• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2016 |OT| Parlez-vous tankçais?

imBask

Banned
20 games should be the minimum for any headshot in my book, so I guess that's pretty low for hitting a fucking ref

Line_HTX

It is really bad that that ref hit was talked about more in places that don't talk about hockey. Like, I heard this discussed multiple times on my local sports radio, lol

I bet if Torres makes that hit he would get a full season or go out of the league

Long history?

zroid

Banned
I feel conflicted about the implications of this Wideman decision. Protecting refs is incredibly important, but by throwing the book at him, it seems like the league is continuing to treat potential head injuries with complete nonchalance. The argument that "he didn't go to the locker room so he must not have been concussed" makes me disgusted. That's not how this works.

Stasis

Long history?

Suspended FIVE times.

Has the 1st and 3rd longest suspensions ever for hitting another player. 41 and 25 games respectively. And the 41 game was in preseason this year.

Some guy got a lifetime ban in 1927 for assaulting refs. And McSorley technically got a year suspension after he was convicted of assault. Was originally a 23-game for remainder of season/playoffs.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Suspension is great, but it's kind of ridiculous he gets 20 games for that and then players only get 3 games for blatant head shots on other players. Refs need to be protected, but they need to carry over this kind of discipline to the actual players.

Stasis

Suspension is great, but it's kind of ridiculous he gets 20 games for that and then players only get 3 games for blatant head shots on other players. Refs need to be protected, but they need to carry over this kind of discipline to the actual players.

Yep. The fact that they're still mostly injury dependent is asinine.

Quick

Banned
I'm torn on the Wideman suspension.

Dude looked rattled after his hit, and his actions may have been a direct cause from distress. While the Flames should've probably done some concussion testing ASAP, not doing so doesn't mean he's still 100% okay.

On that note, officials are absolutely off-limits. The hit looked intentional and it was hard, to the point that it looks like he really wanted to hurt the linesman.

Stasis

I'm torn on the Wideman suspension.

Dude looked rattled after his hit, and his actions may have been a direct cause from distress. While the Flames should've probably done some concussion testing ASAP, not doing so doesn't mean he's still 100% okay.

On that note, officials are absolutely off-limits. The hit looked intentional and it was hard, to the point that it looks like he really wanted to hurt the linesman.

I agree that he looked rattled, and I just can't bring myself to believe he'd intentionally do that to a ref. This isn't some rookie goon. He's been around, they know all this.

All that said, we'll never know what he was or wasn't feeling, but he still viciously cross-checked someone from behind for no reason. Just as bad if it was another player. It's just a weird action all around.

The wires got crossed and he thought it was the player who had hit him? I don't know wtf went on in there.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Could also be part of the punishment is for the team.

Cant really use BUT I WAS CONCUSSED if you kept playing after. If he'd gone to the locker room and stopped playig he'd have probably gotten less.

Red_Man

I wonder if part of the message is if you're concussed don't hide it.
More like "If you're concussed and our concussion spotters don't spot it, we're not taking responsibility"

If they let him go on the basis he was concussed then the league admits they fucked up and didn't look after him.

calder

Could also be part of the punishment is for the team.

Cant really use BUT I WAS CONCUSSED if you kept playing after. If he'd gone to the locker room and stopped playig he'd have probably gotten less.

Exactly, that's on the Flames and it should be. Probably every other team would have done the same, but that's no defense either, and hopefully something like this makes every trainer/coach in the league think how they react to "woozy" guys skating back to the bench slow.

I thought no matter what Wideman should get at least the 10 game minimum, but 20 surprised me a bit.

Socreges

Banned
I agree that he looked rattled, and I just can't bring myself to believe he'd intentionally do that to a ref. This isn't some rookie goon. He's been around, they know all this.

All that said, we'll never know what he was or wasn't feeling, but he still viciously cross-checked someone from behind for no reason. Just as bad if it was another player. It's just a weird action all around.

The wires got crossed and he thought it was the player who had hit him? I don't know wtf went on in there.
You're awfully generous

Even the fucking coyotes have more points than all of the canadian teams.

What a world we live in

What a world we live in

What a world we live in

What a world we live in

th

"Not bad..."

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, fuck yeah!! Thanks for sharing!!

The first song reminds me of Elvis Costello (i've only heard his first two albums so that is what I'm basing that off of).

The second song made me say "fuck yeah" out loud at two different points. Hell yeah! What do you think?

First one was too short, but I'd rather want more from a song than feel it goes on too long. Second song is really great, I love that simple bass line throughout. I'm just so glad it seems like their new record is near release, I was worried with Monastic Living releasing late last year that we wouldn't get something so soon. Their vocals are some of my favourite right now, which might have been another reason I was disappointed with Monastic.

First one was too short, but I'd rather want more from a song than feel it goes on too long. Second song is really great, I love that simple bass line throughout. I'm just so glad it seems like their new record is near release, I was worried with Monastic Living releasing late last year that we wouldn't get something so soon. Their vocals are some of my favourite right now, which might have been another reason I was disappointed with Monastic.

