• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If I wasn't lazy, I'd go back through the old threads and gather up all the Leaf posts joking about Mirtle, corsi and all that back when the Leafs were winning.

the problem isn't that the leafs are failing due to a magical corsi swing

its because they aren't doing what they were doing before. Taking high percentage shots from dangerous areas with the other teams D and G vulnerable. This is primarily due to the leafs PFs (kulemin, lupul, JVR, bolland) which are essentially magnets and attract half the other team blowing a hole in positioning and either setting themselves up or someone else up for an incredibly high percentage shot.

their shot quality hasn't just dipped, it flat out nosedived. Primarily because the players aren't charging the net... Turning into the wall instead of cutting into the slot... Not crossing up, remaining on perimeter and taking perimeter shots... Essentially playing it safe a) for defensive positioning and/or b) the fear of getting hit. I would assume a lot of this has to do with the leafs not skating anywhere as fast as they should be. No speed greatly impacts a PF and finesse players... Which is a good majority of the leafs. We haven't been getting a lot of scoring from our D, either.

their cumulative SOG/AON makes the situation even worse because other teams will score a bunch of junk goals to buffer the high skill goals. Leafs goals are primarily high skill... "one shot offense" as leafs tv put it last night.

the leafs problems completely boil down to speed and confidence, not the SOG. Correlation != cause

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
You really dislike Corsi, don't you? :p

corsi is horshit. Anyone who likes mathematics would know the data is really poor.

Corsi/fenwick would be a lot better as a companion stat to a shot quality stat.

in corsi, a shot is a shot is a shot. Anybody who believes a shot from the point with no net interference is equal to a one timer on a 2 man breakaway should probably watch basketball

Grabovski extension talks starting:

Adam Vingan @AdamVingan
Mikhail Grabovski's agent, Gary Greenstin, said that he has initiated conversation with the #Caps about keeping him in Washington.

Erat trade talks with Phoenix:

@brianlawton9: Hearing the @washcaps and @phoenixcoyotes coyotes are talking Martin Erat trade. #caps looking for a D-man back! @yotes need scoring help!

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I still think Erat is a good playmaker. He just can't score. I think it would help if his coach stopped playing him at a position he never played before in his career.

Coyotes need scoring help, so they want to trade for Erat?

This is why Lawton failed at being a GM.

It's a Grabovski situation with Erat.

He's still a 50-60 point player but our coach decided to make him play at centre and on the 4th line this year, despite him playing at RW his whole career :/

Top Bottom