• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2016 |OT| Parlez-vous tankçais?

John Scott the first star of the week. Well deserved.

That may have been the best All Star Game in recent memory. I liked the format, and making it tournament-style actually gave it stakes instead of a goal fest. There was a disallowed goal because Hall bumped Bishop. I saw Subban go down to try to block a shot. Bergeron was back checking, but that's probably reflexive. The league won't be able to top this next year.

Somewhere, Rory Fitzpatrick is crying.

trifelife

Great, now if only they'd get rid of in-market blackouts on GameCentre we'd be talking

9546ffe5bf85f4ed339a02ce9a7825d3.jpg

Calamari41

41 > 38

That may have been the best All Star Game in recent memory. I liked the format, and making it tournament-style actually gave it stakes instead of a goal fest. There was a disallowed goal because Hall bumped Bishop. I saw Subban go down to try to block a shot. Bergeron was back checking, but that's probably reflexive. The league won't be able to top this next year.

Yes, it was very good. If the NHL went as far as MLB and actually attached something meaningful to the outcome; say home ice advantage in the Conference Finals and/or SCF, it would become even more exciting.

ZeroGravity

February is going to be great, I can feel it. Habs are going to tank, Drouin is going to get traded, Stamkos is not gonna get dealt and we're all gonna laugh at Tampa, Staal will end up in Montreal for some dumb reason, Creeper will turn heel, Red will turn on Galchenyuk
No reason to trade him if we're trying to win a Stanley Cup.

Great, now if only they'd get rid of in-market blackouts on GameCentre we'd be talking

9546ffe5bf85f4ed339a02ce9a7825d3.jpg

I'll subscribe within seconds of the announcement that blackouts are a thing of the past. I'm obviously not alone. Does the money from exclusivity with old ass cable companies really outweigh the money they could get for non-exclusivity + thousands of new subscribers on their service?

Doubt it.

Yes, it was very good. If the NHL went as far as MLB and actually attached something meaningful to the outcome; say home ice advantage in the Conference Finals and/or SCF, it would become even more exciting.

The MLB all star game isn't even that fun to watch as much as I love baseball. The change to the home run derby though was incredible

I'll subscribe within seconds of the announcement that blackouts are a thing of the past. I'm obviously not alone. Does the money from exclusivity with old ass cable companies really outweigh the money they could get for non-exclusivity + thousands of new subscribers on their service?

Doubt it.
It's probably a matter of waiting out contracts. But who knows what happens when said contracts are up, those old media hooks are in deep in a lot of places.

do you really want to see an effortless Scott Niedermayer at the all star game?

http://youtu.be/4wMzSbFQ5x4

Perry was robbed by that call/challenge. All good though, Perry got the game winner for the people's champ

Doubt it.

Well we can do the math on this one. Let's assume they get a total of a million subscribers to the network, which I think is probably a bit lofty. If they're all paying 179 per year, that's $179 million per year. The Rogers TV deal was 5.232 Billion over 12 years, making it about $436 million per year.

Sadly, still yes probably.

Edit: Now that's not to say the NHL couldn't supplement that revenue stream with ads, but they're not doing a bang up job of that currently.

It's probably a matter of waiting out contracts. But who knows what happens when said contracts are up, those old media hooks are in deep in a lot of places.

I remember hearing something along these lines. Can't remember the source though.

I would even be fine with paying a little more for GCL if it had no blackouts. Since the NHL blocks ads most of the time in streams, I don't know why they don't sell that time. Minutes at a time with "The game will return after the commercial break" on screen...

Chris R

Does the new streaming deal fix the issue the old stuff had of the minute plus delay from live?

If so I'll switch off HS next season.

trifelife

Well we can do the math on this one. Let's assume they get a total of a million subscribers to the network, which I think is probably a bit lofty. If they're all paying 179 per year, that's $179 million per year. The Rogers TV deal was 5.232 Billion over 12 years, making it about $436 million per year.

Sadly, still yes probably.

Edit: Now that's not to say the NHL couldn't supplement that revenue stream with ads, but they're not doing a bang up job of that currently.

Yep. Regional blackouts may disappear in the USA but Canadians are going to be stuck with cable for a long-ass time. It's a bummer considering Blue Jays blackouts on MLB.tv were lifted.

ZeroGravity

With the way you speak about Stamkos, trading him would likely make the team better, provided they get a roster player or two in return.
Deals like that usually don't happen at the deadline though. Stamkos has also turned around his game a bit after finally finding some chemistry with Palat and Namestnikov.

it's a gamble, gotta think about it for sure. Nothing against Tampa this year but I really feel like it's going to be the Hawks again
Probably, but it's the same risk any other team who wants to contend takes on by trading for rentals.

