• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2014 |OT| The A on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Asshole

iLLmAtlc

anyway based on a series of tweets from bobo it looks like it's a moot point whether kesler asked for a trade or not. he says that teams are calling and the nucks are listening.

this isn't like the MSL situation where a player demands to be moved and the club wouldn't have interest in doing it otherwise. so asked for a trade or not bottom line is the dude is in play.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
anyway based on a series of tweets from bobo it looks like it's a moot point whether kesler asked for a trade or not. he says that teams are calling and the nucks are listening.

this isn't like the MSL situation where a player demands to be moved and the club wouldn't have interest in doing it otherwise. so asked for a trade or not bottom line is the dude is in play.
The report is saying he asked to be moved at the beginning of the season, you think it's just a coincidence that all these trade rumours are popping up now? This is pretty much the same situation as MSL.

iLLmAtlc

The report is saying he asked to be moved at the beginning of the season, you think it's just a coincidence that all these trade rumours are popping up now? This is pretty much the same situation as MSL.

what do you mean coincidence?

canucks are doing poorly and it's trade deadline when teams are looking to make trades.

or are you asking me to accept the accuracy of the report? i don't know man, i'm not aware of louie jean's track record. i have a pretty strict policy of believing reports only from renald lavoie, bob mckenzie, elliote friedman, darren dreger, adater for avalanche and aaron portzline for blue jackets. probably a handful of others i'm forgetting but louis jean is definitely not one of those guys.

i wouldn't be surprised if kesler asked to be moved though, i mean the ship is sinking pretty fast lol.

trifelife

zTOg3EL.gif

RIP Eddie

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Given that his never surfaced before, best scenario I can think of is

Beginning of the season, Kesler asks if he can be moved. Gillis tells him they'd hate to lose him and he probably can't be moved, that's it.

Now, teams have begun to inquire about Kesler themselves, Gillis and Kesler sit together to see if the "I want to be moved" sentiment is still there, Kesler's okay with it, so Gillis is listening to offers, but probably not making any himself. Or might start making some before Sunday, but he's mainly listening for now.

That is, IF the source is accurate. What we for sure know is that Gillis is listening to offers, and that's all I'm accepting as fact for now too.

Red_Man

or are you asking me to accept the accuracy of the report? i don't know man, i'm not aware of louie jean's track record. i have a pretty strict policy of believing reports only from renald lavoie, bob mckenzie, elliote friedman, darren dreger, adater for avalanche and aaron portzline for blue jackets. probably a handful of others i'm forgetting but louis jean is definitely not one of those guys.
Louis Jean is on the same level as Lavoie & McKenzie and even Bruce Arthur has said that Kesler vocally said that he wants to move on after the bronze medal game in Sochi. Just because you're not familiar with the guy doesn't make him not credible.

Given that his never surfaced before, best scenario I can think of is

Beginning of the season, Kesler asks if he can be moved. Gillis tells him they'd hate to lose him and he probably can't be moved, that's it.

Now, teams have begun to inquire about Kesler themselves, Gillis and Kesler sit together to see if the "I want to be moved" sentiment is still there, Kesler's okay with it, so Gillis is listening to offers, but probably not making any himself. Or might start making some before Sunday, but he's mainly listening for now.
I see it going pretty much the same way, although in stead of "He probably can't be moved that's it", it's more of "lets see how the season goes and if you still aren't comfortable here by the Olympic break I'll start taking offers and try and move you by the deadline". Gillis obviously would have wanted to keep this tight lipped, it does nothing but hurt him if other GM's know that Kesler asked to be moved.

That is, IF the source is accurate. What we for sure know is that Gillis is listening to offers, and that's all I'm accepting as fact for now too.
See what I wrote above. If you want to try and say both Louie Jean & Bruce Arthur are pulling this out of their ass then go ahead. Denial is to be expected. Obviously Kesler's agent isn't going to come out and say "Yea my guy wants out!"

iLLmAtlc

FTR if Kesler is moved I wouldn't mind as long as the return is good enough. I think people outside of Vancouver are underestimating just how much the sentiment has turned against him in recent years with the diving and injuries.

Louie Jean is on the same level as Lavoie & McKenzie and even Bruce Arthur has said that Kesler vocally said that he wants to move on after the bronze medal game in Sochi. Just because you're not familiar with the guy doesn't make him not credible. .

Ok I'm actually curious, what stories has he broken?

Smiley90

FTR if Kesler is moved I wouldn't mind as long as the return is good enough. I think people outside of Vancouver are underestimating just how much the sentiment has turned against him in recent years with the diving and injuries.

What? Most people I know here still love Kesler, me included. He's cleaned up his game after the criticism too and is all effort on the ice, even when injured. I'd be very sad to see him go, even for a good return. I understand that reasons for shipping him, but I'll like whatever team he goes to.

