual return for Luongo.
Well, it might. We don't know. I'm hoping that eventually some team will cave and pay Gillis' price, but at some point Luongo will need to be unloaded regardless.

That, and I'm sick of constant media speculation being passed off as if it's fact.
Agreed.

You're right, though. It has become tedious. Agree to disagree.
I don't agree to that.

CCF23

Well, it might. We don't know. I'm hoping that eventually some team will cave and pay Gillis' price, but at some point Luongo will need to be unloaded regardless.

Agreed.

I don't agree to that.

Here's a picture of a dog riding a bike:

1496949592_9dc327ae77.jpeg

In conclusion: ketchup chips.

Socreges

Banned
Ballard playing so well makes me wonder about the buyout during the summer... :/
They could always buy him out and keep him around for $1.5m? Pay him twice, only have the cheaper one hit the cap? Gotta pay someone. But they definitely buy him out. $4.2m is far too much for a bottom pairing dman and someone that's been so inconsistent.

Top Bottom