• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2016 |OT| Parlez-vous tankçais?

Silexx

Outside of that Zetterberg goal(which was actually caused by Ryan's stupid play), Phaneuf wasn't even that bad, he was just ok.

Hard to win when your own forwards nullify most of your scoring chances though, especially on 6 powerplays.

Our forwards definitely shit the bed tonight, but Mrazek has been our kryptonite for some reason lately.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Our forwards definitely shit the bed tonight, but Mrazek has been our kryptonite for some reason lately.

He's been on his game in 2016, had a nasty shutout streak going until that Hoffman goal.

I think we could have scored a goal or two in the earlier powerplays if it wasn't for Mrazek making some really great saves.

Stasis

McIlrath with that extra soul destruction for good measure. :D

Wish he had done it TO Letang rather than as a give and take lol.

Also, did I hear that right? No shots for Crosby? Best part of this game imo. Point/goal streak dead is fantastic, but no shots even? Glorious.

zroid

Banned
So this is what the Rangers are like without McDonagh. impressive.

Scoring Chances:
ESdo8wv.png

Shot Locations:
D8i3Z8H.png

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So this is what the Rangers are like without McDonagh. impressive.

Scoring Chances:
ESdo8wv.png

Shot Locations:
D8i3Z8H.png

Not sure I quite believe that scoring chances chart. The Penguins had a fuck load of opportunities in the first as the Rangers were coughing it up in their own zone left and right, way more than what that chart is showing.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I had to start using GCL because of the hockeystreams sign up issues, and GCL was working fine before the update. Now, I can't watch anything. I try to put on this Canucks - Coyotes game and it gives me a network error, did the same with old games yesterday. The fuck is this garbage.

I had to start using GCL because of the hockeystreams sign up issues, and GCL was working fine before the update. Now, I can't watch anything. I try to put on this Canucks - Coyotes game and it gives me a network error, did the same with old games yesterday. The fuck is this garbage.

Go off the grid brah

/r/NHL_streams over on reddit. Gonna have to fish but there have been some quality Youtube streams this season

iLLmAtlc

Gary's reaction:

tVBA15y.gif

I want to watch the games on my TV though :(

Seriously. NHL is so far behind and still their profits climb.

Ah fair enough. Yeah they are nice quality for my comp but if you hooked up an hdmi cord from your comp to your TV idk how it would look but it could be worth a try?

zroid

Banned
Everyone was so hopeful that NHL.tv would actually make things better, too... since MLB.tv is apparently very good

seems like they rushed the product out the door for whatever reason. obviously releasing it mid-season didn't help. I've seen speculation that it was done mid-season because MLBAM couldn't give two shits about worrying about the NHL job once baseball season starts up again... sounds about right.

I'm lucky I got NHL Centre Ice for free, for now at least. don't know when it's gonna expire.

Red_Man

Hopefully Hockeystreams resurfaces or an alternative pops up. Trying to pay good money to watch your favourite team shouldn't be this difficult.

Ah fair enough. Yeah they are nice quality for my comp but if you hooked up an hdmi cord from your comp to your TV idk how it would look but it could be worth a try?
I can try something like that, just an inconvenience. Last thing I want to do when I come home is troll reddit looking for streams and trying to set it all up. I refuse to pay for cable too.

Finding an NHL stream in the post-HS world:

1) Google NHL streams > select stream of choice. Approx time investment 2-3 mins.

2) Add Phoenix add-on to Kodi. Approx time investment 5-7 mins.

3) Pay to be part of the NHL.tv beta. Approx time investment ???

Red_Man

Finding an NHL stream in the post-HS world:

1) Google NHL streams > select stream of choice. Approx time investment 2-3 mins.

2) Add Phoenix add-on to Kodi. Approx time investment 5-7 mins.

3) Pay to be part of the NHL.tv beta. Approx time investment ???
What's Kodi?

iLLmAtlc

I goto NHL.com because it was the fastest way on mobile that I knew of to check the scores. Since they revamped it it loads a lot slower for me, and their app is a lot slower too.

zroid

Banned
I have NHL.tv or whatever, but I'll probably get rid of it if black out restrictions get enforced.

ah ok, I forgot that was on the site, i always used to use the app

I goto NHL.com because it was the fastest way on mobile that I knew of to check the scores. Since they revamped it it loads a lot slower for me, and their app is a lot slower too.

