• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

Acid08

Banned
I'm turning 23 in July, see my post above. You're not special. :p

That lineup contains so much NOPE. No way Kassian will be scratched, and no way that's gonna be our second line. And no, Jensen isn't coming back so soon, Spectre. It'll be Spectre's lineup but with Burrows instead of Jensen.
FUCK JULY

Cactus

Banned
I'm turning 23 in July, see my post above.
!!!

Cx6QIDp.jpg

Heretic

Turning 23 in August.

Heretic what day is your birthday in August???

ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod

The 26th! When's yours!?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
On a different, much more entertaining, somewhat more hockey-related note:

Pre-orders and beta-access to Franchise Hockey Manager starts on monday!

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/fhm-general-discussions/228538-beta-what-expect.html

[...]Bottom line: if you're planning on pre-ordering and expect to be playing a smooth, fully-featured, bug-free version of the game on Monday, you're not going to be happy with what you get. It's a beta, and betas crash and frustrate and confuse and break, and have ugly things like missing graphics and debugging tags in the text.

That said, here's what I can tell you about what you'll have to play with on Monday:

Playable leagues:

The tentative playable list for now is NHL, AHL, ECHL, KHL, DEL, Elitserien, SM-Liiga, WHL, OHL, QMJHL, and the top two levels in the UK. [...] Of the playable leagues, the most at-risk ones are the CHL leagues; they're a package deal because of the Memorial Cup, but the player ratings in a couple of them may be a little more incomplete than the other playable leagues right now. [...]

The Database:

Team and league data is mostly finished; player data varies widely by league. There aren't a lot of specific attributes set in the database at the moment; instead, a template/target ability system is used to generate realistic attributes for the players. [...] In most cases, that fine-tuning work is just beginning; some leagues are a little farther ahead in that regard.[...] The accuracy of rules implementation varies widely from league to league. Some things (e.g., the AHL developent rule) are approximated or abstracted right now, others (some of the more unique KHL roster rules) aren't implemented at all.

The AI:

The AI is OK at a few things right now, mediocre at many others, and just plain bad in places. It can choose lineups and build lines reasonably well and has a crude but effective grasp of tactics, but isn't that great at managing its roster. Not terrible, it just signs some strange contracts, tends to bungle the re-signing of its own players, and likes to collect and hoard starting goalies.

The trading AI in particular is very much a work in progress. We try different things, sometimes it gets better, sometimes it gets worse. It wasn't that awful a couple of weeks ago, but in the last few builds...well, on a scale of Mike Milbury to Sam Pollock, right now it's at Rejean Houle.

Stats:

Very good in places, but there are still some issues; at the moment, scoring has been too low in the last few builds and we're trying to figure out why (as I write this, we think we've found the problem - an issue with mysteriously inflated goalie ratings - but haven't implemented and tested a fix yet.)

The nature of the ratings will lead to a few noticeable stats oddities; PIM distribution is one that comes to mind - the NHL and a couple of other leagues should be OK in this regard at the start of the game, but the solution (a specific attribute setting) will take a while to implement across the rest of the database.

Tracking of advanced stats (Corsi etc.) isn't incorporated yet ("real-time stats" - hits, takeaways, etc. - are, though.)

Interface:

Placeholder graphics for team/league logos and player faces, of course. [...]
The in-game interface (where you can actually watch a game's play-by-play) is very rudimentary at the moment; the play-by-play text is being worked on but right now all you'll get is a short notice of whatever event (shot, turnover, goal, etc.) has just occurred. It also seems to have a couple of nasty crash bugs that can hit at the end of the game.

Performance:

Stability and crash fixing are priorities this week, but we won't get everything fixed. Some testers are reporting a lot more instability than others, and we're still trying to figure out the reasons. For most people, it's possible to let the game run hands-off for multiple seasons without it crashing.
[...]

Historical Mode:

Lots to talk about here. First off, Historical mode isn't going to have a great deal of flexibility in its setup to begin with. That'll improve as we go along, but to start with the setup options will be limited.

[...]

Online Leagues:

No functionality at all at the moment, and I can't make any promises yet about a timeline for when it'll happen; that'll depend on what the workload looks like in the coming months - it's going to need a big, dedicated chunk of time to do properly.

International Play:

Same story. Not in now, we want to add it but can't say for sure when it's coming.[...]

Full text under the link!

Solo

1983 was a great time to be born. I remember playing the original Zelda in my basement while my older sisters watched a New Kids on the Block concert on VHS upstairs. You kids and your Pokemons know nothing about what it's like to be real.

Playing Super Mario Bros 2, seeing Batman and TMNT in theatres, real cartoons. 1983 is indeed the nectar of the gods.

I SAW VANILLA ICE'S MAGNUM OPUS "NINJA RAP" IN THEATRES. TWICE.

Smiley90

Champion's League/Memorial Cup for the pro hockey world

NHL
AHL
KHL
Swedish league
German
Swiss

etc.

WHO WOULD WIN?!

