• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2016 |OT| Parlez-vous tankçais?

RedRum

Banned
While I agree it hasn't worked, there are two things here:

1) MSL and Yandle weren't rentals. We got an extra year on them. Staal is a rental, though I'm curious to see if they try to keep him. No idea what the plans are there.

2) I wasn't a fan of giving away Duke and I'm not a huge fan of giving away Saarela either but I do think they have to go for it, even if we all know it's highly unlikely we'll win (or even come close tbh), because you just never -really- know in this league. Anything is possible when you make it to the dance. Our window is closing. It's a business and the aim is to win. With where we are now you knew we'd be buyers. They're not selling when we're in playoff position with Hank still prime. "Kick at the can" and all that.

I certainly would have liked to see us move Yandle for Nichuskin (which was rumored to be an offer at some point) and make a few other moves, then go get Shattenkirk and bring in Buch, Skjei and whoever else for next year, but that's just not how teams think and act. Hank and others would likely have been furious with that kind of attitude. Let's sell now and prep for next year maybe because the Caps and Hawks are loaded. Eh.

I just hope Staal does well for us and doesn't take as long to acclimate. He's certainly something we needed and can use. If Nash comes back strong and our two, um, struggling (I'm being polite here OK? Lol) D vets keep up more of their recent play... dare to dream we make it deep.

I'm pessimistic but there's some hope and belief in me still!

Yeah. I see what you're saying. I'm always thinking long term. This trade works well if Staal gets on the ball rolling quickly. Even more so once we get Nash back. I think the Duke trade worked well in getting us to the SCF and the ECF, but now we are on borrowed time. I have Hank at least two-three more years. If we don't have a suitable replacement for him, we will be in the dark ages and will pretty much have to rebuild from scratch.

Yawnier

Banned
At this rate there will no one left for tomorrow on tradecentre.

Aside from a bunch of Weirdcocks, Brad Boyes, Michael Grabners, and Lee Stempniaks

Entropia

No One Remembers
Canes are apparently basically playing 9 forwards right now. 3 skaters haven't touched the ice but are dressed and on the bench

Stasis

Yeah. I see what you're saying. I'm always thinking long term. This trade works well if Staal gets on the ball rolling quickly. Even more so once we get Nash back. I think the Duke trade worked well in getting us to the SCF and the ECF, but now we are on borrowed time. I have Hank at least two-three more years. If we don't have a suitable replacement for him, we will be in the dark ages and will pretty much have to rebuild from scratch.

A retool/rebuild is certainly coming. We're gonna have a dark period, no doubt about it. When and for how long are the questions. I wouldn't mind some higher draft picks during that phase.

We've got some pretty good goalie potential in the pipeline though. Buch, Skjei, Gropp maybe. Kovacs. Our ability to attract free agents. JT, Hayes, Kreider, Step. 22, 23, 24, 25. Not a real old team and lots of potential growth there still. This could go either way in the next few years really.

We keep trading away decent prospects for cup rentals. How has that worked for us the last couple of years?

1 Stanley Cup final, 2 Eastern Conference finals. My impression of NHL fans are that it's Stanley Cup or nothing, but I don't agree with that. Either way, our window doesn't seem to be closed yet (though that's only an assumption of mine, based on what I read and see others are saying, being way to ignorant still to assess that accurately myself), and it can still pay off.

Entropia

No One Remembers

yyzjohn

Banned
Yakupov is being shopped away for picks apparently.

1dDZ7f8.jpg

Cake Boss

Banned
Bruce cockrioch saying there is mild interest in Chiasson.

Why in the fuck are you not pulling this trade already? Its not like his shitty ass is getting qualified this summer. He fucking sucks give him away already and make a spot for Prince.

Anyone can rebuild a team, but can you rebuild a rebuilding team while in the process of rebuilding?

That's next level.

Seriously though, eventually Pens got out of the basement and did something with their picks.

So who is the new Carolina captain?

Should be Faulk. Good Minnesota boy.
Francis confirmed they won't name a new captain this season, but I agree it should be Faulk.

Mixed emotions with Eric leaving. Quite frankly he struggled once he was named captain. Tough shoes to fill with Francis and Brindy before him. He got better in handling the media pressure but he's essentially a power forward with very little power (not a real physical player). He also has zero finesse.

That being said, I hope the change in scenery gives him a boost and playing with more of a stacked roster gives him another shot at the Cup.

It'll be interesting to see where he lands in the offseason. The balance of the season plus the playoffs will determine whether any team decides to lay down big money for him.

Tripp said something like, as long as they don't touch the ice it doesn't count as a game played. Not sure what the implications of that is.

Oh: https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/704055714877214720

During the second period, apparently he is no longer on the bench.
McClement was forced into action with Eric being traded and clearly wasn't ready to come back from his injury. Nash got rocked in the 1st period so pretty sure that was an injury. Versteeg disappearing is interesting though. He's a UFA so maybe something in the works there. I don't recall whether he got hit.

The other guy who should be on the block is Liles. Also a UFA. He's been playing real well and our blue line is stacked for next season.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
How has Hamonic's name not come up at all the past few weeks? He wants a trade and is a valuable asset, what are the Isles planning on doing with him?

Syrinx

How has Hamonic's name not come up at all the past few weeks? He wants a trade and is a valuable asset, what are the Isles planning on doing with him?
Wasn't it about wanting to be close to home for some personal reason? Winnipeg and the other teams in the remote area around it aren't really buying right now.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
After the Semin - Therrien debacle, Edmonton would have to give Bergevin draft picks to take Yakupov.

Top Bottom