• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2016 |OT| Parlez-vous tankçais?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
WwXrjM6.png
This is what I would do in highschool when I knew I would be too hungover to come in the next day.

He really keeps drowning his reputation with garbage like this.

you're about to lose a 25 year old 2 times Richard trophy winner for NOTHING, it kind of is
You might say that it is pretty bad to end up in this situation to begin with, but if Stamkos was looking for free agency there wasnt much to do. Especially with the upcoming contracts extensions they got.

And I especially cant understand when people talk about then trading him soon. Why would he be worth more as a rental to anyone else than to the lightnings this playoff?

imBask

Banned
You might say that it is pretty bad to end up in this situation to begin with, but if Stamkos was looking for free agency there wasnt much to do. Especially with the upcoming contracts extensions they got.

And I especially cant understand when people talk about then trading him soon. Why would he be worth more as a rental to anyone else than to the lightnings this playoff?

I don't disagree with you, if they really think they can make it this year they should keep him around for the playoffs. I just don't think they're winning the cup this year, so to me it's a huge waste.

Red_Man

Does anyone think they'll come out of the East? It obviously a lot harder for Yzerman to say, "We'll we won't win the East anyways, lets move him" to management who wants that playoff revenue, so I get he's not going to try and move him, but if he does walk at the end of the year I would be pissed as a Lightning fan.

Does anyone think they'll come out of the East? It obviously a lot harder for Yzerman to say, "We'll we won't win the East anyways, lets move him" to management who wants that playoff revenue, so I get he's not going to try and move him, but if he does walk at the end of the year I would be pissed as a Lightning fan.
at the moment the only team that looks poised to do anything in the east is washington, but its hockey, anything can happen as long as you make the playoffs

imBask

Banned
at the moment the only team that looks poised to do anything in the east is washington, but its hockey, anything can happen as long as you make the playoffs

rental is always a gamble, but in gambling odds are important and the odds are stacked against Tampa

they're alright, but this is not the year and losing Stamkos will sadly set them back

zroid

Banned
Other than the Caps who are the clear favourites (and they're always at risk to pull a Caps) I still think Tampa has a better shot than anyone else in the East. They've been playing some great hockey since they got healthy.

Besides, even if they only make it as far as the ECF that's as many as 12 home playoff dates. Pretty valuable to a small market team's finances.

Solo

I pity the GM (unless its Toronto, then I laugh heartily) who shells out $12M a year for a depreciating asset in Stamkos. He's not the same player he was 2.5 seasons ago. Definitely not worth that kind of cheddar. I can't imagine how bad that contract will look when he's 30.

zroid

Banned
Stamkos hasn't been the same player since Marty left. You could argue it's his injury but I think not. What he needs is an elite setup man. Until recently he's been playing with Ryan Callahan and Valtteri Filppula. I mean what do you expect?

Red_Man

This is such a garbage cliche, and one that Bergevin always repeats that drives me crazy. Kings are the only team in a long time to win the cup in the last 15 years by just barely getting into the playoffs, it's such a dumb leap of logic to try and justify making a move / not making a move.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Stamkos hasn't been the same player since Marty left. You could argue it's his injury but I think not. What he needs is an elite setup man. Until recently he's been playing with Ryan Callahan and Valteri Filppula. I mean what do you expect?
I'm not sure I want Stamkos at what he thinks he's worth. I kinda like building through the draft and not handicapping our cap after we've done so much to fix it.

Expecting Bergevin to get Burrows and parade him around as a top 6 player.
Oh yeah, Burrows will solve those goal scoring problems!

zroid

Banned
I'm not sure I want Stamkos at what he thinks he's worth. I kinda like building through the draft and not handicapping our cap after we've done so much to fix it.

$10M is the limit of what I would call "fair value", and I'm pretty sure he's going to get more than that

Just saying the people who think he's no longer one of the best goal scorers in the league are probably wrong

This is such a garbage cliche, and one that Bergevin always repeats that drives me crazy. Kings are the only team in a long time to win the cup in the last 15 years by just barely getting into the playoffs, it's such a dumb leap of logic to try and justify making a move / not making a move.
I do realize its mainly just the kings recently, but it does happen. From the point of view of tampa, itd be absolutely foolish to make a move because their team has a semblance of a chance and Stamkos would be a key if it works out. Any other team should be all over stamkos as a rental if they can afford

Solo

y'all are insane, i'll take Stamkos in my team any day of the week. BRING HIM

I want him too, just not at $12M, which he'll command and get. I'd pay him if he were in the $8-9M range, but fuck that noise at $12M. Fucking Brad Rat Face Marchand has more goals than Stamkos this year. Also, Stamkos' PPG has dropped from 1.18 the season pre-injury to 0.76 this season.

I love how the Canucks and Sharks have not played a single game against each other this season. Their first matchup is Feb. 28. 5 games in just over a month.

A division rival. A short flight up from LA and Anaheim. Excellent scheduling by the NHL.

I don't disagree with you, if they really think they can make it this year they should keep him around for the playoffs. I just don't think they're winning the cup this year, so to me it's a huge waste.

rental is always a gamble, but in gambling odds are important and the odds are stacked against Tampa

they're alright, but this is not the year and losing Stamkos will sadly set them back.
I don't "think" that they are coming out of the east either, I think that Caps will. But by that logic, what would the return be since the team trading for him "probably wont come out of their conference" either.

But seriously I think that they are a contender, and a much bigger one with Stammer still on the team. Being able to spread out goalscoring in the playoff is what makes you able to survive even when top players go through dry spells.

But most important of all. I don't think that trading him will give them a bigger chance on a cup in the coming years than they have this year. They have a lot of young talent so I wont say that there window is closing. But it sure isn't opening more when you have players leaving contracts like:

Stamkos: 7.5 m
Hedman: 4 m
Kucherov 0.6 m

In the coming years with players like Callahan and Carle signed to longer deals (than those above) for over 5 m.

imBask

Banned
I want him too, just not at $12M, which he'll command and get. I'd pay him if he were in the $8-9M range, but fuck that noise at $12M. Fucking Brad Rat Face Marchand has more goals than Stamkos this year.

i'll go to 10M for his cute butt, but i'm also aware he's getting 12... :(

I love how the Canucks and Sharks have not played a single game against each other this season. Their first matchup is Feb. 28. 5 games in just over a month.

A division rival. A short flight up from LA and Anaheim. Excellent scheduling by the NHL.

We didn't play the Pens until a couple weeks ago.

Red_Man

I do realize its mainly just the kings recently, but it does happen.
It doesn't though really. Aside from the Kings, every other team that has won the cup in the last decade has been dominant in the regular season and almost always finished at the top of the league. Sure it can happen, but the odds of it happening are so low.

Like I already said, I get why Yzerman / Management wants to keep him. You can't tell your fan base you're moving him because the odds of you going all the way are slim.

Save all these to quote me when Stamkos is lifting the cup this spring.

Solo

i'll go to 10M for his cute butt, but i'm also aware he's getting 12... :(

Not to mention, even if we did get Stamkos, and even if he didn't decline further, he's a) going to be ruined under Michel Therrien and b) have no one to set him up.

imBask

Banned
Not to mention, even if we did get Stamkos, and even if he didn't decline further, he's a) going to be ruined under Michel Therrien and b) have no one to set him up.

We can't build the team around the fact that Therrien is still here. It's too cynical and it'll lead to nothing good

Top Bottom