• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

fallout

Jets ... beat the ... Hawks? I've been really cautious about my expectations in the post-Noel world, but HOLY SHIT THE JETS BEAT THE HAWKS!

I'm usually in 316. I prefer the crowds in the upper levels to the lower ones, as they are more full of energy/alcohol.
Yeah, I've got seats in 304 and I totally agree.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Habs goals differential is worst then the year we had the 3rd overall pick. Lets keep Therrien though, I'm sure he's got a few more tricks in his bag.

I'm all for shitting on a guy that hangs his hat on win totals playing a trap over real success like beating your rivaling contemporaries in the post season but Giguere over Brodeur? dstrdl pls.

edit: nvm

I'm all for shitting on a guy that hangs his hat on win totals playing a trap over real success like beating your rivaling contemporaries in the post season but Giguere over Brodeur? dstrdl pls.

I mean it's pretty much confirmed that Brodeur is one of the greatest tenders of all time. And he's accomplished a lot more in both the recent active NHL seasons as well as the early days of butterfly/hybrid. A true pioneer of goaltending with an amazingly long list of contributions he's made. He took goaltending to a new level.

But Terry Sawchuk is the greatest of all time.

And Giguere, while working with fantastic teams and also contributing to modern goaltending in tremendously huge ways, has shown that he can't overcome mental adversity. His work ethic however is completely unmatched. He works for everything and never rests in his laurels.

Who he is as a goaltender gives him more value in my eyes than someone who may have the resumè and the accolades but doesn't have the resolve, work ethic and teamwork/communication of Giguere.

And Giguere never married his sister in law sooo

Giguere played great for us at the start of the season and then started sucking ass. His response to sucking ass was "well, I don't think the guys in front of me were hungry enough" whereas we lost because he kept letting softies in. Roy even called him on it to the press. He's solid usually but I don't think I'd say his character is without flaw.

kingslunk

Stars owner said he doesn't care about making the playoffs this year because he knows they're going to be a constant playoff contender in the years to come.

Nah he realizes it's a process.

Also one day there will be a music award show that gives awards to music that's actually good.

In our nightmare division anything short of "we're actively looking to improve right now" is going to get you no where. I mean, look at the two teams below you even. They're going to improve also, Winnipeg has already started playing better lately. It's going to be a fucking battle every year that I hope our guys are ready for. We need to get better on defense if we stand a chance of lasting long.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Kendrick Lamar and Imagine Dragons?

I'm okay with this.

0UBgW.gif

Smiley90

Best part of the show. Too bad Kendrick got robbed by the first mainstream rapper in years to actually have something to say.

I'm not sure if you're criticizing or praising Macklemore here. Or is that sarcasm because that's what people say? I'm confused.

Imagine Dragons? It some kind of new age feelgoodary hipster band?

Yeah, basically. I like them. People don't like them. I don't care.

Red_Man

I fucking hate Macklemore's music (A LOT) but I respect the message. As far as rapping ability goes though he is goddamn terrible.
Exactly. His message is great, but he's not in the same stratosphere as Kendrick or other rappers.

Smiley90

What's his message? That a white boy from Seattle shouldn't rap?

He's very openly pro-gay-acceptance, which is great among the message of most other rappers.

I'm assuming that's why he got the Grammy, too. I'm okay with that. He won't win another. (I think. Hope. Who knows, the grammies are shit.)

What's his message? That a white boy from Seattle shouldn't rap?

That should be the secondary takeaway from what he puts out, yes. The primary takeaway is "stop being shitty to eachother" and things of that nature.

edit: The more I think about it the more I see him as a toothless de la Rocha from the burbs. With little musical talent.

Acid08

Banned
I don't care that people like Macklemore. I do care when people try to put him on a pedestal saying that he's saving hip hop and shit. Kendrick also had a lot of shit to say on his album but he doesn't do it as plainly as Macklemore does. His album requires more effort on the part of the listener to understand.

Also just rubs me the wrong way that all of a sudden people want to say a white guy is saving a predominantly black genre.

I don't care that people like Macklemore. I do care when people try to put him on a pedestal saying that he's saving hip hop and shit. Kendrick also had a lot of shit to say on his album but he doesn't do it as plainly as Macklemore does. His album requires more effort on the part of the listener to understand.

Also just rubs me the wrong way that all of a sudden people want to say a white guy is saving a predominantly black genre.

It's all in the way that other people talk about him, he seems like a genuine enough act but yeah you nailed it.

Smiley90

You do understand that that means that the Grammy committee would have to actually put some effort into their selections, right?

The Grammies are about as valuable as the Spike Videogame awards.

Not at all.

Socreges

Banned
At least Macklemore agrees with us:

cd88e786871a11e39972121de7c604a9_8.jpg
See, I like Macklemore. I like his music, too. But he isn't all that talented, as people have said. The people that produce his music, however, are.

People only take the Grammys seriously because it's the biggest music awards show. There's no authority or history of respectable decisions (as subjective as these things are). But everyone pays attention to them and then is shocked/disappointed with the results.

Just stop caring.

Red_Man

I'm not surprised, and I don't expect much out of the Grammys, but it doesn't make it less frustrating when a guy like Macklemore beats out such a great talent like Kendrick. I was surprised they even gave Daft Punk AOTY.

Top Bottom