• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2014 |OT| The A on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Asshole

Hey GAF, help me pick a NHL team to root for. I am new hockey fan. We have an ECHL team where I live in southern Indiana and I started going to the games this year and fell in love with the game. Can't get enough of it. The problem is, I can't figure out a NHL team to root for. I'm starting to identify a lot of the players on different teams and I don't really have a favorite. I'm starting to understand the game a lot better after going to about 12 games and watching a ton of NHL on DirecTV, and playing NHL 14 on PS3.

The closest NHL teams to me would be the St. Louis Blues who are 3 hours away, or the Nashville Predators about 2 1/2 hours away. Our ECHL team is a feeder for the Columbus Blue Jackets, but I honestly can't ever see myself going to Ohio for anything. From what I can tell, they are a pretty sorry franchise anyway. I do travel to St. Louis and Nashville a couple of times a year. I'm leaning towards Nashville because its a little bit closer and I've been to Bridgestone arena many times for various events.

Nashville is a defense-oriented that wins by teamwork and grinding opponents into dust. They have a top-5 defender and a top-5 goaltender in the entire league, as well as some strong younger defensive players. They've had a long history of not being able to develop offensive talent with nobody in their pipeline that has a good chance of being a high end scorer aside from Forsberg, who they got in a trade.

St Louis is an incredibly deep team that wins by hitting players constantly and each line potting a goal a game. They have good but not great offensive players - but more of them than most other teams. Their defense is among the best in the league but have goaltending issues that have plagued them for a few years now. They have many young players with bright futures as more good players but do not have a gamebreaker talent to watch out for. Maybe Pietrangelo is that guy but I don't really see it.

Nashville has some of my favorite players like Pekka Rinne and Mike Fisher, and St Louis has a bunch of Minnesota boys like TJ Oshie and David Backes. I personally like both teams but I tend to lean toward STL simply because I like their uniforms better.

You really cannot go wrong with either team.

They're all forgetting the fact that Seth Jones is the biggest bust since Dolly Parton.

In terms of setting yourself up for good years ahead go with the Blues. In terms of rolling the dice on whether or not you'll be rooting for a fringe team at best, go with Nashville.

Acid08

Banned
They're all forgetting the fact that Seth Jones is the biggest bust since Dolly Parton.

In terms of setting yourself up for good years ahead go with the Blues. In terms of rolling the dice on whether or not you'll be rooting for a fringe team at best, go with Nashville.
Jones is doing pretty well playing for being thrown into the NHL on a terrible team.

ShaneB

USA still the best at football. 48 Super Bowls in a row

Hey now, there are a few canucks on the Seahawks ;)

Hey GAF, help me pick a NHL team to root for. I am new hockey fan. We have an ECHL team where I live in southern Indiana and I started going to the games this year and fell in love with the game. Can't get enough of it. The problem is, I can't figure out a NHL team to root for. I'm starting to identify a lot of the players on different teams and I don't really have a favorite. I'm starting to understand the game a lot better after going to about 12 games and watching a ton of NHL on DirecTV, and playing NHL 14 on PS3.

The closest NHL teams to me would be the St. Louis Blues who are 3 hours away, or the Nashville Predators about 2 1/2 hours away. Our ECHL team is a feeder for the Columbus Blue Jackets, but I honestly can't ever see myself going to Ohio for anything. From what I can tell, they are a pretty sorry franchise anyway. I do travel to St. Louis and Nashville a couple of times a year. I'm leaning towards Nashville because its a little bit closer and I've been to Bridgestone arena many times for various events.

New fans are always great, welcome aboard! Only thing I will is say is that there's no rush to picking a team in my opinion, just keep watching, keep loving the sport, and perhaps that natural love for the specific team will come!

fallout

I find this... oddly threatening. :(

pavsbackl7fgi.png
"He's back to being your problem, fuckers." -- Czech Republic

Come into the fold
under Kessel's left breast
, brother.

roster615jan18.jpg

Acid08

Banned
Positives I'll take away from the US hockey team giving up in glorious fashion today:

1. Dustin Brown isn't winning anything and is obviously an incredibly shitty player to the entire world now.

2. Pavs didn't get injured.

Nashville is a defense-oriented that wins by teamwork and grinding opponents into dust. They have a top-5 defender and a top-5 goaltender in the entire league, as well as some strong younger defensive players. They've had a long history of not being able to develop offensive talent with nobody in their pipeline that has a good chance of being a high end scorer aside from Forsberg, who they got in a trade.

St Louis is an incredibly deep team that wins by hitting players constantly and each line potting a goal a game. They have good but not great offensive players - but more of them than most other teams. Their defense is among the best in the league but have goaltending issues that have plagued them for a few years now. They have many young players with bright futures as more good players but do not have a gamebreaker talent to watch out for. Maybe Pietrangelo is that guy but I don't really see it.

Nashville has some of my favorite players like Pekka Rinne and Mike Fisher, and St Louis has a bunch of Minnesota boys like TJ Oshie and David Backes. I personally like both teams but I tend to lean toward STL simply because I like their uniforms better.

You really cannot go wrong with either team.

