• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2014 |OT| The A on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Asshole

Yes he could, Yzerman had final say on the roster, and takes Kunitz over him. Pretty big slap in the face.

Could. And I fully agree that Kunitz getting ice time over St. Louis was ridiculous and wrong. But I would imagine that the others had some sort of a say.

Would you want to disregard the rest of their opinions just because you had final say if you were Yzerman?

As wrong as their opinions arguably were, it would leave a lot of unhappy people.

Socreges

Banned
St. Louis on not being included in 2010:

"We talked about it early on when he got the job and it's behind us," St. Louis said. "I'm not upset. I told him I'll always be disappointed no matter what he tells me, but they are put in a position to make tough decisions and he had to make the decisions he had to make. Obviously, he made the right ones because they won the gold medal."

St. Louis on signing his extension in the summer of 2010 (after the Olympics and a couple months after Yzerman got the TBay job):

"Now the goal is to lead the Lightning back towards the top of the NHL while finishing my career here. My family and I would like to thank Steve and Mr. Vinik for giving us that opportunity. I will not let them or our fans in Tampa Bay down. We'll do everything we can as a team to achieve at the highest levels again."

Socreges

Banned
Yes he could, Yzerman had final say on the roster, and takes Kunitz over him. Pretty big slap in the face.
Nah. Yzerman didn't take him in 2010 when he was arguably an even better player. For him to then override the decisions of others in 2014 smacks of conflict of interest. Huge catch-22 for Yzerman. But I don't expect St. Louis to be sympathetic to that.

so damn weird that he's so offended this time around.
I'm sure he felt entitled. Hell, Yzerman may have even said he regretted not taking him (since he got the GM job months after the Olys) and greased him up before the extension.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Nah. Yzerman didn't take him in 2010 when he was arguably an even better player. For him to then override the decisions of others in 2014 smacks of conflict of interest. Huge catch-22 for Yzerman. But I don't expect St. Louis to be sympathetic to that.
There was a report that the other GMs told Yzerman that if leaving St. Louis off the roster was going to be a big issue then they would have no problem taking him. In that case, it wouldn't be a direct override and you don't need to explain to anyone why you're taking the leagues leading scorer from last season, regardless of your affiliation with the player. I feel like a lot of this came down to Babcock, and who he wanted on the team.

Right.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'm sure he felt entitled. Hell, Yzerman may have even said he regretted not taking him (since he got the GM job months after the Olys) and greased him up before the extension.

Could very well be. It just never seemed to me that St. Louis was the type of player who would feel that entitled that he would make this big of a deal over it, however.

Probably didn't want to seem like he was choosing favorites, even though everyone would've been fine with St. Louis. Like he was being harder on himself and St. Louis.

Oh well, Anaheim takes him for Sbisa. Let's make it happen

Socreges

Banned
There was a report that the other GMs told Yzerman that if leaving St. Louis off the roster was going to be a big issue then they would have no problem taking him. In that case, it wouldn't be a direct override and you don't need to explain to anyone why you're taking the leagues leading scorer from last season, regardless of your affiliation with the player. I feel like a lot of this came down to Babcock, and who he wanted on the team.
First off, that "report" sounds dubious. But more importantly, even if it's true, no respectable GM with an ounce of professionalism would actually make a decision for fear of a backlash of a player. He would essentially be overriding their objective decision, however much consent he was given.

Yeah, Marty has been with that team his whole career, is the Captain, and they seem primed for a decent playoff run. If he wants out, it seems to only stem from issues with Yzerman. I wouldn't expect that from him, he always struck me as a "team first" sorta guy.

Late here , but he's never been a "team first" dude. He has throughout his career been a "with me or against me" dude. He probably feels betrayed by Yzerman. He's a dude that put up insane numbers in the NCAA and was flat out refused PTOs by teams. He's had to fight extraordinary roadblocks to have a NHL career. He's always held grudges and that's what fuels him as a player. That is what it is at this point.

Hello friends!!!! I got to watch the Red Wings and Habs game during lunch today at work. Another added bonus!

Got to watch Canes and Sabres as well but really, lol, fuck that game up until the last few minutes.

Thank GOD for the Olympic break, Lack and honey badger. That atrocious losing streak comes to an end.

LACK SHUTOUT PENISES OVER MY FACE

Nooh nooh nooh. You have Luongo shutout cock. WE have to use that version for Hillers shutouts.

YOU CAN'T HAB BOTH SMOILEY :C

Because let's face it, it'd be funny.

Hahaha, fuck oath!

Wooooooooo! Just now saw the March Update Beta Invite for the Xbox One :D Registered!

#BetasUnited

And this is why you will always be a Beta Heretic.

Another game today, yay!!!! Back to back right after the break and then no games until tuesday... :/

Edit:

Also:
No idea why I found this funny but...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102438620&postcount=101

I can't sleep :'(

Titanfall threads and Red Wings victories don't mix good.

Hey we were 100% on the PP and 100% on the PK yesterday... PROGRESS!!!

After last nights defensive debacle I fully expect the avs to be a player for some defense before the deadline. We're not trading oreilly or any other serious piece so that leaves stastny or parenteau I guess.

edit: Radar has 0 PIM in 57 games played.

Just realized Sunday's my last chance to catch the Flyers in person without a trek to Philly this season. I probably should've been paying more attention to the schedule.

yyzjohn

Banned
Kesler to Leafs rumors make no sense. If he goes anywhere it'll be to a supposed "contender" and probably to an eastern team so that leaves Penguins and Bruins.

gaming_noob

Kesler to Leafs rumors make no sense. If he goes anywhere it'll be to a supposed "contender" and probably to an eastern team so that leaves Penguins and Bruins.

Yeah...would love to have him but the Leafs need another Gleason-type of player to solidify their Defense first. If he ever comes, it'd have to be Kadri+..even though I dislike Kadri he's a kid with some elite passing skills.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
By the way, I love how just a few days ago all the major journos were like "MSL to the Rangers? PFFFT That's preposterous, what a goof Boomer Esiason is!"

How quickly things change.

Cake Boss

Banned
Greening-Spezza-Michalek
MacArthur-Turris-Condra

vandyvomit.gif

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan

ibbZUtio8TfPfK.gif

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Isles back in action against the Leafs tonight, I'm having a real hard time getting excited for it.

Just keep Vanek healthy enough that we can get something good for him.

Acid08

Banned
Hockey is baaaaaaaaaack

Really excited to see the team today, Couture and Torres are coming back which is the closest to completely healthy we've been all year. Hopefully they don't pull any of that no effort bullshit they did in the last game against the Flyers.

yyzjohn

Banned
Yeah...would love to have him but the Leafs need another Gleason-type of player to solidify their Defense first. If he ever comes, it'd have to be Kadri+..even though I dislike Kadri he's a kid with some elite passing skills.

Anyone expecting huge Leafs deals at this deadline will probably be disappointed. I don't see anything significant happening. Might be some minor deals with AHL type guys or 4th liners but that's about it.

Top Bottom