I hear you on the length of songs. I'm someone would rather there be no fat in a song, no bullshit to pad it out. I like how throughout their discography, their songs can span from being short and long, they definitely know when to end a song (and when to stretch it out).

I'm gonna be seeing them in two weeks, they sold out the show here. I'm curious what kind of set they're going to be playing. This has me thinking they won't play stuff just off of Monastic, which is cool, because like you, I prefer their actual "normal" songs

I love how the songs are kind of stream of consciousness/deal with whatever he's dealing with at that moment (thinking about the song about dust). The lyrics on Content Nausea are really great

Red_Man

Exclusive video by #RDS: "Carey Price seems bothered by his right leg (skating Wednesday morning)" #Habs #CH #NHL

Just shut him down for the season. We've already been the worst team in the league for two months trying to make the playoffs, put some effort into this take and a top 5 pick should be easy.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I hear you on the length of songs. I'm someone would rather there be no fat in a song, no bullshit to pad it out. I like how throughout their discography, their songs can span from being short and long, they definitely know when to end a song (and when to stretch it out).

It's weird. Like you, I prefer songs to trim the fat, and I think some people would say the final minute and a half of 'Dust' was just that, but I never felt that way when listening to it. Same way with Ought's 'Beautiful Blue Sky', or Viet Cong's 'Death'. I can't explain why it makes sense in some situations to just let the song ride out like that.

Living in a small town in Canada sucks for concerts. I live close enough to Toronto to see shows, but I'd end up travelling by myself because none of my friends are into the same music.

Red_Man

David Desharnais: 122 PP minutes this year - 4 points. That's 1 point every 30.5 minutes on the PP. #Habs
Unfuckingreal

This is like Babcock & Cleary x 100000000

imBask

Banned
Carey Price is fine, he's doing fine he'll be fine what are you talking about I bet he'll get a shutout tonight he's just so good I like him do you guys think he'll win the vziasnaa mabe he greatst gloiaeie ni da league youc ateaiT̖̗o͙̙͡ ̦i̡̗ņv̕o̯̠͙̺̱͜k̴̙̱͇̗͎̪e̡̗̻ ̲̹̪͔̝͎͇t̡͓̘̳̳̘͕h͟è̲̫̟̣͈̻ ̴̯̦͓̲h̫̮̮͔͙̳͕į̗v̩̫̩̕e͖̺̱̲-͔̝͢m̩̯̼̯ͅi̢͙̺ͅnd͍̗̩̘̺̳ ͍̰͝r̸̜̥͇̯e͓͔͓̻̙p̧͓̱̪̞̝͕ṛ̷̱e̡̪̻̥̲s͈̬̪e͇͚͟n̪̰̤̖̙̭t̲̼̹i̶ṇ̨g҉̻͍͙ ̳͝c̹̞h̠̫̘̺̻a͙͎o͈̗̯͇͉͚̹s͕͝.̞̬̬͇̻͙̗͜

It's weird. Like you, I prefer songs to trim the fat, and I think some people would say the final minute and a half of 'Dust' was just that, but I never felt that way when listening to it. Same way with Ought's 'Beautiful Blue Sky', or Viet Cong's 'Death'. I can't explain why it makes sense in some situations to just let the song ride out like that.

Living in a small town in Canada sucks for concerts. I live close enough to Toronto to see shows, but I'd end up travelling by myself because none of my friends are into the same music.

Yeah, I know what you mean. In my heart, my love for music minus the bullshit stems from the punk I grew up listening to. I'm not sure where my tolerance for that kind of stuff begins and ends. There's probably really long ambient sections of Animal Collective songs that my friends would say is boring/not engaging, but for some reason it strikes a chord with me. Maybe it boils down to being into what that band is doing as a whole - like, I'm going to interested in whatever noodling/noise Parquet Courts make, because I feel like they "get it", so whatever they do I assume is cool haha. That might not be the best way to put it though

That's a bummer. How far a drive is it to Toronto from you? I hear you on going solo to stuff. Part of me enjoys going to stuff alone, because I can wig out without having to worry about anyone else (if they're having a good time, or whatever). But going with other people makes it a lot easier to get out of the house

Red_Man

Not that he needed anymore leverage, but the negations for Price's next contract will be hilarious.

Pikma

Banned
Just shut him down for the season. We've already been the worst team in the league for two months trying to make the playoffs, put some effort into this take and a top 5 pick should be easy.
Remember that time when I told you to lower your (unrealistic) expectations 10 games into the season? This is what I was talking about.

Red_Man

Remember that time when I told you to lower your (unrealistic) expectations 10 games into the season? This is what I was talking about.
You were talking about Price having a season ending injury and the Habs going on a SH% drought and PDO level so low it's never been seen before in NHL history? You have the lottery numbers too?

Their run at the beginning of the season was obviously not sustainable, but this nose dive they've taken is historic for multiple reasons. It's a combination of poor roster management, coaching, underperforming players and bad luck that has never been seen before. Worst case scenario right would be for Bergevin to over react and blow up this core.

Top Bottom