• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

Quick

Banned
You'll take Paul Ranger for MacKinnon, Ryan O'Reilly, and three first round picks and like it.

1ZDI8.gif

Cool, thanks. I plan on taking an 8 week training course at the Ducks public ice rink by my house, so hopefully that helps. I'm not sure how similar the fundamentals are with roller skating and ice skating, but I played roller hockey for a few years as a kid/teen and also was heavily into aggressive inline skating(lol) so I'm not really afraid of falling.

The one in Westminster or Anaheim Ice?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Cool, thanks. I plan on taking an 8 week training course at the Ducks public ice rink by my house, so hopefully that helps. I'm not sure how similar the fundamentals are with roller skating and ice skating, but I played roller hockey for a few years as a kid/teen and also was heavily into aggressive inline skating(lol) so I'm not really afraid of falling.
Oh you at least have inline skating experience? Well that kinda changes things. I was thinking you had no real skating ability. My friend played roller hockey with me growing up (in the driveway mostly) but moved to ice hockey a few years after college. He's actually pretty good, a lot better than I had expected. You at least have the balance and ability to do the basics with no problems. Sure there's a little adjustment going to ice, but some things may actually be easier for you on ice than street.

I did the same. Played a lot if roller hockey and did some agressive in-line when I was in Cali. Then went into ice hockey.

Transitioning to ice is easy. Honestly it is a lot less effort on ice compared to roller blades, and it is faster. The fundementals are essentialy the same but ice skating comes with a lot less resistance. So you need to make it less about power with strides and more finesse with it. You aren't kicking off like on blades but gliding on ice skates.

How hard is learning to skate on ice? I've done it twice in my life, but I want to learn. My goal is to be adequate enough to play in an adult hockey league by next winter. Doable?

Do the public skates as much as you can, start out just skating before wanting to go all out with gear, stick, and pucks.

As others said, stopping will be one of the first major hurdles, then skating backwards and crossovers (right over left/left over right). Transitions will come naturally once you learn how to stop and skate backwards.

Learn how to fall, don't be afraid especially with all that padding.

Classes will definitely accelerate your learning.

Acid08

Banned

Crappy picture I took after the anthem.

Game was kind of a mixed bag. Had no real flow, lots of chippy shit and bad passes. It was like, 5 minutes of defensive hockey, one goalie makes a great save, five more minutes of defensive hockey, other goalie makes a great save etc. The Bruins goal came off a bad bounce on a blocked shot. Shit happens, onto the next one.

Fair amount of Bruins fans there. A lot of them bought tickets in the same section to sit near each other I guess. Must have been a group or something.

I woke up and checked the box score this morning and saw 3-1 and figured we lost, had to do a double take and saw we were the one's with 3 goals!!! WE WON A GAME!!! Sounds like Tatar is a complete stud, kid has just been getting better and better, even a day after his dad died, what a player.

And Cleary scored....... Now he is going to get 30 minutes a game, great. I also see Howard is injured, well, time to see if Mrazek is the beast we think he is.

How hard is learning to skate on ice? I've done it twice in my life, but I want to learn. My goal is to be adequate enough to play in an adult hockey league by next winter. Doable?

Very doable, just takes plenty of practice, some people are naturals when it comes to skating and others aren't. Open skate is your friend for this, go to as many as you can but make sure you get yourself your own pair of skates and look after them. You don't need to get a $400 dollar pair to start with, there are plenty of skates that are cheaper that will work. It all depends on the feel and how they are on your feet. For example, I always go with Bauers since my feet are narrower, my dad loves CCM's because his feet are wider. If you already have a decent pair of skates then you can ignore this.

As a few have said in here, full gear or at least a basic set of gear (ex: shin pads, elbow pads, helmet) may be the way to go to learn to skate. You will fall down plenty of times, but you will learn from each one. Most importantly get out there and have fun with it, skating is a great exercise since it works a lot of your body, but it is also a blast to do.

Also check the rinks around you to see if any offer stick and puck. Stick and puck is basically a giant practice where anyone can go out and just shoot the puck around without scrimmaging. Not as many rinks have it and some only offer it to kids 12 and under. But it is another great tool to use to actually learn the basic fundamentals (that or an Adult Learn-to-Play is highly recommended once you have your skating fundamentals down). Hopefully that helps, keep us updated on your progress and we can see what we can do to help since I know a few people here including myself have played hockey for quite a long time.

Edit:
ibaxOKOLA5U1Ih.gif

*tear

Silexx

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 5m

TSN has learned Claude Noel has been relieved of his duties as head coach of the Winnipeg Jets. Assistant, Perry Pearn also let go. #TSN

Annnnd he's gone...

