• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

JABEE

Wow. Teams aren't going to collude with this new CBA. Good sign for the future of the league. Offersheets are there for a reason.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
When it is submitted to the league, that means it has been signed.

ooooooooh. Well... then... so I guess that's it then. Mhmmm. Surprised it's the Flames then, I'm sure there'd be more attractive targets for ROR... I guess he'd instantly be their Nr1 C though, so there's that.

JABEE

Weird that no other team except Calgary would be willing to do this. especially since it's not one of those crazy 10 year contracts.
O'Reilly may have had other options and chose the Flames. Where is he from?

Weber picked the Flyers over the Rangers in July.

Technically no. He is going to dress, and he is going to skate warmups, but he is otherwise a game time decision.

The fact that they sent Kreider back to Connecticut this afternoon suggests he's playing, though. If Asham is out as expected, then I don't think we even HAVE any more forwards to slot in on the roster at the moment.

Doesn't sound like he's 100%, but the Rangers need him so I think he'll play.

The ROR offer sheet seems... small. And matchable by the Avs.

Cake Boss

Banned
Hes from Ontario, that 1st rounder might be a top 5 pick.

Surprised it took this long for someone to offer sheet him, you only pay a 1st and a 3rd for a 5M contract.

Spl1nter

Burke would of offer sheeted if he was still around ;)

I guess Calgary also thinks O'Rielly is better than any top 5 pick. I think its a fine to give up that 1st if its outside the top 5/6. Also would mean no Iginla trade.

pringles

Oh, and Filppula is terrible. Don't list him in the "reasons we're optimistic" list.
Fun fact: in their last 35 games, Abdelkader and Cleary have a combined 10 points and -26 rating.

They are Datsyuk's wingers right now.

Yeah regardless of Fil's play this season I think he's a better option in the top 6 than them.

calder

Surprised it took this long for someone to offer sheet him, you only pay a 1st and a 3rd for a 5M contract.
I saw some speculation, and it was just speculation, that O'Reilly may have had offers presented but didn't accept any due to a) maybe wanting to see something better or b) not wanting the Avs to match because he wanted to get out so he had to wait for an offer that Colorado wouldn't want to instantly match.

Spl1nter

Oh wow, O'Rielly 2nd year is 6.5m, which means the qualifying offer would have to be that. No way Colorado matches. They also have to reup landeskog and duchene that year.

Kifimbo

Hes from Ontario, that 1st rounder might be a top 5 pick.

This year it's actually the equivalent of $8M. $1 million in salary + $2.5 million in bonus for 30 games ~$8M.

Kifimbo

This could the Tyle Seguin trade for Calgary.

You get a good short term player but give up on the long term.

Yep. Instead they should have trade Iginla and Kiprussof and rebuild.

COL should wait until the very last minute to decline. Let Calgary have another bad week.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Theoretically Avs could match and then trade him to the Flames for possibly more than just the 1st and 3rd right?

Hey wasn't Corey Perry a Habs Fan growing up?
Won't happen :(

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lol what a shit team to get offer sheeted by. Bergevin is going to pull his magic on Perry.

Fun fact: in their last 35 games, Abdelkader and Cleary have a combined 10 points and -26 rating.

They are Datsyuk's wingers right now.

Yeah regardless of Fil's play this season I think he's a better option in the top 6 than them.

iwqd2BE.gif

CCF23

Canucks also offer sheeted O'Reilly. There's no way it was for similar money, though. The Flames offer sheet ensures ROR making 6.5+ after this year until he hits free agency. The Canucks were definitely not committing that much.

CCF23

I'm not sure it's fair to label him a career second liner at this point, but the Flames are essentially committing $6.5 million/year to him after this year. That's first line center money. O'Reilly's a fucking good player, but come on. He has one good season and even still he scored 18 goals and 55 points.

Just to put it into context, Mason Raymond scored 25 goals and 53 points one year. Imagine paying Mason Raymond $6.5 million now. O'Reilly has a better two way game than Raymond (though not by a massive amount), but if you're paying him north of $6 million after this year (especially with the cap going down), you're banking on him being a 70+ point, first line center.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013...fs_montreal_canadiens_home_ice_only_by_title/

Maybe the extra tickets went to Habs fans.

It sure sounded that way when Montreal's Max Pacioretty broke in on his off wing and ripped a shot past Leafs goalie Ben Scrivens to put a bow on what could have almost been mistaken for a tidy home win for the Eastern Conference-leading Canadiens.

Too bad it was at the Air Canada Centre and in the heart of supposedly enemy territory. Not exactly, it turns out. Far from being a hostile environment, the ACC is just another rink with a big population of Montreal fans.

Even the Leafs being booed at home would have been less embarrassing than the irritating "Ole, Ole, Ole" sing-song that the outnumbered-yet-loud Canadiens contingent began serenading as Montreal finally put the Leafs away 5-2 in what was a snooze fest that Toronto never really seemed serious about winning, and their fans never seemed all that keen on helping them win.

Maybe MLSE should ban Habs fans from the ACC ? :p

Top Bottom