• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2016 |OT| Parlez-vous tankçais?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So where will Staal fit on the lines?

While Nash is out, I wouldn't be surprised if he plays wing with Stepan and Kreider, which moves Fast down the lineup (even though Fast has been great lately).

Otherwise I see:

Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Stepan-Miller
Hayes-Staal-Stalberg
Lindberg-Moore-Fast
Glass/Hrivik

Syrinx

Saarela's stats in Liiga are pretty good. 31 points including 18 goals in 46 games. He and Sebastian Baeho can make New Finland in Raleigh.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So that's the fucking Staal trade?

Fucking 50% Retained and 2 2nd rounders this year and next and a prospect.

Wow.

EDIT: Apparently this Saarela kid and Sebastian Aho are friends/go way back. Hopefully a good thing with chemistry on the ice.

Also this is pretty decent.

CcUuguxWwAA4DqM.jpg:large

imBask

Banned
I don't know, if they had no choice but to trade him I feel like they got a fair return. a prospect and 2 2nd pick for a contract-less 50 pointer who slowed down drastically and wouldn't sign with you anyway? I like it

the salary thing doesn't actually matter, Rags aren't winning the cup and the contract is up this summer so who cares

Honestly it'd be cool to see if Drouin and Mack had the same magic at this level but I do hope we hang on to what little assets we have in case a solid D becomes available.

Our need for someone on wing is almost as great as our need for defensive prospects. Iginla and Tanguay will be out soon and then we have Landeskog and Rantanen for the top four. I really don't want to give up Bigras or Zadorov for Drouin though, I can't see it getting done.

iLLmAtlc

Oh man great trade for the Rangers. Even tho Eric hasn't been scoring he's been dominating the other team's top defencemen territorially. carolina is at 56 corsi when he's on and 50 when he's off. If he gets a chance to line up against bottom pairing D, look out.

Syrinx

Problem now is that the Canes can't retain salary on anybody else. Ward is pretty much untradeable now unless we take back a sizable contract.

Our need for someone on wing is almost as great as our need for defensive prospects. Iginla and Tanguay will be out soon and then we have Landeskog and Rantanen for the top four. I really don't want to give up Bigras or Zadorov for Drouin though, I can't see it getting done.
I see Zadorov as trade bait if he doesn't stick next season. And yeah we need wings but holy shit we need defense like three years ago.

I see Zadorov as trade bait if he doesn't stick next season. And yeah we need wings but holy shit we need defense like three years ago.

Zads looked pretty good in his last stint here, he is likely to stick. At the same time, we can't have another Siemens situation where we keep him for too long while he loses all value.

Also, holy shit at this HF hyperbole and spelling:

Leafsbeast said:
Rielly will go down as one of the best skaters in the NHL right up there with Paul Coffee and Niedermayer.

Razorskin

----- ------
Zads looked pretty good in his last stint here, he is likely to stick. At the same time, we can't have another Siemens situation where we keep him for too long while he loses all value.

Also, holy shit at this HF hyperbole and spelling:
From the people who brought you "best passer in the league" in Nazem Kadri.

He was fine but he needs to find confidence throwing his weight around. He did it early on but it really seemed like his confidence waned the more he played. But that's to be expected when we have few people to pair him with that could actually cover his mistakes.

And like I said before if we trade Bigras and it's not objectively a huge upgrade for us on defense we are dead in the water. The cupboards are fucking bare. I wish I could trust Roy wouldn't make it worse but I just don't know man.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man great trade for the Rangers. Even tho Eric hasn't been scoring he's been dominating the other team's top defencemen territorially. carolina is at 56 corsi when he's on and 50 when he's off. If he gets a chance to line up against bottom pairing D, look out.

This is why I like the idea of Staal on this team (assuming he didn't give up anything too obviously boneheaded for him) despite his declining numbers. He doesn't have to be the 1C here, and that could make a huge difference for him. Plus the hidden potential bonus of what having Eric around might do for Marc, both on and off the ice.

Of course, it is possible that his productivity really is just falling off a cliff and no change of scenery will be able to do anything about that, but I guess we'll see.

It will also be interesting to see how he reacts in the immediate aftermath of the trade. MSL took a good month after he was traded to score his first goal but became indispensable in the run to the Stanley Cup Finals. Keith Yandle likewise was pretty terrible after joining the team and only started finding glimpses of his game at times in the playoffs. The last time we had trade deadline acquisitions come in and make an immediate impact was when Brassard, Dorsett and (John) Moore came over in exchange for Gaborik 3 years ago.

Apparently the Rangers are still potentially in the mix for Brandon Pirri, by the way. Not sure we can pull that off with the deadline cap space we have left, though. If the Panthers retained 50%, he might BARELY fit under the cap. Otherwise we'd almost certainly have to send back a roster player.

Top Bottom