• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

calder

An interesting article on realignment possibilities:

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1460

That's a pretty cool read. The one problem is that it uses travel as the one factor, and while travel is the most important aspect time zones are almost as important for central/western clubs so the algorithmically generated options don't work as well as they seem. Although looking at the maps more inevitably at least a half dozen teams have to play against teams mainly from a different time zone so I guess it's as good as can be.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Your punishment for having the most soff schedule in the entire NHL for the first third of the season.
At least you've been able to enjoy being first in the division for a while. Once the B's start playing more than, like, two games a week, things should go back to normal. :)

That's a pretty cool read. The one problem is that it uses travel as the one factor, and while travel is the most important aspect time zones are almost as important for central/western clubs so the algorithmically generated options don't work as well as they seem. Although looking at the maps more inevitably at least a half dozen teams have to play against teams mainly from a different time zone so I guess it's as good as can be.

The two other pieces are interesting reads as well:

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1457
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1458

Is the League's realignment from last year still the first choice now?

Not really sure, supposedly the PA and NHL are meeting / fighting over it now.

PA's complaints:

1. They weren't consulted or given sample schedules and travel estimates
  2. Harder to make the playoffs in 8-team divisions versus 7-team divisions

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Acid08

Banned
Clowe has a disciplinary hearing on Monday, guessing he won't be playing tonight.

If he gets suspended I have a feeling the second line will start producing.

Marvie_3

Banned
I missed last nights game but I might watch it tomorrow. How awesome was it?

What line did Carcillo play on?
It was nice.

Carcillo was mostly on the 4th line. Spent a little time on the 1st line during the 2nd period.
Whatever the realignment, Vancouver will just end up with the most travel time again ANYWAY. We should really be used to this by now -sigh-
Yeah, it's real tough cramming the whole team into a short bus and sleeping 6 to a room at a Days Inn.

Parch

Of all those possibilities, none of them have the 4 western canadian teams in the same division. Winnipeg won't get involved in those rivalries.

Whatever the final decision, some teams won't like it. Can't please everybody.

TB and FLA seem to get roped into a Central conference with STL and CHI a lot in his projections. Almost all of these ignore DET's rivalries however.
07-best-32-const-LV-ONT-QUE-8-team-divs.png

Of all those possibilities, none of them have the 4 western canadian teams in the same division. Winnipeg won't get involved in those rivalries.

Whatever the final decision, some teams won't like it. Can't please everybody.

I think one of his constraints was no more than 3 Canadian teams in the same division in the West. At least for the 6 team division projections:

1. These teams must be in the same division: TB and FLA; ANA and LA; NYR, NYI, and NJ; PHI and PIT; CGY and EDM.

2. A division can span at most two different time zones (example: the division with VAN and MIN in the upper left spans three time zones, so we remove it).

3. At most three Canadian teams can be in one division (example: the division with VAN and MIN has only one American team).

Parch

Even with the Van and Wpg time zone problem, flights within Canada and avoiding border customs might be worth it.

A big part of the realignment is the Phoenix situation. Do they plan ahead or just end up requiring another realignment when they move.

A Buffalo loss and a BJs win would put us in position for the #1 pick. And I would only have to watch 30 more games of this team being awful for MacKinnon. Hmm..

In other news, I think Ville Leino basically called out Pominville for being a soft captain today:

"It’s pro hockey and we’ve got to demand more out of coaches, players and out of everybody. One of the things here I’ve noticed just being here over a year is we’ve got to have higher demands, higher priorities on the games and working better, keeping each other accountable here.

"It’s not always a happy family. You’ve got to have some controversy, some guys pushing each other. It’s not all smiles and happy and be nice – because nice guys usually finish last."

He's just used to "Dry Island."

Chris R

I might go see them next month when I'm in Vegas :lol

I'm probably going to fly down sometime next year to watch Alaska play them (well, the hockey will be the secondary attraction, Las Vegas is just a better place to watch the local team play on the road, sorry Bakersfield and Stockton).

Acid08

Banned
I'm probably going to fly down sometime next year to watch Alaska play them (well, the hockey will be the secondary attraction, Las Vegas is just a better place to watch the local team play on the road, sorry Bakersfield and Stockton).
lol!

Stockton and Bakersfield bloooooooow. Thunder games are pretty fun though.

Top Bottom