• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

Cake Boss

Banned
Cowen really that disliked by Sens fans? Cowen + Spezza for Bozak and Kadri

We dont need more centers, we are set for the next 10 years with Turris, Zibby, Smith.

Need wingers and dman, especially dman. We have a forward playing defense, 2 dumbasses that like to score on their own net, a 19 year old kid and Methot.

Samyy

We dont need more centers, we are set for the next 10 years with Turris, Zibby, Smith.

Need wingers and dman, especially dman. We have a forward playing defense, 2 dumbasses that like to score on their own net, a 19 year old kid and Methot.

Clarkson and Franson for Spezza!

Curufinwe

From the Flyers stats guru on HFB.

Since being put together on December the 12th vs Montreal the Legion of Dumb have put up:

Simmonds: 17GP, 11G, 9A, 20P

Hartnell: 17GP, 5G, 10A, 15P

Schenn: 17GP, 6G, 7A, 13P

Combined: 51GP, 22G, 26A, 48P

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Habs finally call up some help from Hamilton, Beaulieu and Nattinen.

OMG, maybe we won't have to watch Bouillon or Murray anymore.

I wonder if Nattinen has increased his footspeed at all, he was so slow before. I'd rather see Dumont up, but I can't complain too much right now.

Time to trade one of:

- Edler
- Bieksa
- Hamhuis
- Garrison

They all have NTC's. But I wouldn't part with Hamhuis; he's a bargain with his contract and is the Canucks' best D-man. Bieksa has leadership and grit supposedly, but I wouldn't miss him if he was shipped out. Garrison is so inconsistent this year and does nothing for the power play. Edler still has some upside so he'd have the most trade value of the four. The Canucks' best trade asset is Tanev (young, cheap, tons of upside) but he's also their best young player. I wouldn't trade him unless a team vastly overpaid.

But defence isn't the problem (though it would be nice if they could score more). The forwards are just not cutting it. The Sedins have been mediocre ever since they signed their new contracts. Yes they're great people and players and deserve the money after being vastly underpaid the last 5 years, but 4 more years at $7M each at their current production is not going to win a Cup. Daniel seems to have lost his goal-scoring touch. Henrik is still a great playmaker but he keeps getting banged up. Unfortunately the Canucks are much worse if he's not playing, so he keeps suiting up. (I didn't watch the final minutes of last night's game but apparently their 6-on-4 did nothing, probably because Henrik was in the dressing room.)

The lack of forward depth is obvious to anyone, though has anyone seen Kesler? His most notable moment of the past few weeks has been beating up Dustin Brown. I hope he's not saving himself for the Olympics? We may laugh at Weise, Sestito, and Dalpe getting power play/top-6 minutes, but it's not like Torts has any other options. Hansen and Higgins are fringe 2nd-liners at best. Santorelli and Richardson, though good signings, can only get you so far. Maybe Burrows will fix things, but it's hard to get excited for a player with 0 goals this year (and will be a step behind having missed so many games).

Do you think Gillis can flip Lack for a first-round pick? He's been solid in relief of Luongo and it's not like the farm is overflowing with game-breaking talent.

I can see why Gillis dumped AV for Torts though; AV wasn't doing badly but Gillis wanted Torts to squeeze whatever's left out of this aging core before he blows it up. 49 games in, this is it: a fringe playoff team with a solid back end and little offensive capability, which in hindsight isn't that different from the post-2011 team under AV.

Samyy

I can see why Gillis dumped AV for Torts though; AV wasn't doing badly but Gillis wanted Torts to squeeze whatever's left out of this aging core before he blows it up. 49 games in, this is it: a fringe playoff team with a solid back end and little offensive capability, which in hindsight isn't that different from the post-2011 team under AV.

I think they are probably going to try retooling their forwards before the decide for a full on blow-up rebuild, at least not until the Sedin contracts are done.

Curufinwe

Is Weirioch available?

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
OMG, maybe we won't have to watch Bouillon or Murray anymore.

I wonder if Nattinen has increased his footspeed at all, he was so slow before. I'd rather see Dumont up, but I can't complain too much right now.

Haha, you wish. Calling it now. Emelin will be scratched.

Lone, I listed those guys because there's little else on the Canucks roster that could net any immediate value in a trade.

And Canucks-Gaf, is Gillis really the guy you want overseeing a remix, a refit, a rejiggle?

zedge

Apparently there was a fair sized brawl in the stands last night at the Flames/Jets game. :/

Jets fans no doubt.. ;)

I know a few here who never watched hockey before and now sport their shiney new jerseys and act like they know everything about hockey..ugh. One didn't even know the Thrashers were an NHL team. I had no response..

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Lupul complaining to media that he hasn't been played on LW

I mean... Wtf Carlyle... He's a damned left winger... No wonder his scoring has dried up

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently there was a fair sized brawl in the stands last night at the Flames/Jets game. :/

Jets fans no doubt.. ;)

I know a few here who never watched hockey before and now sport their shiney new jerseys and act like they know everything about hockey..ugh. One didn't even know the Thrashers were an NHL team. I had no response..

lol, almost went to that game. I imagine the fight was in the nose bleeds?

I mean... Wtf Carlyle... He's a damned left winger... No wonder his scoring has dried up

It's probably wishful thinking, but I feel that Nonis' comments yesterday about how he thinks the roster is good enough was something of a warning shot to Carlyle.

Cactus

Banned

If Carlyle is here long term, I think we'll see Lupul/Gardiner/Kadri all traded for players with "grit and heart." It's sickening how he picks his favourites and alienates everybody else.

I'm still really bitter about Grabovski too. Also, how many goals does MacArthur have already? Probably more than Clarkson will score by 2015.

gaming_noob

Someone on HFBoards says Damien Cox says Reimer (presumably in a package) for Yakupov in the summer. Reimer is a RFA at the end of the year.

Don't think the Leafs need another winger unless they're unloading one of the top 6.

Cactus

Banned
Someone on HFBoards says Damien Cox says Reimer (presumably in a package) for Yakupov in the summer. Reimer is a RFA at the end of the year.

Don't think the Leafs need another winger unless they're unloading one of the top 6.

Yakupov? There's no way that trade is made while Randy is coach. He would play him three minutes a game with Colton Orr on the fourth line.

fallout

Jets fans no doubt.. ;)

Doesn't surprise me, sadly. Some of the shit I hear at Jets games is mindboggingly stupid. One of the worst things I've encountered are Jets fans giving shit to old Thrashers fans. Like, you think we'd be one of the most understanding and considerate groups who understand what losing a team is like.

As a collective, I think the Jets fan base is actually pretty great. They're enthusiastic and loud. Individually, there are a lot of douchebags.

Alucard

Banned
You know what's great about Olli Maatta? Everything.

Also, here's something random from Wrassle-GAF. Cheers.
kCjlw1S.gif

Samyy

Actually we are really thin at RW imo, but I'd rather upgrade C then wing right now.

Heretic

Steen is back to save us from an otherwise sure thrashing from the mighty Ducks.

We pulled a back to back win against the Hawks then Blues once and I don't think we'll pull it off again.

What kind of schedule is that anyways!? Blackhawks and Blues in back to back nights is bad enough but having to do it twice!?

Top Bottom