Louie Jean is on the same level as Lavoie & McKenzie and even Bruce Arthur has said that Kesler vocally said that he wants to move on after the bronze medal game in Sochi. Just because you're not familiar with the guy doesn't make him not credible.

I see it going pretty much the same way, although in stead of "He probably can't be moved that's it", it's more of "lets see how the season goes and if you still aren't comfortable here by the Olympic break I'll start taking offers and try and move you by the deadline". Gillis obviously would have wanted to keep this tight lipped, it does nothing but hurt him if other GM's know that Kesler asked to be moved.

See what I wrote above. If you want to try and say both Louie Jean & Bruce Arthur are pulling this out of their ass then go ahead. Denial is to be expected. Obviously Kesler's agent isn't going to come out and say "Yea my guy wants out!"

Yeah we're pretty much on the same page, only I trust him a bit less than you. In the end it doesn't really matter, as Kesler won't be moved unless the return is good, regardless of whether he asked for it or not. This isn't a Schneider/Luongo situation where one of them really HAS to be moved.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not really sure of Vancouver's prospect pool outside of Shinkaruk and Horvat, but it seems they've got a chance at a proper "rebuild", or retool, here considering they've still got guys they can trade who are actually worth anything.

The biggest problem is the team is nowhere near bad enough to amass high draft picks, and they're stuck with Luongo, who also isn't going to play bad enough to tank. If they did go this route, would they also try moving the Sedins and fully focus on their next generation of players?

Red_Man

Ok I'm actually curious, what stories has he broken?
The guy is a mainstay in Montreal and works for a french station, he focuses on the Habs and their dealings, he's not out there breaking trades league wide. I get it you refuse to believe that your dear Kesler could want out of Vancouver, everyone goes through this stage of denial with their favourite player. You going to start calling out Bruce Arthur too who says he heard him say he wants out in Sochi?

Smiley90

I'm not really sure of Vancouver's prospect pool outside of Shinkaruk and Horvat, but it seems they've got a chance at a proper "rebuild", or retool, here considering they've still got guys they can trade who are actually worth anything.

The biggest problem is the team is nowhere near bad enough to amass high draft picks, and they're stuck with Luongo, who also isn't going to play bad enough to tank. If they did go this route, would they also try moving the Sedins and fully focus on their next generation of players?

Sedins are gonna retire in Vancouver. No team is going to cough up enough for BOTH of them, and they're very much a bundle. On top of that they've started declining. And they're a HUGE part of Vancouver identity and community. They're gonna retire here and get their numbers in the rafters.

As for prospects, we really don't have that many. We have a few decent young defensemen in Tanev, Corrado and Stanton who are already NHL-calibre (especially Tanev). We have Gaunce, Fox, Jensen as forwards but since we've had such low picks the last few years, we don't really have any amazing talents. We're not drafting as well as e.g. Detroit.

iLLmAtlc

What? Most people I know here still love Kesler, me included. He's cleaned up his game after the criticism too and is all effort on the ice, even when injured. I'd be very sad to see him go, even for a good return. I understand that reasons for shipping him, but I'll like whatever team he goes to.

It might not be most people, but I think willingness to trade him has definitely gone up, compared to say 2011 or even 2010.

The guy is a mainstay in Montreal and works for a french station, he focuses on the Habs and their dealings, he's not out there breaking trades league wide. I get it you refuse to believe that your dear Kesler could want out of Vancouver, everyone goes through this stage of denial with their favourite player. You going to start calling out Bruce Arthur too who says he heard him say he wants out in Sochi?

Like I said if they're gonna move him I honestly don't mind as long as the return is good enough and I wouldn't be surprised if in fact he asked for trade. Does that really sound like denial to you?

I just want to be careful with what information to accept that's all, lots of people want to be insiders.

Bruce Arthur? Seriously I don't know that guy. I haven't seen him report any story whatsoever.

Red_Man

Smiley or other Vancouver fans can correct me if wrong, but I get the impression that Vancouver is similar to Montreal & Toronto in that fans won't accept a complete rebuild, so they couldn't do that even if they wanted too. They'll have to attempt a quick 2-3 year retooling like Ottawa did.

Red_Man

Like I said if they're gonna move him I honestly don't mind as long as the return is good enough and I wouldn't be surprised if in fact he asked for trade. Does that really sound like denial to you?

I just want to be careful with what information to accept that's all, lots of people want to be insiders.

Bruce Arthur? Seriously I don't know that guy. I haven't seen him report any story whatsoever.
The fact that you continue to question the sources and validity of them seems like denial especially when the sources are some of the industries most respected writers. These rumours aren't coming from Eklund, or some dude's third cousin on Hfboards. Louis Jean isn't the kind of guy to throw out something like this without being sure of himself.

Top Bottom