• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Thats almost 4 years ago and he has been on decline ever since that Crosby goal, Dany Heatly was an all star back then too, better bring him along too.

Doesn't Luongo still have the 2nd best GAA/Save% in the league right now? (For those who've started more than just 2 games or so)

That's not really a decline.

Revenant

Who's going to 'win' the Chris Campoli sweepstakes?

chris campoli when someone actually pays him to play "defense"

What a great game by the hawks, absolutely dominate the yotes and Mayers does his duty early in the game. Wouldn't have minded someone taking one more run at Torres later in the game since the outcome was fairly certain but another real nice game along with that San Jose game after two uninspired efforts against Van and Cal.

Cake Boss

Banned
Doesn't Luongo still have the 2nd best GAA/Save% in the league right now? (For those who've started more than just 2 games or so)

That's not really a decline.

?

We're talking about Miller.

I think Campoli signed in Europe yesterday, I forgot where I saw it.

Montresor

Man Kessel's snipe yesterday was so awesome.

Are any other Leaf fans very pleased with the contributions from our three AHL defensemen? Let's face it, the defensemen on the team are weak overall, but I love what Kostka, Fraser, and Holzer have been able to do. It's sort of a feel-good story, a testament to the quality of Dallas Eakins' work down in the Marlies. Holzer in particular had a putrid game versus the Hurricanes but he was rock solid versus the Capitals and Jets.

The Leafs so badly need to win against Montreal on Saturday. It would put us in the conversation amongst the other Canadian teams in the Northeast. I got kinda jealous seeing my Leafs at 4-4 and the Sens and Canadiens near the top of the conference. We'll move towards more even ground if we can go 7-5 after beating Montreal.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Man Kessel's snipe yesterday was so awesome.

Are any other Leaf fans very pleased with the contributions from our three AHL defensemen? Let's face it, the defensemen on the team are weak overall, but I love what Kostka, Fraser, and Holzer have been able to do. It's sort of a feel-good story, a testament to the quality of Dallas Eakins' work down in the Marlies. Holzer in particular had a putrid game versus the Hurricanes but he was rock solid versus the Capitals and Jets.

The Leafs so badly need to win against Montreal on Saturday. It would put us in the conversation amongst the other Canadian teams in the Northeast. I got kinda jealous seeing my Leafs at 4-4 and the Sens and Canadiens near the top of the conference. We'll move towards more even ground if we can go 7-5 after beating Montreal.

Fraser has impressed me. He's doing what we expected from Mike Komisarek.

I still think I'm getting trolled with how much Kostka plays.

Holzer is fine, he's looked timid to start but he's slowly finding his groove.

Didn't catch much of the game, but what I saw was confusing. Pre-game Hitch said he was putting the original lines back together because he felt after fucking with them, the chemistry was lost. Yet when I turned the game on, the lines were the most fucked I've ever seen.

Did someone get injured or what?

No. I think he gets annoyed or something when he sees that his team is down big. Can't blame him. If I'm down 3-0 I'd switch something up whether it's strategy or player matchups. That's the thing because you never know if it's a player match up situation or just a chemistry problem. Maybe he should just let NHL 13 auto set the lines for him.

Trey

Miller would need a Tim Thomas-esque rediscovery of his game to start in the Olympics. Probably won't happen.

Smiley90

As pointed out by Iain MacIntyre, Schneider is 3-1-0 with a 1.71 GAA since his shaky opening night start. He also has a .940 SV% since that start. Luongo, so far this season, has a 1.53 GAA and a .940 SV%. We’re at the point where flipping a coin to decide who starts actually sounds like the most reasonable course of action.

CONTROVERSY.

This is all the Ducks' fault

CCF23

Going into 2014, you have to start with Roberto Luongo. Same way you had to start with Martin Brodeur last time.

Same for America, you have to start with Ryan Miller.

They both earned their spots in 2014 from their play in 2010.

Then they can lose their job to whoever (Carey Price, Corey Crawford for Canadians, Corey Schneider, Jonathan Quick for Americans)

laughing-puppets-o.gif

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to cry when the Caps trade Ribiero at the deadline. He is so skilled and shifty. He has been our best player this season and is the only addition we didnt find in the garbage. It is too bad we signed him years after we should have got a player like him. I'd be shocked if we resign him.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Meh, I got the day and the next week off...

Phaneuf is getting way too many minutes, and it shows since he's making mistakes late in games. He doesn't shoot any shots from the point, and he doesn't instill fear in the other players. We need more than 1 assist and -7 from him.

Kostka is goinna kost ya a game sooner or later. He's getting way too many minutes, and they need to pair someone else up with Phaneuf.

Kadri has been fantastic, but he still gets knocked off the puck too much for my liking and seems timid at times. He's our leading scorer....

Fraser, as Kavey mentioned, is doing what Comaslowreck should be doing. Leading us in +/-.

Holzer seems a bit lost at times. Hopefully, he's going to pick it up.

Komarov seems overhyped at this point (OVERHYPED LEAFS PROSPECTS?!). He's doing more of a grinding checking role, but I think he needs to expand his game.

Frattin has been the best of the bunch and he's at a point per game pace.

JVR is super streaky. He's big, physical, and has some speed, and he just doesn't use it often enough.

Bozak is becoming more of a liability at the #1 C role. I'd really like for him to be a #2 or #3. He's good on the draw, and has some nice passes, but we're expecting too much from him.