I use google to check scores, lol

iLLmAtlc

Ha Google works too. But then I need to know who scored for fantasy purposes. >_>

I'll have to give The Score app another whirl. I used it for a while but I still liked nhl.com more, which was really clean too.

It was also so bloody fast, I remember the site updated within seconds of the goal being scored on TV.

zroid

Banned
The Cowen contract really is funny. It would be stupid not to buy him out this summer, even if you liked him as a player.

He's like $3M on the cap next year, and $4.5M or so in real money. With a buyout, you owe him $1.5M total over next two years, and it's a net $100k cap hit over the same.

Only reason he wouldn't get bought out is if you were worried about him bolting in free agency.

iLLmAtlc

Honestly, I'm perfectly OK with finishing as best they can in the standings. Tanking is so overrated. I think it looked sexy because the league had an influx of some amazing talent in the mid 2000s, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Toews, Kane, Stamkos, Tavares, go down the list.

2010 was the last year where true franchise players were drafted (Hall, Seguin), and since then they've just been good (so far). RNH, MacKinnon, Jones, Hubeardeau, Landeskog, etc etc. How do you know which side you're gonna land on?

Plus if you actually go through the draft histories on wikipedia, you'll see the amount of impact players drafted in the top 16 are probably about equal as flops. You probably don't need to suck to build a sustainable winner.

I'm OK with the way Vancouver is driving to 9th. Their young players are getting tons of important minutes and I feel like they're all getting better. It's totally different than the Flames in those final Iginla years because they kept trying to get rental/older guys even though it was clearly over.

Being competitive is better as a fan too. Even though the Canucks lost in 5 last year, who could honestly say that wasn't really fun and intense? Playoff hockey is great.

As long as they can draft well, we don't need to be cheering for tanking, IMO.

Socreges

Banned
Honestly, I'm perfectly OK with finishing as best they can in the standings. Tanking is so overrated. I think it looked sexy because the league had an influx of some amazing talent in the mid 2000s, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Toews, Kane, Stamkos, Tavares, go down the list.

2010 was the last year where true franchise players were drafted (Hall, Seguin), and since then they've just been good (so far). RNH, MacKinnon, Jones, Hubeardeau, Landeskog, etc etc. How do you know which side you're gonna land on?

Plus if you actually go through the draft histories on wikipedia, you'll see the amount of impact players drafted in the top 16 are probably about equal as flops. You probably don't need to suck to build a sustainable winner.

I'm OK with the way Vancouver is driving to 9th. Their young players are getting tons of important minutes and I feel like they're all getting better. It's totally different than the Flames in those final Iginla years because they kept trying to get rental/older guys even though it was clearly over.

Being competitive is better as a fan too. Even though the Canucks lost in 5 last year, who could honestly say that wasn't really fun and intense? Playoff hockey is great.

As long as they can draft well, we don't need to be cheering for tanking, IMO.
Buh?Why do you think 2010 looks better to you? Because they've had five years to develop. Seguin and Hall are true franchise players, but MacKinnon, McDavid, Ekblad, etc are just "good"? Come on.

2011 and 2012 were down years, I guess. That's the anomaly. But since then you've got MacKinnon, McDavid, Eichel, Matthews incoming. And I'd say guys like Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin hit the league at a time when it was changing so they looked even more exceptional. They stood way above the rest. Tavares, Kane, Toews, Stamkos.... guys like that are continuing to come along. You've created this 00s vs 10s myth in your head, dude.

As for the Canucks and their plan. I like what the org is doing. They want the team to be successful (so they continue to make money) but concede that the youth need to be the focus. That said, adding Matthews or Laine next season would be huge. That would speed things along for sure. Those are the players you can't sign or trade for. They need to be drafted. I would take the tank over middling success... for years on end... every time.

iLLmAtlc

Well Hall started to dominate in year 3. He had very little to do with more development time. Seguin was year 4, fwiw, right after the trade.

I'm not sure if I'm correct on this, but I do recall that 3rd year is when a lot of guys start dominating.

Mackinnon and the 2013 class are all entering into year 3 now. So far nobody in that class is dominating.

I'm not sure if I've created any myth.

Originally I had a proviso that of course what I said doesn't apply if you've got s true generational guy like McDavid lol.

Also your point about Ekblad is spot on, I had forgotten about him and he's been exceptional.

Top Bottom