• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

TUSR

Banned
Had an engineering friend of walk me through it. We've established that I can't picture things in my head. And 8 hours isn't enough time to change the way I think.

are you doing fucking Calc 2 already or something?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Sigh. Should probably look for a math free program.

Just try and pass the course and then forget about it. I'm in science and I barely ever use it.

Heck I've statistics more than anything I learned in Calc.

4ZlvKPu.jpg

The thought of having a healthy top 6 again is.. I kinda don't want Parenteau back in the lineup if he's going to remain invisible. Tangs.. I dunno, we'll see. Things are going alright at the moment.

ShaneB

I don't think I would have survived the years of IT jobs without an 82 game season. Sure, it makes the individual games more interesting when every game matters more, but the NHL is a gauntlet.

Not to mention that an NFL game is roughly 11 minutes of action padded by 2-3 hours of commercials and 1-2 hours of listening to poor commentary waiting on the snap. That isn't enough to scratch the itch on a weekly basis.

Nothing out there beats the pacing of hockey.

Valid points, and nothing I can say would be to disagree with you. I've just been getting tired of the 82 game season when it feels like I tend to only start paying more attention when the playoff races really become clearer.

As for the pacing issue, yeah, they're different sports. I was explaining to Smiley, it's best to look at Football as a turn-based game. Each side picks a play, and they run that play and see what happens. The downtime is filled with analysis of each play, replays, speculation of what to run next, etc etc etc. Whereas Hockey yeah, it's fast paced and quick and I've always loved it, but Football now appeals to that other side of me too.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I dunno, it's got (an incredible) Don Quick and CrazedArabMan bitching about Cleary without any provocation. Seems pretty much like an NHL thread to me!

Really? *Runs to thread*

Quick

Banned
Mike Johnson on Erat spearing Boyle in the junk: getting the penalty is the only way to get the ref to blow the whistle. lol

Osorio

It's funny that the perception of hockey dying or becoming a minor sport probably comes from sports fans who believe that ESPN is the sports world.

ESPN hardly ever covers the business side of things, so they'd never mention that hockey's ratings and revenues have been going in an upward trajectory for years now.

Maybe that makes NHL an "alternative" sport in the US. I know that at my job, being a fan of MLS and NHL, I'm never involved in any of the water cooler conversations except with the two Rangers fans that we talk shit with.

LevelNth

Banned
The Seattle Seahawks are the Ottawa Senators of the NFL.

The reactions last night of the vast majority of posters in the NFL thread to Sherman's antics also confirmed why I stopped posting in there. Pathetic.

Var

I used to love watching the NFL when I was growing up. For some reason I stopped around the time I graduated high school and have never really gone back to watching it. I love watching college football though.

Curufinwe

I was a much bigger NFL fan when I lived in NZ and only got to watch a couple of games a week. After I moved here and could watch it all weekend long I found I didn't really want to. And I never found a team I liked enough to become a fan. So now I only pay attention once they get deep in the playoffs.

The Seattle Seahawks are the Ottawa Senators of the NFL.

You might have to explain this one.

Acid08

Banned
Just can't do football. It doesn't get interesting to me until the last 5 minutes of the game when they're actually hustling. Same with baseball and basketball, just can't get into them. Nothing even approaches the level of excitement I feel watching hockey.

Also, over under that the Flames start their fourth line again tonight? Would love to see that and have TMac put Jumbo's line out.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Anything is better than Basketball. Sucks when you're waiting for a game to end so you can watch something else, but the last 2 minutes takes 20 minutes to finish.

It's funny that the perception of hockey dying or becoming a minor sport probably comes from sports fans who believe that ESPN is the sports world.

ESPN hardly ever covers the business side of things, so they'd never mention that hockey's ratings and revenues have been going in an upward trajectory for years now.

Maybe that makes NHL an "alternative" sport in the US. I know that at my job, being a fan of MLS and NHL, I'm never involved in any of the water cooler conversations except with the two Rangers fans that we talk shit with.

ESPN is a business too. ESPN wouldn't give more coverage to a league that they don't have the license to. They'll give it a mention here and there but nothing on NBA or MLB level. If you noticed when ESPN had the NHL license, they were airing hockey games every wednesday and thursday, ABC games, etc. Apparently they wanted the NHL license but Bettman renewed it with NBC.

lol handegg. Some guy claims he's the best and everyone goes crazy. They must have a lot of time to get their panties in a bunch during all those commercials and stoppages.

If the Leafs play well and win in regulation tonight, I'm not going to grouse about Carlyle for the rest of the week.

The downtime is filled with analysis of each play, replays, speculation of what to run next, etc etc etc.

This is one of the reasons why I can't be bothered with handegg anymore (other reasons being the massive corruption in the sport from grass-roots to pro, the PED/painkiller drug abuse, the brain damage every player suffers).

With all the abuse football players take, I'm surprised they get through most plays unscathed. Seems really easy to get injured badly.

The worst part is touchdown, celebrate, convert, commercial, kickoff, commercial. Also touchbacks are so boring. Run it out every time.

Giggzy

I didn't even bother with that thread haha.

I'm learning not to even bother posting on the gaming side. It's such a hyperbolic field of shit over there. Any opinion not in line with the hive gets jumped on immediately and you're almost forced to stop posting or get into an argument that a ten year old would have.

With all the abuse football players take, I'm surprised they get through most plays unscathed. Seems really easy to get injured badly.

Most of these guys are blasted with serious painkillers before, during and after games, so the injuries they do suffer aren't felt until days later. There's a journo who I think is attached to ESPN that's trying to bring attention to this practice.

I like the NFL, but it's so difficult to get Rams games out of market I have a hard time caring. CFB and the NFL are definitely a solid #2 to Hockey.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I was a much bigger NFL fan when I lived in NZ and only got to watch a couple of games a week. After I moved here and could watch it all weekend long I found I didn't really want to. And I never found a team I liked enough to become a fan. So now I only pay attention once they get deep in the playoffs.

Can't go wrong with the Broncos, they wear orange. :p

(They've been my team forever)

And I'm stuck at work too, but it's the Islanders, so it's no big thing.

Top Bottom