• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Pleks had 11 shots, Toews had 1. Might be Pleks best game ever and he didn't even score #Selke

It was 50/50 for me, if it counted I wouldn't have a problem with it, but them calling it goalie interference works too, he was pretty deep in the blue paint. Refs have no consistency with goalie interference calls.

I looked at Plekanec's advanced stats to see, and... sorry, but he's still quite far away from other Selke contenders. He is matched up with similarly key opponent players, but he fares far worse than other players (namely Couture, Steen, Marleau). Bergeron isn't matched up with THAT good opponents, but he's absolutely dominating the competition he IS matched up with, which makes him rank so high.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I looked at Plekanec's advanced stats to see, and... sorry, but he's still quite far away from other Selke contenders. He is matched up with similarly key opponent players, but he fares far worse than other players (namely Couture, Steen, Marleau). Bergeron isn't matched up with THAT good opponents, but he's absolutely dominating the competition he IS matched up with, which makes him rank so high.
I said consideration, his name deserves a mention, how many centers in this league can shut down the likes of Crosby, Toews, Ovechkin, etc? His main fault his is FO percentage, but he perfectly embodies what the Selke is about. Also Pleks plays with much weaker line mates then all those guys you mentioned, he plays with an over the hill midget, and his other winger is constantly rotating under achieving forwards.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I said consideration, his name deserves a mention, how many centers in this league can shut down the likes of Crosby, Toews, Ovechkin, etc? His main fault his is FO percentage, but he perfectly embodies what the Selke is about. Also Pleks plays with much weaker line mates then all those guys you mentioned, he plays with an over the hill midget, and his other winger is constantly rotating under achieving forwards.

I don't see him play often, so I can really only go by stats. They show that he is matched up against other team's key players, but that he doesn't fare particularly well. (e.g. he has a terrible Corsi) Other players (the aforementioned ones e.g.) are matched up against similar/better competition and have an awesome Corsi. That obviously doesn't tell the whole story and Plekanec would probably have a better Corsi with better linemates, but it explains why he's not mentioned all that often when talking about Selke candidates.

Red_Man

I don't see him play often, so I can really only go by stats. They show that he is matched up against other team's key players, but that he doesn't fare particularly well. (e.g. he has a terrible Corsi) Other players (the aforementioned ones e.g.) are matched up against similar/better competition and have an awesome Corsi. That obviously doesn't tell the whole story and Plekanec would probably have a better Corsi with better linemates, but it explains why he's not mentioned all that often when talking about Selke candidates.
Yea, you can't use Corsi for this. Pleks is often times put on the ice with Murray / Bouillion because his line is the most responsible defensively, so obviously his corsi is not going to be great. He's one of the best two way forwards in the league, put him on a team like Chicago or St. Louis and he would get the recognition he deserves.

Good win, playing last night and playing a man down we could have tried to coast to OT for a point. Glad that wasn't the case. Hope Stastny is OK.

Shaky finish but I'll take the Ducks win

ibeNp73bJHdiZ5.gif

Just pulling your leg brah

I figured :lol

But for how great Suter is most of the time, there really are a surprisingly high number of highlight reel goals against him. Boyle last year being the chief candidate.

Now the Wild go on another slide and Vman disappears along with 'em

edit: We may have done them a favor though, maybe Yeo gets fired now? lol

I really, really hope this doesn't start a new slide. :(

Vman

I figured :lol

But for how great Suter is most of the time, there really are a surprisingly high number of highlight reel goals against him. Boyle last year being the chief candidate.

I really, really hope this doesn't start a new slide. :(

Hopefully we just win tomorrow and everythings fine

pringles

I'm amazed Tatar is playing tonight, his dad passed away just yesterday.

Alfredsson a late scratch, groin I'm assuming. We're now down to 1 legit top 6 player in the lineup.

Quick

Banned
GET SOME RESPECT BY MAKIN' QUESTIONABLE HITS.

MAKE THE OPPOSITION RESPECT YOU BY BOARDIN' HIM.

MAKE THE GOALIE RESPECT YOU BY KNOCKIN' HIM DOWN.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Good lord, tonight's Wings team has 3 guys that can score, playing.

Zetterberg, Tatar, and Nyquist.

This is sad.

Abby, Z, Nyquist
Tatar, Sheahan, Bertuzzi
Cleary, Glendening, Eaves
Miller, Andersson, Samuelsson

Red_Man

Fucking fire Therrien already!

Oh shit they actually won? Well fire him anyway.
You miss the whole game? Best game they have played this year by far, and they weren't dumping and chasing. Maybe Therrien should try playing like this every game.

pringles

Good lord, tonight's Wings team has 3 guys that can score, playing.

Zetterberg, Tatar, and Nyquist.

This is sad.

Abby, Z, Nyquist
Tatar, Sheahan, Bertuzzi
Cleary, Glendening, Eaves
Miller, Andersson, Samuelsson
3 guys who shouldn't be in the NHL anymore, 1 guy we waived earlier in the year and no one picked up, 1 guy we ourselves picked up off waivers, 1 guy playing his 7th NHL game... this is the most shit lineup the Wings have iced in my 20 years as a fan.

edit: and a shit goaltender. though that was clear goalie interference. ugh, gonna be another ugly game.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Terrible call on Andersson and of course goalie interference not called... Kings score. What else is new?

EDIT - Wow, that Kings player totally collided with Howard with no other Red Wing in the area... That is insane that goal was allowed.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
He grabbed the stick yup.

Edit.Looked like Howard pushed Brown and he fell not sure.
Just saw the penalty replay, yeah Andersson grabbed his stick. What a dummy

Brown went down "easy". Howard had position and Brown tripped back over Howards stick. It still should've been incidental contact and the play shoudl've been blown dead with no goal.

Top Bottom