MacArthur seemed to have that one good season and that's it. He's a good player, but something is holding that line up

Kulemin is frustrating. He'll be brilliant at times and drive the play with physicality, but other times he's fucking invisible.

Grabovski can also be invisible, and I'd like these guys to pick it up so that we can have a somewhat legit 2nd line.

Gunnarsson has been ok, but he can be knocked off the puck easily.

Jay McClement, I really like. He's taking some tough assignments, winning draws, and doing what we pay him to do.

Liles is invisible out there.

Franson is the most frustrating. His points and stats are decent, but he'll take shit penalties and he more or less cost us one game. Then, he turns it on and helps lead the charge in some unlikely wins. I'd like to see him take a bigger role on there.

Keseel - 1 goal! I just hope this gives him a boost to force him to get into the dirtier areas and get those goals. His one goal was pretty, but I'd rather he get more goals doing everything he can.

PP - Fuck our PP. The other team knows to pressure our D so we can't shoot, and even if they got the chance, THEY NEVER FUCKING SHOOT OR HIT THE NET. Pressure the D, cover the perimeter, and you got us. Kessel is not making opportunities, and making it easy for the other team to cover him.

PK - Fuck our PK. It's better now than before, but it's not something we can rely on. We leave our goalie out to dry way too many times, we don't take the man out in front, we don't pressure their D, we just sit back and do shit or outman one of their players and leave a gaping fucking hole.

Cake Boss

Banned
Dont get how snow tires arent mandatory in other provinces other than Quebec, friend of mine got stuck backing out the same driveway using his all season.

Smiley90

Dont get how snow tires arent mandatory in other provinces other than Quebec, friend of mine got stuck backing out the same driveway using his all season.

To be honest, I'm glad people who are too stupid to put on winter tires in February are stuck at home, because they're stupid anyway and I don't want them on the street. As soon as there's a tiny bit of snow in Vancouver, traffic hits the fan big time because apparently most people are too stupid to drive in the snow but choose to do so anyway.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Just to touch on some of Kuro's points:

Phaneuf I really don't have much problem with defensively. He's out there with Kostka and now apparently Holzer is up next. Offensively he definitely needs to step it up a bit. I look at this more for his shots from the point. He's either putting too much on it and missing the net entirely and easing off of it so much he doesn't get it through the bodies. He really needs to find somewhere in the middle that can work for him.

Kadri while yes he is still getting bumped off the puck a bit he is also putting up a lot of fight in the corners. He's been using his body a lot more this season. Not to mention he is drawing penalties. With the news that he's getting more time on special teams my hope is they're building up his confidence even more on the defensive side to finally put him together with Kessel every so often...or possibly permanently.

Komarov yes is a bit of a letdown but he apparently is near tops in the league in bodychecks and he's done well on the PK. I'd like to see this scoring touch he apparently has but I definitely can see him as a solid 3rd liner on this team in the future. If he shows off the scoring touch he apparently has he could even be a 2nd line fill in.

Kessel unlike a lot of other people I have had no problem with him. His game has evolved a ton of the defensive side. In years past when he'd have these scoring droughts you'd wonder why even have him out there as he was a liability defensively but not so this year. Yes it would be nice to see him get some goals in the dirty areas but that's not who he is. He does play a lot on the perimeter but he is showing this year at least that he is heading more to the net when he doesn't have the puck and he's in forechecking hard.

No. I think he gets annoyed or something when he sees that his team is down big. Can't blame him. If I'm down 3-0 I'd switch something up whether it's strategy or player matchups. That's the thing because you never know if it's a player match up situation or just a chemistry problem. Maybe he should just let NHL 13 auto set the lines for him.

I'd like to see Steen replace Perron on the top line for the time being. God damn we need another Center.

Socreges

Banned
I have never cared for Crawford. Ever. And I've been vocal about it in this thread.

I'm happy with his play thus far, but still a bit nervous.
Ty Conklin has had strings of 10 games where he's been the best goalie in the NHL. But he never stopped being Ty Conklin.

Crawford could be emerging as a true #1 starter in the league, but I don't think he's got enough time to prove himself worthy of the Olympics. Even with Canada's lack of depth in net. AFAIK just one guy here suggested that Crawford "needs to be in that discussion" and Tabris, having zero frame of reference outside of what other people say, parroted him.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm a good million pages late but on the subjects of Team Canada goaltendership.

Corey Crawford needs to be in that discussion.
j8taf.gif

Going into 2014, you have to start with Roberto Luongo. Same way you had to start with Martin Brodeur last time.

Same for America, you have to start with Ryan Miller.

They both earned their spots in 2014 from their play in 2010.

Then they can lose their job to whoever (Carey Price, Corey Crawford for Canadians, Corey Schneider, Jonathan Quick for Americans)
You don't have to start with anyone because of what happened 4 years ago, Lu has a better chance of starting because he's still been above average, but Miller hasn't been the same goalie since 2010 and won't be starting unless he turns things around.

Smiley90

I just realized Salo and Hedman lead the league in +/- with +10. Do they play on the same pairing in Tampa? Salo :(

Kessel unlike a lot of other people I have had no problem with him. His game has evolved a ton of the defensive side. In years past when he'd have these scoring droughts you'd wonder why even have him out there as he was a liability defensively but not so this year. Yes it would be nice to see him get some goals in the dirty areas but that's not who he is. He does play a lot on the perimeter but he is showing this year at least that he is heading more to the net when he doesn't have the puck and he's in forechecking hard.

Kessel actually threw a body check in the game against Washington. I did a double take!

Top Bottom