• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I was creeping the Toronto thread Zeer0id, and saw your post about Symposium. I have one near my place that a bunch of my friends and myself go to all the time. Really good food, good drinks, and I think on Tuesday they have deals on their cakes which are great too.

Socreges

Banned
I'm not surprised, and I don't expect much out of the Grammys, but it doesn't make it less frustrating when a guy like Macklemore beats out such a great talent like Kendrick. I was surprised they even gave Daft Punk AOTY.
It should, though. It really should. The voting is done by experienced people in the industry. That doesn't mean they necessarily know what good music is. It just means they know what successful music is.

Socreges

Banned
Shocking to me that the Canucks are just 1 point behind the Kings. Apparently they've lost pretty much every game that hasn't been against the Canucks for the last month!

Beauty win by the Jets! I'm thrilled that they were finally able to take down the Blackhawks. It's been a long time coming!
FrySupsicious.gif

Shocking to me that the Canucks are just 1 point behind the Kings. Apparently they've lost pretty much every game that hasn't been against the Canucks for the last month!

There is never a time I won't ever waste an opportunity to say this while it's amazingly appropriate...

The Kings fucking suck.

Red_Man

Does the Kings hate mostly stem from Brown's antics? Don't really see it as an Eastern fan.

Because:
  • The majority of fans (not all, there are some very good Kings fans and just as awful Ducks fans, including me) are rude, brash and they have bad hygiene.
  • Dustin fucking Brown
  • Jonathan fucking Quick (can be taken in either negative/positive context)
  • Bailey is a fuckhead mascot
  • Stoll. Fucking Stoll.
  • Bandwagon fans are somehow even more clueless in comparison to bandwagon fans of... every single other team.
  • Their announcers are cockheads.
  • Team overall are classless, but I think that mainly stems from Dustin Browns influence.
  • Kopitars face fucking scares me.
  • Territory (why the hell should I care about that considering where I live?).

Not-so-bad-but-still-has-bad-attributes about it:
  • The Twitter is very good. It's arrogance can be annoying sometimes, but overall it's good quality.
  • Doughty is awesome for Team Canada, and hopefully will be again in Sochi.

Good things about them:
  • Richards and Carter. Good Canadian Boys. God love 'em.
  • Bringing Gretzky to LA (and for the hilarious footage of 80s Edmonton fans crying, so that it can be compared to footage from recent 2014 media) and consequently giving birth to the Ducks.
  • The Royal Half is hilarious.
  • The good Kings fans are REALLY good Kings fans.

Even though the the teams seem to play with a very high and physical presence, you can tell they don't actually like each other and love the rivalry themselves. The marketing was a big push in all of that too. It made the TV games more marketable, the local ticket sales enticing for vising team fans and for fan culture in general with the whole "freeway farceoff" brands existence.

Overall it's not even a legitimate rivalry in the eyes of the rest of the league until something spawns from the playoffs, which is why I'm aching for a playoff series and to finally see what these guys would look like when they're taking each other on with playoff intensity.

Acid08

Banned
It's 3am and I'm just listening to Big Boi songs. Jammin.

Also this is the best fucking beat Kanye ever made. I'm cool with what he's doing now but shit do I miss soulful Ye.

Also yeah, pretty much agree with what Dastardly said re: the Kings. Part of what drove my hate for them was that they were actually really good. Incredibly tough team to play against. This year it seems like they've lost a bit of a step.

My hate for Dustin Brown really drives my hate for them at this point. I hate that goofy looking fuck so much. Fucking smirking while talking about his hit on Hertl. Saying he couldn't reach out to apologize because he knows no one on the team. You won a fucking silver medal with Pavs you inbred sack of used condoms.

Red_Man

Dastardly makes them sound like the Bruins of the West. The hate is understandable in that case.

Acid08

Banned
How the hell did I gain two points in fantasy for a -2 and 5SOG but lose points when my team does really well and my goalies are winning?