O/U on how many Avs fans appear tomorrow if San Diego beats the Broncos?
I wouldn't get my hopes up about new fans on GAF but plenty will switch in Denver. I'm kinda expecting some avs fans already posting to show up if we're in the playoffs. There are people just roaming the boards with duchene avatars who don't post in here.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
@jonasTSN1050: Several Leafs miss today's morning skate with flu/food poisoning, but expected to play tonight.

is this the leafs way of attempting to blame their performance on illness?

I wouldn't get my hopes up about new fans on GAF but plenty will switch in Denver. I'm kinda expecting some avs fans already posting to show up if we're in the playoffs. There are people just roaming the boards with duchene avatars who don't post in here.

This is my thoughts as well, new people won't show up on Gaf until the playoffs. That seems to be the case with all the teams though, lots of people posted in the playoff thread that don't regularly post here.

Curufinwe

Downie a healthy scratch tonight. Berube said he isn't happy with his intensity level lately.

He has been playing poorly but I thought it was cause he was playing hurt.

I doubt they resign him. Their limited cap space is too valuable and Laughton ir Raffl should be able to take his third line wing spot next year.

Giggzy

Thanks for the advice. I wore Bauer rollerblades as a youth and loved them so maybe I should check out a pair of those. $100 a good starting budget for a beginner pair? Or should I go a little higher?

The Ducks public rink just started an 8 week training course two weeks ago so I just missed out on that with my latest epiphany. The next one starts in march so that's when I plan on starting classes. I'm going to start with the Beginner course and depending how decent I am after 8 weeks they offer a beginner course tailored directly towards hockey skating and fundamentals that I'd love to do. Until March, I'll go buy a pair of skates and I'll try to get to open public sessions at least twice a week and start learning on my own.

What type of maintenance do you do on skates? How often do you sharpen the blade? Is there a tool to buy that you can do it at home, or does it require being taken to a shop? I always hear the commentators talk about skaters "losing an edge", but I've never skated so I'm not exactly sure what that entails. I always see them just go back to the bench and fix their blade.

Anywho, thanks to all for the advice given. I'll keep everyone updated with my progress etc..

Thanks for the advice. I wore Bauer rollerblades as a youth and loved them so maybe I should check out a pair of those. $100 a good starting budget for a beginner pair? Or should I go a little higher?

The Ducks public rink just started an 8 week training course two weeks ago so I just missed out on that with my latest epiphany. The next one starts in march so that's when I plan on starting classes. I'm going to start with the Beginner course and depending how decent I am after 8 weeks they offer a beginner course tailored directly towards hockey skating and fundamentals that I'd love to do. Until March, I'll go buy a pair of skates and I'll try to get to open public sessions at least twice a week and start learning on my own.

What type of maintenance do you do on skates? How often do you sharpen the blade? Is there a tool to buy that you can do it at home, or does it require being taken to a shop? I always hear the commentators talk about skaters "losing an edge", but I've never skated so I'm not exactly sure what that entails. I always see them just go back to the bench and fix their blade.

Anywho, thanks to all for the advice given. I'll keep everyone updated with my progress etc..

If you look at Bauer, they have some Bauer Vapor X40 (Senior) which start at $100, those should be fine to get you going or pay a little more to get the Bauer Vapor X50 or X60's (I don't think you need to spend more than 200 for just starting off), however you won't know what you want until you go into a pro shop and start trying them on with one of the employees helping you. I've had my Bauer Vapors XXii forever and they still are holding up strong.

In terms of maintenance on sharpening, it can all depend. You could go a few weeks, or a few months until you need to sharpen them. For me, I try to go every month or two, but my blades seem to hold up pretty well. Since you are starting out, just take them to get the sharpened, preferably some place that has more experience than your typical kid who works at an ice rink (but some of those kids are pretty good, all depends). With me, I use a Re-Edger tool to help my edges when they start to get dull. This does NOT replace sharpening, they just help to keep your edges straight since skating on them will start to round the edges and also can extend the amount of time you go without sharpening. However, make sure you read up on using it if you use one, using slight pressure with no side to side movement as you move it down the blade is how is should be done. But look online for some tips or even the packaging should have instructions.

Take it to a shop to have them re-sharpen. You'll find out over time how often you'll like to sharpen your skates. In the beginning you might find that a duller edge will help you learn to stop, but as you get better you might find that a sharp skate will help you skate harder/faster/more control and edge work.

Start out with the standard 1/2" cut when you get them sharpened.

Also make sure you spend a lot of time fitting a skate boot to your feet. Everyone's feet are different, every skate fits different, etc. Have the shop you're buying it from heat mold it to your feet as well. You want the skate to feel as comfortable as you can.

Socreges

Banned
?

Everyone was laughing about the Jets hiring him, but he seems like a good guy on TSN. Now it doesn't say anything about his coaching ability, but I can see why he was hired.
I guess I'd just strongly disagree with you. Always thought he seemed like he didn't want to be there. Wasn't particularly funny and not at all likable.

*shrugs*

Top Bottom