• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

Razorskin

----- ------
I'll enjoy this win until they shit the bed next game

vincedancingv6q5s93p6i.gif

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yeah, I just watched the last period and a half. You guys played well. You and Tampa scare the shit out of me in the East.

Dumb move by Kane and I don't know what he's thinking. But benching a franchise player? Come on.

Yeah, I mean how terrible of a coach do you have to be to bench a Franchise player?

-looks at Habs-

Giggzy

How hard is learning to skate on ice? I've done it twice in my life, but I want to learn. My goal is to be adequate enough to play in an adult hockey league by next winter. Doable?

pringles

Tomas Tatar <3

Salutes to the sky for his father who passed away yesterday. Can't believe he's even able to play, and he's been the best player on the ice.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Well, I'm pleasantly surprised.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
How hard is learning to skate on ice? I've done it twice in my life, but I want to learn. My goal is to be adequate enough to play in an adult hockey league by next winter. Doable?

The most difficult thing to learn is stopping. More so on your weak foot. Also transitioning to backwards skating and actually skating backwards proves to be difficult for a lot of people. You get those under control and you're pretty good off.

When I started to play hockey at about 16 or so all I could do was skate forward... it took about 3 years to become very good.

Within a year you can probably become OK.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So that's the trick for Howard... He has to face 45+ shots to play well. Both this game and the Dallas game he was in the zone and stopped like 40 shots each game. Good win for the Wings and big game for Tatar, couldn't have scripted that any better.

Quick

Banned

Doable.

I think the biggest hurdle is letting go of anything to hold onto and balance by yourself. When you get past that, the basics are a walk in the park. The act of propelling yourself forward and turning is straightforward. Skating backwards and stopping are the tough ones to learn.

For stopping, most of it is mental. The actual way to stop is simple. Your mind is fighting your body from making a motion that might make you fall over. It's really all about getting used to it. Skating backwards is all about practice.

Falling down or slipping is a big hurdle that can be tough to overcome. You're fighting the instinct to prevent it from happening, like how you would flail your arms to attempt to balance yourself when you're slipping in general. I know an exercise that a few instructors do is let kids slide around and fall on purpose with protective equipment on (helmet, elbow and knee pads).

Next step after all these is learning hockey. On the surface, it's as simple as having a stick and puck to play with, but if you're playing with a team, all of the things I mentioned above come into play: skating (fast), turning, stopping, skating backwards. There's also coordinating with your teammates on the ice to make sure you're all on the same page.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just saw Tatar's goal and how he saluted to his dad who just passed away, that's pretty heartwarming to see.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Also, you'll probably only be able to stop one way at first (ie facing left or right). It took me like 2 years to fully learn how to stop using my right skate. This was when I was like 7 years old, but still.

And I agree that if you can get into full gear and practice in it that way, you'll be much less afraid to fall. In fact, I'd almost suggest learning how to fall and slide so you get used to it and lose the fear.

If you really want to learn and be good enough to play in an adult rec league, you really need to commit to it.

Hunter S.

Thanks Detroit and Boston for winning tonight!

Stasny loves Denver. He probably will take a major pay cut to stay an Av.

He damn well better take one

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Well the Jimmy Howard hype train is already gone. He hurt himself at the end of the game and will be out "for a while" as Babcock put it. Looks like a hip flexor. This team has not had a single game yet with a full healthy roster, amazing.

Samyy

I'd glady give up Kadri and Gardiner for ROR :p
ROR is better then Kadri and we have a bunch of D prospects that are playing well. Rielly is a similar type of player as well.
We'll throw in a 2nd or something!

I'd glady give up Kadri and Gardiner for ROR :p
ROR is better then Kadri and we have a bunch of D prospects that are playing well. Rielly is a similar type of player as well.
We'll throw in a 2nd or something!

This is some HF boards bullshit. All started by that clown Eklund.

Giggzy

Also, you'll probably only be able to stop one way at first (ie facing left or right). It took me like 2 years to fully learn how to stop using my right skate. This was when I was like 7 years old, but still.

And I agree that if you can get into full gear and practice in it that way, you'll be much less afraid to fall. In fact, I'd almost suggest learning how to fall and slide so you get used to it and lose the fear.

If you really want to learn and be good enough to play in an adult rec league, you really need to commit to it.

Cool, thanks. I plan on taking an 8 week training course at the Ducks public ice rink by my house, so hopefully that helps. I'm not sure how similar the fundamentals are with roller skating and ice skating, but I played roller hockey for a few years as a kid/teen and also was heavily into aggressive inline skating(lol) so I'm not really afraid of falling.

Top Bottom