• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

calder

This happens every Olympics.

Yeah, obviously being Russia there's a bit more overt threat but you didn't have to go far to find media types talking about the Athens games (or Beijing, or even Torino) like it was going to be apocalyptic and how they wouldn't send their worst journalistic enemy over to dodge car bombs.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Such a weird trade. Dat super low MDZ trade value.

Slats almost certainly got fleeced on this one. DZ is very likely to take off with a change of scenery (though this was never going to happen with the Rangers), so Nashville probably made out like bandits here.

Kevin Klein was boss in the Detroit series.

il4whAJw3bMc0.gif

Socreges

Banned
Klein is a stay at home guy while MDZ is less reliable? MDZ is supposed to put up points to offset that, but doesn't?

Just trying to understand how this trade works for the Rangers because it seems awful.

Curufinwe

Klein is supposed to be solid defensively. He's -11 but Nashville can't score at ES, so all their main defensemen are minus players.

I think NY got a solid middle pairing guy for the next five years at a cheap cap hit. Now they only need to sign three more D and 8 forwards (assuming they buy out Richards) to have 20 players under contract for next season.

The Rags get a cost controlled rock. I'm assuming it's so they can throw some money at Girardi.

Girardi hitting the open market would've been a nice possibility for the Flyers. Oh well.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Does this mean the Rangers have to keep Girardi now?

The Rangers have been telling teams for a few weeks now that Girardi is not for sale and that they plan to sign him. Of course, that could just be a ruse to get someone to pony up a higher price for him than they otherwise would have, but that's probably not the case.

I get a bad feeling about these Olympics and that was before the whole black widow thing even.

The USA managed to hold two successful and virtually safe Olympics a year after major terrorist attacks (OKC and 9/11). But yea, Russia's problem with separatist jihadis makes me much more nervous than hill billy militias and suicide pilots did in 1996 and 2002.

# GM Doug Armstrong: "I don't think you can react as management on a game-to-game basis. You win a few and people think the...(1/3)
Stanley Cup is just a matter of getting to that point in the season, it's going to happen. You lose a few and people react that you're (2/3)
never going to win. You have to find balance & our balance is putting a good game on the ice day after day. We have to get back to it" (3/3)

We'll be rolling Halak / Elliott in (and immediately out of) the playoffs.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Klein is right handed and I guess AV wanted one.

Yeah, he did. What the Rangers have been saying they wanted all along was a righty top four defenseman.

Klein will be in the lineup tomorrow against the Blues paired with John Moore, who will move back to the left side now that Del Zotto is gone.

Heretic

Yeah, he did. What the Rangers have been saying they wanted all along was a righty top four defenseman.

Klein will be in the lineup tomorrow against the Blues paired with John Moore, who will move back to the left side now that Del Zotto is gone.

Once the Ducks nab Girardi, that slot won't need to be filled.

I don't even want to guess the score for tonight. Thankfully my friend doesn't work so we'll be continuing our play through of Dead Rising 3 instead.

20-0hawks.jpg

Oh, and 20
e-peen
dollars to whoever can guess which Red Wings gets injured this game.

Become a Wings fan, there is plenty of negativity to go around.

I wish I knew where to find the "good luck, will score 7 goals" picture.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Sather says the plan is to sign "all" pending UFAs before the end of the season.

Rangers pending UFAs:
Ryan Callahan
Dan Girardi
Anton Stralman
Brian Boyle
Benoit Pouliot
Dominic Moore
Daniel Carcillo
David LeNeveu (this one doesn't really count)

We'll see...

I didn't realize you were going to the outdoor Ducks game Dastardly, that's sick. Make sure you take some pictures to post, I'm really curious to see how it turns out.

Oh god no, I ain't gonna be there man. If it was an actual winter classic then I would've flown up straight for it though. I am, however, meeting up with some other Melbourne Ducks fans and watching it at a pub though.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Klein is a solid defenceman from what I remember, a lot of comparisons to Gorges previously, but he could actually handle the puck.

Roy flat out told Parenteau that he was going to have to earn his spot on a top line back. Given that we sucked shit last night who knows if he'll stick to his guns, but I hope he does. I'm so sick of good players being unproductive because they're lazy. Sooo fucking sick of it.
I actually think Parenteau wasn't too bad last night considering he missed 3 weeks. He actually looked better than when he went down.

The USA managed to hold two successful and virtually safe Olympics a year after major terrorist attacks (OKC and 9/11). But yea, Russia's problem with separatist jihadis makes me much more nervous than hill billy militias and suicide pilots did in 1996 and 2002.

Yeah, it didn't really ever worry me in the USA/Canada hosted years as this continent is a bit more isolated. I feel like there's easier ways into Russia.

Vman

I actually think Parenteau wasn't too bad last night considering he missed 3 weeks. He actually looked better than when he went down.

Yeah, it didn't really ever worry me in the USA/Canada hosted years as this continent is a bit more isolated. I feel like there's easier ways into Russia.

And bomb's are already going off and terrorists are in the city. You never heard about this stuff in Vancouver or on this level.

RC

Banned
And bomb's are already going off and terrorists are in the city. You never heard about this stuff in Vancouver or on this level.

We had "anarchist's" breaking store windows a few days before the games. But that was about it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Sather tried to ship Del Zotto off to the Avs, but the Avs didn't bite on the price, which was a first round pick.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Emelin and Diaz scratched for tonights game.
Fuck Therrien. What a useless bag of shit.

Do you think Montreal will resign Diaz? We could use a guy like him.
I would be pretty surprised if he isn't included in a trade package before or at the deadline, he has no place on this team anymore.

Oh god no, I ain't gonna be there man. If it was an actual winter classic then I would've flown up straight for it though. I am, however, meeting up with some other Melbourne Ducks fans and watching it at a pub though.
Gotchya, I was surprised you flew all the way here for it :lol

The writing is already on the wall that this is going to be a terrible Olympics.

• Putin and the militant homophobia brigade.
  • It's fucking Russia. lol.
  • Terrorist threats able to execute with a less margin of error than anywhere in the Commonwealth.
  • Sochi is already way over budget.
  • They're probably going to drug Shaun White so he can't do another amazing halfpipe run like Vancouver 2010 (
    jk
    ).
  • Horror stories coming out of facilities and athlete camps.
  • Terrible Nike Jerseys.
  • No Bobby Ryan.
  • Hell, question marks on every teams roster except for Sweden and Germany.

Top Bottom