• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

So I left the house a little after 11am to get to the Stadium. I rechecked Google Maps to see the updated duration of the route I was taken. An estimated 40 min. trip went up to an estimated 90 min trip. I thought to myself that wouldn't be so bad since I might get to Ann Arbor before the game began. I was so wrong. With the traffic and weather, it took over 2 hours to finally get to Ann Arbor. And I was nowhere close to the stadium. I eventually had to listen to the first period on the radio while still getting close to the venue. And the parking...holy shit the parking. Parking was closed off at the stadium by the time I got there. There were parked cars practically everywhere (in driveways, store parking lots). There was a 7/11 letting people who were attending the game park in their store parking lot (as long as they paid for it). I even saw a sign somewhere else that permitted parking...as long as you coughed up $60 (I wish I was kidding). Finding a parking space was a bitch. Got to a public parking garage that supposedly had spots left but they were either all taken or people did some shitty parking. Eventually settled for a small spot across the parking garage. The first period was done by the time I got out of my car.

And then came the walking. I initially went the wrong way when going to the stadium (opposite direction) and had to walk back the right direction. I really made no real effort in getting there as fast as I could. It was cold and I was already in a foul mood. Making my way to the stadium, I saw a bunch of people walking in the opposite directions carrying seat warmers from the game. I guess they thought it was too cold. I wouldn't blame them. When I finally got to the stadium and too my seat, the game was already at the 2nd Intermission. So in essence, I paid $100+ to attend a game I wasn't even present at 2/3rds of the way through. And I was barely paying any real attention to the 3rd period. I was too busy standing up like the other spectators, my legs were shivering and I was trying my best to keep my hands from freezing (guess I missed the stand where they were selling hand warmers). What a fucking load of bullshit. At least there was OT and a shootout but I'll never do something like this again. I highly doubt trying to attend previous Winter Classics were as ridiculous as this.

And as promised, here's an album of pics I took:
http://imgur.com/a/bN1cB#

I had the same issue you did, I left at 11 am but didn't get to the stadium until right after the first period ended. I blamed myself foe not leaving earlier and I also, under guidance from someone at the airport who was going to the game, got a pre paid parking pass at a garage a mile away.

When I got to the stadium it was still the first intermission so there was bottlenecking everywhere, it took a good 10 mins to get to my seat. Right when I sat down the second period had just started. I really had to pee but I told myself I wasn't leaving the seat til the game was over.

Yes getting there was a nightmare and so was leaving, but the actual game itself and the atmosphere made me happy that I went.

I remember seeing some picture of Acid before and what was surprising me wasnt his non-blackiness but rather the huge grin he always have on his face, wtf, complete opposite of what he is supposed to do. Atleast Russia is acting like bitches when winning, everything as usual there.

Parch

Unfortunate that the experience wasn't good for some, but isn't it the same for every football game played there? Getting 105,000 people to and from one spot is just something that has to be dealt with.

Cake Boss

Banned
Bc-9iRiIgAAnQvj.jpg

Lol USA.

Boogie

Unfortunate that the experience wasn't good for some, but isn't it the same for every football game played there? Getting 105,000 people to and from one spot is just something that has to be dealt with.

I don't know if what I experienced is the same for their football games, but I doubt it.

I've never been to a football games, but I've been to many large crowd events. Lots of hockey games, UFC events (including the 55,000 people at the Skydome), and events such as monster truck rallies, and other conventions that were held at football stadiums. And I have never experienced a crowd situation like that before. It wasn't a "oh well, it sure is packed here and we're barely moving. We'll just be patient and we'll get through eventually" crowd. No. On the concourse in that intermission it was a "Oh my God there are thousands of people packed shoulder-to-shoulder unable to take a single step for over ten minutes and every time a drunken asshole tries to push and force his way through it creates a ripple effect of pressure and pushing like a tidal wave that cannot be countered or braced for and I really think we're going to get seriously injured here."

When the thing finally broke through, the area was swarmed by a bunch of local police, who immediately began telling all of the merchandise booths to close up for safety reasons. So no, I don't think this was normal crowding.

But the game itself was great! LOL

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just to chip in on Bobby Ryan and Keith Yandle's exclusion.... The American team's management group are dumbasses.

Bobby Ryan is easily the Sens best player this season IMO, it just shows me that the American management doesn't watch games and/or they're letting their grudges decide the team.

Also, Howard over Schneider and Bishop is a joke.

Parch

SkyDome in Toronto and Commonwealth in Edmonton rely a lot on public transit. Park and Ride is absolutely essential for huge crowds.

Curufinwe

I feel like they picked Howard just because he could be interviewed about making the Olympic team right after the game yesterday.

In that ESPN article they keep saying they want the three best goalies, but he is not one of them this season.

Var

I feel like they picked Howard just because he could be interviewed about making the Olympic team right after the game yesterday.

In that ESPN article they keep saying they want the three best goalies, but he is not one of them this season.

Agreed. It should have been Bishop.

Silexx

Shawn McKenzie ‏@ShawnMcKenzieSN 13m

Ryan also said that the Burke's comments about him were "gutless"

Shawn McKenzie ‏@ShawnMcKenzieSN 9m

When Ryan said it was gutless he wasn't angry looking for a chance to take a shot at Burke. Seemed genuinely upset.

Babby sad ....

Samyy

I wonder what the backlash will be like if Subban doesn't make the team...
Should be interesting.

I can see no reason for him not to be on the team.

Var

Instead of just real pic January, NHL-Gaf should do cake bossed avatar January. Take it up a notch.

Heretic

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Edit:
Nooooooooooo! I can't find my Robert Smith one... It might be gone... FOREVER! :'(

If Bobby Ryan isn't there for a lack of intensity then why on Earth did they pick Jimmy Howard who is playing badly and has the intensity of mild salsa?

Top Bottom