Syrinx

I'm not sure what the Canes are going to do this month in terms of trading.

They always do this. They suck in October and November, then they start picking it up. If they trade someone away, that means they're not going making a strong effort to make the playoffs. They can probably get a good return on Staal though, but I would hate to see Staal in a non-Canes jersey.

At best, I can see them getting rid of a defenseman, which they some how have an abundance of decent to good ones.

What will probably end up happening is that they stay the course and miss the playoffs because they lost their last regular season game and they needed another team to lose to be able to make it.
I don't know what the fuck the Canes are going to do with Staal, and neither does anybody else, really. He just seems to really, really not want to leave, both because he likes Carolina and because he wants to keep playing with Babby Staal.

Our most likely trade pieces are probably Kris Versteeg and JM Liles. Maybe Ward but probably not if we're in any sort of a playoff hunt.

Home-ice in the SCF would invalidate the President's Trophy. But even then, is there any reason to send your best player(s) when your spot in the SCF isn't even guaranteed? I'm sure the Caps would prefer a rested Ovechkin in the SCF even if they are on the road.

I think, outside of this year, the ASG will always be for the fans of the host city. The contenders will take the week off. They could make it like the NFL where the non-finalists participate, but then it's like hosting a movie awards ceremony on the same day as the Oscars: you won't get the crème de la crème showing up.

One nit-pick: I thought doing the Hardest Shot competition without helmets was a bit risky. What if your shot careens off the crossbar/post or the middle post of the net?

calder

I kinda like the new NHL.com layout, but the old one was so awful how could it not be better. Eager to see what the new GCL is like, with MLBAM I have some higher expectations.

XCOM2 is coming out this week? Sweet! It's $79.99 on Steam? What the actual fuck FIX THIS SHIT TRUDEAU.

TUSR

Banned
gamecenter has always been

and always will

be trash

unless of course you live on the other side of the country of your favourite team

Yawnier

Banned
I got three years *free of NHL gamecenter because I was on the phone with a rogers person a few months ago for like 2-3 hours and he felt bad for me

*free: because I don't know what shady shit rogers will eventually pull about it. Fuck rogers.

Pikma

Banned
I don't see the point of having GCL right now, especially if you frequent this thread while watching the games. It's impossible to not get spoiled with that one minute delay

I don't see the point of having CGL right now, especially if you frequent this thread while watching the games. It's impossible to not get spoiled with that one minute delay

That's why I dropped them and started fishing for streams. Luckily I have been able to watch some nice youtube streams

I've been surviving this way, and I haven't had any issues since making changes to my internet service.

Same. I am surprised that these illegal streams are pretty much in sync with live.

Is Center Ice pricey? Just curious.

Depends on your definition of pricey. at the start of the season it was like 139.99 for the whole season for all access and like 109.99 for one team all season.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rick Nash, who missed the last couple of games before the All-Star break with a bone bruise, still is not skating with the team today.

Neither is Ryan McDonagh, what with playing in the ASG yesterday and such.

Chris R

I don't see the point of having CGL right now, especially if you frequent this thread while watching the games. It's impossible to not get spoiled with that one minute delay

Well they just switched streaming technology right? I don't know if the MLB streaming has the same delay since I watch all my Mariners games on live TV.

If the delay is gone, I'd be more than happy to switch to GCL assuming Alaska isn't blacked out of ALL markets... seeing as we don't have an official hockey market.

calder

Yeah we'll have to see how much the new NHL.tv reduces the delay, hopefully it's as good as MLB.tv is where you notice it but it's minimal.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/mondaymustread-scott-approached-about-movie-1.431618

NHL All-Star Game MVP John Scott being carried on his teammates’ shoulders on Sunday was better than any Hollywood script. It actually happened.

But Scott’s story could eventually play out again on the big screen.

Through his agent, Ben Hankinson of Octagon Hockey, Scott has been approached about the possibility of a movie based on his career in addition to a slew of endorsement opportunities.

Hankinson said Monday he is only beginning to sort through the options.

“The John Scott ride has been nothing short of a rollercoaster to an incredible ending,” Hankinson said. “We do have a lot of different options for him to pursue, but he’s not looking to do everything there is. He’s going to have some different routes that he can take as far as books and even a potential movie. He can take it as far as he wants to.”

Top Bottom