• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
the leafs problems completely boil down to speed and confidence, not the SOG. Correlation != cause
It also comes down to them not possessing the puck nearly enough, and their goalies save percentages regressing back down to earth and getting exposed for it finally. All these guys seem to have predicted the collapse fairly easily considering you consider it all bullshit. I'm not saying the math behind it is flawless, but I think it's pretty ignorant at this point to say it's completely useless.

It also comes down to them not possessing the puck nearly enough, and their goalies save percentages regressing back down to earth and getting exposed for it finally. All these guys seem to have predicted the collapse fairly easily considering you consider it all bullshit. I'm not saying the math behind it is flawless, but I think it's pretty ignorant at this point to say it's completely useless.

This is essentially what I was going to type. Look at the teams that have good corsi numbers and look at those teams and where they are in the standings.

Of course the numbers and math isn't infallible, but to dismiss every year this projects things correctly as a coincidence or a fluke is absurd.

Red_Man

If the Leafs miss the playoffs I think Carlyle is safe. They exceeded expectations last year and they do have a decent team.
Mackenzie has already mentioned he could be in danger sooner then later if they don't turn around, if they miss the playoffs I would think it's guaranteed he's gone. When Mackenzie is saying you could be fired, you know he got it from inside the organization.

Mackenzie has already mentioned he could be in danger sooner then later if they don't turn around, if they miss the playoffs I would think it's guaranteed he's gone. When Mackenzie is saying you could be fired, you know he got it from inside the organization.

Less than 2 years with the team... that would suck if he were fired. But I guess if the players aren't going the coach has to.

corsi is horshit. Anyone who likes mathematics would know the data is really poor.

Corsi/fenwick would be a lot better as a companion stat to a shot quality stat.

in corsi, a shot is a shot is a shot. Anybody who believes a shot from the point with no net interference is equal to a one timer on a 2 man breakaway should probably watch basketball

Corsi and fenwick are, I think, helpful when looked at in conjunction with other stats - like any other stat really. I wonder if the moniker their proponents borrowed from baseball is one of the reason why there's so much annoyance/controversy about it.

As for the Leafs, it's probably more accurate to say that they're built as a rush team, as opposed to this 'quality shot' stuff.

Also, for those looking to feel worse about the situation:

http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2011/...s-Aaron-Ward-Joffrey-Lupul-Fire-Randy-Carlyle

If the Leafs miss the playoffs I think Carlyle is safe. They exceeded expectations last year and they do have a decent team.

Wait, you think Carlyle is safe if the Leafs miss the playoffs? That's a nightmare scenario if ever there was one.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Grigorenko will probably require more in a trade than he's worth considering where he was picked. I just don't see anything there with him.

Some flyers fan on twitter tweets "Classless bolts fans", promptly deletes her tweets and cries about bolts fans "harassing her".

I point out that Philly sports fans really shouldn't be talking about class and she misunderstands and retweets me thinking I'm agreeing with her.

...oh, Philly fans.

Cake Boss

Banned
A lady is offering me the Dell XPS 10.1 inch tablet for $220. Should I take it??

I mostly need a windows tablet for some school work during class.

Red_Man

832978416.gif

Is the surface really that much better, its using the same OS right?

Checked amazon, the Dell one retails for $500.

Yes. The performance of the surface is much much better than the dell one. If you look at reviews of the Dell one as well, it hovers around a 7 but all of the complaints are about the performance.

Is the surface really that much better, its using the same OS right?

Checked amazon, the Dell one retails for $500.

I love my original Surface Pro, such a great device.

So we are going to get destroyed again tonight:

Gustav Nyquist - Henrik Zetterberg - Daniel Alfredsson
Drew Miller - Justin Abdelkader - Todd Bertuzzi
Tomas Tatar(?) - Joakim Andersson - Riley Sheahan
Daniel Cleary - Luke Glendening - Patrick Eaves

Oh and Howard is starting, yup completely destroyed. Not watching this massacre since I'll be out with friends, thank goodness.

I love my original Surface Pro, such a great device.

So we are going to get destroyed again tonight:

Gustav Nyquist - Henrik Zetterberg - Daniel Alfredsson
Drew Miller - Justin Abdelkader - Todd Bertuzzi
Tomas Tatar(?) - Joakim Andersson - Riley Sheahan
Daniel Cleary - Luke Glendening - Patrick Eaves

Oh and Howard is starting, yup completely destroyed. Not watching this massacre since I'll be out with friends, thank goodness.

Should have kept Valtteri.

Top Bottom