I'd say Tarasenko and Schwartz easily have the potential to be top scoring forwards. Tarasenko has had huge expectations ever since setting foot in NA, but he's starting to live up to it. Schwartz has kind of flown under the radar, but there's no way he doesn't make Team Canada in 2018. Parise is the comparison I see made the most and that's close enough. I expect both to continue improving and have breakout years in 2014-15. With Jaskin and Rattie in the AHL, the future looks bright on the wing in St. Louis.

One, if not the, best top 3 D in the league. Respectable bottom 3-4. Really promising top 3 prospect in Schmaltz. Some decent D prospects in Edmundson, Velliux, Wannstrom and Hakanpaa.

Goaltending is shakey as all fuck as things currently stand. Halak is inconsistent to a point of being worthless. Elliott is a good guy, but won't ever be more than a qualified economic backup. Thankfully Jake Allen is a very promising, essentially NHL backup ready tender and there's always hope we can nab someone like Miller for a couple of years to fix our immediate goaltending issues. Prospect wise Binnington seems to be coming along well.

Center depth is nonexistent. We've shit the bed on aquiring any level of quality Centers in recent draft years. Thankfully Sobotka has turned a corner, but if he or Backes goes down we're pretty much fucked for Centers. Behind fixing the goaltending concerns, we really need to find a long term solution to this hole via trade or FA. Stastny is the biggest hope here if he makes it that far without being resigned.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

And some were projecting Jones over MacKinnon! :lol

I really wish Drouin was also in the NHL just to see how he would do. MacKinnon is getting more comfortable and seems better every freakin game; I'm pretty jelly the Avs got him.

Jones, I think, will be good, but defenders always take awhile and even highly touted defensive prospects rarely pan out. Hedman was 2nd overall and some were projecting first, but it seemed like it was ages ago and he's only now starting to have some impact, but he's still not a Norris candidate.

ezgif-save1r6bcb.gif

I'd say Tarasenko and Schwartz easily have the potential to be top scoring forwards. Tarasenko has had huge expectations ever since setting foot in NA, but he's starting to live up to it. Schwartz has kind of flown under the radar, but there's no way he doesn't make Team Canada in 2018. Parise is the comparison I see made the most and that's close enough. I expect both to continue improving and have breakout years in 2014-15. With Jaskin and Rattie in the AHL, the future looks bright on the wing in St. Louis.

One, if not the, best top 3 D in the league. Respectable bottom 3-4. Really promising top 3 prospect in Schmaltz. Some decent D prospects in Edmundson, Velliux, Wannstrom and Hakanpaa.

Goaltending is shakey as all fuck as things currently stand. Halak is inconsistent to a point of being worthless. Elliott is a good guy, but won't ever be more than a qualified economic backup. Thankfully Jake Allen is a very promising, essentially NHL backup ready tender and there's always hope we can nab someone like Miller for a couple of years to fix our immediate goaltending issues. Prospect wise Binnington seems to be coming along well.

Center depth is nonexistent. We've shit the bed on aquiring any level of quality Centers in recent draft years. Thankfully Sobotka has turned a corner, but if he or Backes goes down we're pretty much fucked for Centers. Behind fixing the goaltending concerns, we really need to find a long term solution to this hole via trade or FA. Stastny is the biggest hope here if he makes it that far without being resigned.

I honestly have not seen much at all of Tarasenko outside of games against the Wild/Olympics this year and while he will probably develop into a permanent top-six guy if he isn't already there, do you really think he'll be better than a guy like Backes or Oshie? Different play styles aside, I mean.

Pretty much the same situation with Schwartz, although I did see a few games of his while he was in college and I was not very impressed. I honestly forgot you guys had Rattie. He could definitely be something.

Defense of the Blues is fantastic. I saw Schmaltz play in person the other weekend(I think I came back and discussed that with you but I'm not sure) and think he could be something for sure. I've always liked Allen and have quickly developed a man crush on Sobotka this year. Oshie is one of my favorite players, and Backes is up there as well. Except when they're playing Minnesota :lol

If not for being an in-division "rival" I would probably be cheering on the Blues quite a bit.

So what you're trying to say is:

KESSSSSSSSSSSSSELLLLLLLLLLLLL to win the scoring race? :eek:

2010 before Olympics: 91 points in 61 games (42 goals)

2010 after Olympics: 18 points in 18 games (8 goals)

2014 before Olympics: 60 points in 55 games (40 goals)

2014 after Olympics: ?

It's certainly possible.

I give Kessel a 60/40 chance of winning the Rocket Richard.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
2010 before Olympics: 91 points in 61 games (42 goals)

2010 after Olympics: 18 points in 18 games (8 goals)

2014 before Olympics: 60 points in 55 games (40 goals)

2014 after Olympics: ?

It's certainly possible.

I give Kessel a 60/40 chance of winning the Rocket Richard.

lol

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So they banned the perps and shut it down for a month?

I don't follow NBA-GAF, but from the bit I saw it went something like this.

Guy claims he was being bullied, calling out Blackace for not doing jack shit about it.

Mods shut down the thread.

Blackace reopened the thread, people complained the the guy who complained about bullying was a insulting others himself.

EviLore came back, closed the thread down, de-modded Blackace and said he'd weed out the guilty parties.

It's been closed ever since.

If that's wrong, someone correct me please.

Top Bottom