• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2016 |OT| Parlez-vous tankçais?

Razorskin

----- ------
Babby + Ceci for Pretend Karlsson pls.

Karlsson and Pretend Karlsson greeting each other:

BiCWs81.gif

Stasis

Man I dunno. Eric Staal is a UFA at the end of the season, so no risk. I wouldn't mind having him. Who knows how it'd work out. I just dread what this org could give up. Please no McIlrath, or Hayes, or Kreider, or 1st rounder. Or Skjei/Buch obviously. Not JT either. One of Fast/Lindberg OK... but with 50% retention they'll certainly be wanting more than I'm comfortable giving up. Retain less and convince Girardi to go. I have no idea. Even that sucks since we'd be weak down the right for the rest of the season/playoffs. I know G sucks horribly at times but having Old Man Boyle, Klein, and McIlrath only? With Mac being benched all the time. Who's left? Diaz? Eh.

I'm scared. Hold me Meta.

zroid

Banned
The best thing about this TSN radio shuffle is I won't have to hear Steve Simmons anymore. The early morning show is the only one which I never listen to.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Marc Staal is with the team in Toronto, so looks like he'll be back in the lineup tonight. McIlrath sits. (Booooooo...though he did have his worst game of the season and barely played after blocking a hard shot last night.)

Antti Raanta in net.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
We're pretty lucky Subban is able to handle this so well, I'd imagine a lot of players would be asking for a trade by now.

If you can't win at least half of your games with some league average goaltending then you're not even close to ready.
They've actually had the worst goal tending in the entire league for about 3 months now, not average but AHL level. Around .890, keep trying to push the narrative that this is the Leafs 2.0 though.

Red_Man

Finally getting to listen to this Tony rant, holy Christ he's amazing

"You want me to stop? Well guess what I'm not going to stop, I'm on until noon, I'm going to go all day"

:lol :lol

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm all for tanking, but fucking Therrien better not be causing any permanent damage. This stupid ass is going to throw everyone he doesn't like under the bus on his way out and create these stupid narratives in the media.

Quick

Banned
I'm all for tanking, but fucking Therrien better not be causing any permanent damage. This stupid ass is going to throw everyone he doesn't like under the bus on his way out and create these stupid narratives in the media.

Habs are still salvageable for next season when Price is back.

But Therrien is only going to be a huge detriment.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Habs are still salvageable for next season when Price is back.

But Therrien is only going to be a huge detriment.

I know, but if Bergevin actually trusts this guy, who the fuck knows what's going to happen.

I'm not all that worried about the team if they stay the course
, and hopefully pick up the final pieces obviously.

What I'm worried about is Bergevin doing something stupid to appease Therrien, and I can only hope he was lying about his foxhole bullshit.

Cake Boss

Banned
Like Leafs Lunch said, Thierrien doesn't say that shit about Subban without knowing that he's gonna get fired soon, so it might as well burn the building on your way out. Thietrien wouldn't say that shit if he knew for sure he was coming back next season.

Red_Man

LeBrun said that other teams have called about Emelin but since he has that NMC it's difficult to move him.

Sweet. Also hearing Eller's name out there, which we've been hearing for 3 years now.

zroid

Banned
It is honestly amazing that Dave Poulin can regularly cover the Leafs for TSN these days without getting run out of town for how much he set back this organization as recently as a couple years ago. The media has done a great job of covering up how terrible he was from the general public.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Wow the two top penalty killers in the league are both available at the trade deadline!!! Come and get it!

0BfFrE6.png

I wouldn't mind having Hunwick back as a 7D again. Wouldn't give more than, I don't know, a 6th rounder or something for him, though.

ShaneB

I'm reading "How Music Got Free: The End of an Industry, the Turn of the Century, and the Patient Zero of Piracy" by Stephen Witt, and found it incredibly fascinating how it was the NHL that had such a massive hand in getting the MP3 format off of life support.

I'll post the full paragraph later sometime.

For those that care.. just a little back story, the mp2 had been killing mp3 in standardization rulings for various reasons, and the team behind the mp3 tech was on life support, when the following happened at a trade show..

They were saved in the end by a guy named Steve Church. Bernhard Grill had first met him at a trade show in Las Vegas the previous year. The CEO of a start-up called Telos Systems, Church was a former radio talk show host and studio engineer who saw a market for improving the quality of audio broadcasting. Like Brandenburg and Grill, he didn’t trust MPEG, as he had seen these “impartial” standards committees make biased decisions before. He agreed to an independently refereed head-to-head listening test between the mp2 and mp3, and was startled by the results.
The mp3 was way better! Shortly after the demonstration, Steve Church called back to the home office in Cleveland and arranged to repeat the experiment over a newly installed digital telephone line. The demonstration material was an encoding of Steely Dan, a band as beloved in Ohio as it was in Bavaria. Telos became the mp3’s first—and for some time, only—enterprise-scale customer. Church commissioned several hundred mp3 conversion boxes called Zephyrs, the size of VCRs, capable of streaming mp3 audio in real time. He then turned around and licensed these to his biggest customer: the National Hockey League.
Here, finally, was a stroke of good fortune. One of the key reference materials in Bernhard Grill’s menagerie of exotic sounds was a recording of a German-league professional hockey game. The sound of scattered clapping had always been a challenge for the encoder, particularly when set against a dynamic soundscape of scraping skates and brutal, bone-crushing checks. The sample was a small snippet of on-ice action, followed by a few seconds of indifferent applause. Grill had listened to it hundreds of times, isolating the encoding errors and working with Brandenburg to implement fixes. The NHL was the perfect customer: the mp3 had been specifically calibrated to the sound of the game.
But the league had certain technical requirements, and these took months to meet. By the time the units finally shipped in late 1994, the hockey players had gone on strike. That year’s shortened season didn’t officially begin until January 20, 1995—the official start date of the mp3 revolution in North America. The fastest game on ice was not widely understood to be a pioneer in digital acoustics, but as the first puck dropped on center ice that year, fans of the Blackhawks and the Red Wings were an unwitting audience on the cutting edge.

zroid

Banned
For those that care.. just a little back story, the mp2 had been killing mp3 in standardization rulings for various reasons, and the team behind the mp3 tech was on life support, when the following happened at a trade show..

that's a neat story

Top Bottom