I don't understand plz help me

Red_Man

How the hell did I gain two points in fantasy for a -2 and 5SOG but lose points when my team does really well and my goalies are winning?

I don't understand plz help me
Your gains / losses are relative to the gains and losses of others on the day.

gaming_noob

Eklund with another rumor about Gardiner for Gagner+. Why does Gagner keep coming up on trade talks involving the Leafs? He's undersized, injury prone and isn't even an upgrade over Bozak or Kadri!

Merguson

Banned
Eklund with another rumor about Gardiner for Gagner+. Why does Gagner keep coming up on trade talks involving the Leafs? He's undersized, injury prone and isn't even an upgrade over Bozak or Kadri!

So we can be assured of the fact that such a trade would never happen.

They can have Franson though.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Boucher just got hired to coach in Switzerland.

I wonder if he has an out clause...

Although, if he's taken a job in Switzerland, it must mean there hasn't been any contact at all with anyone in Montreal about a possible opening there.

Therrien is definitely staying the rest of the season now, or if things get really dire we'll be stuck with Lefebvre, god damnit.

Can beat the Hawks, but blow a 2 goal lead and lose in a SO to the Panthers. Makes no sense at all. Still angry about that game, it was done and they let them back in with under 5 minutes to go, and a shorty no less. The real challenge will be if they can bounce back and get a win next game, oh and they better.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
At least Macklemore agrees with us:

cd88e786871a11e39972121de7c604a9_8.jpg

"Sucks that I robbed you" might just be the grandmaster of all humble brags.

Nice to see Marty complaining about the quality of the ice and how cold it was as excuses for his all-time worst performance against the Rangers.

We only have one more game against the Devils this season, and if the Devs had any sense they'd have Schneider in goal for it, so that could very well have been Marty's final performance against the Rangers.

Osorio

"Sucks that I robbed you" might just be the grandmaster of all humble brags.

Nice to see Marty complaining about the quality of the ice and how cold it was as excuses for his all-time worst performance against the Rangers.

We only have one more game against the Devils this season, and if the Devs had any sense they'd have Schneider in goal for it, so that could very well have been Marty's final performance against the Rangers.

While I don't think he should've made excuses about the ice I still wouldn't put the blame on him. He played just fine in the other 2 meetings against the Rangers and I counted at least three 3 on 1s in that second period alone along with many other odd man rushes. The second goal was a softy but I can't justify putting the blame on Marty. The system was not in place, defensemen were caught out of position often, and stupid pinches plagued that second period. If Schneider was out there we still would've lost like 5-3.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
NBCSportsPR ‏@NBCSportsPR 1h

Game drew 5.1 rating in NY, making it highest-ever in New York market for NHL reg-season gm on NBC & tied for best NY gm ever Gm1 2012SCF

Samyy

NBCSportsPR ‏@NBCSportsPR 1h

Game drew 5.1 rating in NY, making it highest-ever in New York market for NHL reg-season gm on NBC & tied for best NY gm ever Gm1 2012SCF

Cool more outdoor games! Maybe the Leafs will get another one sometime, sad I missed the winter classic.

Merguson

Banned
Cool more outdoor games! Maybe the Leafs will get another one sometime, sad I missed the winter classic.

EVERYONE GETS A WINTER CLASSIC

YOU GET A WINTER CLASSIC

AND YOU SIR GET A WINTER CLASSIC

PHOENIX WILL HOST A WINTER CLASSIC

*crickets*

WE'LL MAKE IT HAPPEN GODDAMNIT

Samyy

EVERYONE GETS A WINTER CLASSIC

YOU GET A WINTER CLASSIC

AND YOU SIR GET A WINTER CLASSIC

PHOENIX WILL HOST A WINTER CLASSIC

*crickets*

WE'LL MAKE IT HAPPEN GODDAMNIT

Honestly it would be interesting if they would risk doing this type of thing with teams in weak markets. Theres a chance it could generate a lot of buzz and excitement around the team but on the other hand if it flops and no one shows up it would be horribly disastrous PR for the league.

Top Bottom