That already exists. It's called the Victoria Cup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Cup_(ice_hockey)

Not that NHL teams take it that seriously, but... yeah. That's probably also why it's sadly on hiatus. Basically, the top 2/3 teams from the european leagues have a tournament (with group stages and playoffs, essentially a Champions league, soccer style), and the winner of that tournament then plays the winner of the Stanley Cup.

I know because the Swiss team (who won the European tournament) beat the Blackhawks after they'd won the cup.

Playing Super Mario Bros 2, seeing Batman and TMNT in theatres, real cartoons. 1983 is indeed the nectar of the gods.

Fuck yeah! There's nothing quite like the feeling of "I was totally the target market for this!"

kTNJRx3.jpg

Stasis

All you guys who are about to hit 30... it's all down hill from here man, it's all down hill!

Just kidding, it's pretty great still. I'm 32. Desire for a radical change of career has me back in university right now, so I get to feel like I'm 20 a few days a week. It's been... eye-opening.

RC

Banned

We witnessed living legends at their peak. We didn't just read about Gretzky and Lemiux we saw them play and collected their hockey cards.
We were there during the infancy if the internet, downloading music off napster and asking a/s/l on ICQ.
You complain about playing games online with anonymous strangers. We played games on our couch with our friends. Trying to get through Battletoads.
What you heard, we experienced, what you thought, we know, what you are, is what we were. And what we are now, is something you'll never be. 1983.

Smiley90

We witnessed living legends at their peak. We didn't just read about Gretzky and Lemiux we saw them play and collected their hockey cards.
We were there during the infancy if the internet, downloading music off napster and asking a/s/l on ICQ.
You complain about playing games online with anonymous strangers. We played games on our couch with our friends. Trying to get through Battletoads.
What you heard, we experienced, what you thought, we know, what you are, is what we were. And what we are, is something you'll never be. 1983.

To be fair, I did that when I was younger too, and I was born in 1990. Napster isn't that old.

What you heard, we experienced, what you thought, we know, what you are, is what we were. And what we are now, is something you'll never be. 1983.

That's beautiful. Avatar changed to reflect awesome late 80s / early 90s nostalgia.

How many fights will there be in tonight's Leafs/Habs game? Over/Under 3...

I think one. Brown and Prust maybe. I don't think the Habs have anybody that can realistically go toe to toe with McLaren or Orr.

gaming_noob

How many fights will there be in tonight's Leafs/Habs game? Over/Under 3...

I think one. Brown and Prust maybe. I don't think the Habs have anybody that can realistically go toe to toe with McLaren or Orr.

I hope Prust gets a good beat down. Really started to dislike him during the lockout...

I wish the NHL would do something like the Champions' League or FA Cup.

Maybe the Hawks would do better in theirs than Arsenal do in theirs

ATF487

I turned 23 early January, so I'll be 24 next January. So I'm the leader of the 90's right here!! Just was a few days late of being in 89.

Dang I feel old typing that out :(

I'm 23 as well (born in 89) but it's weird being this age. We're still extremely young but I feel liked I've aged a lot since I've graduated and started working

calder

Chill Schuey, you're still a pup!

Turning 40 in September at which point the red light embedded in my hand, my life clock, goes out and I get shipped off to Sleepshop.* :(

Zedge mentioned he's older than I am but not sure how much. I believe bish is 53.

* old man reference for maximum olditude

Lame. Plenty of NES and Genesis gaming was had growing up. I had older brothers so I got to experience the good parts of your crappy decade. I remember vividly when Metallica put the kabash on Napster and my brother had to do a work around to get our account working again.

My favorite part growing up when I did was the fact that the Simpsons was starting to get crappy around 4th grade (even earlier probably), but that didn't matter since Fox would show reruns of all the classics at 5:00p and 6:00p. That was the fucking shit

Lame. Plenty of NES and Genesis gaming was had growing up. I had older brothers so I got to experience the good parts of your crappy decade. I remember vividly when Metallica put the kabash on Napster and my brother had to do a work around to get our account working again.

My favorite part growing up when I did was the fact that the Simpsons was starting to get crappy around 4th grade (even earlier probably), but that didn't matter since Fox would show reruns of all the classics at 5:00p and 6:00p. That was the fucking shit

You didn't live through the year between Mr. Burns getting shot and knowing who did it. That was the shit right there. We talked about that every damn day on the school yard.

I totally called it.

You didn't live through the year between Mr. Burns getting shot and knowing who did it. That was the shit right there. We talked about that every damn day on the school yard.

I totally called it.

Troy McClure said:
This past summer, all of America was trying to solve the mystery of who shot Mr. Burns.

Then they found out it was the baby.

*cough*

I was watching season 9 the other day and can definitely recall watching it when it was airing (the Treehouse of Horrors always stick out in my mind), so I'm positive I was watching the earlier seasons as they were airing (like I said, I had older brothers so I was exposed to a lot more stuff at a young age)

Top Bottom