• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

Was reading some articles on the Olympics hockey team and they mentioned the 2006 team on the bigger ice.

The defence included 37-year-old Rob Blake, 35-year-old Adam Foote, Bryan McCabe, Wade Redden, and Robyn Regehr.

The forwards included Todd Bertuzzi, Shane Doan, Kris Draper, and Ryan Smyth.

The team scored 15 goals in 5 round-robin games; 12 came against Germany and Italy.

I hope Yzerman and co. look at that team and the World juniors' team and picks scorers over "grit".

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
According to Brooksie, Giradi would cost a team a top F prospect and top D prospect. Wonder if Bergevin is looking at that, he would really solidify our top 4 D.

Girardi being traded seems really likely, honestly. He hasn't fit in too well under AV, and I think he's going to be asking for a much higher paycheck than the Rangers are going to want to give him at the end of the year.

The window to trade Del Zotto has probably passed, at least in the sense that I don't think anybody is going to be offering anything of real value for him at this point. Probably going to either just have to suck it up and deal with having DZ on the team or change the asking price for him to something more realistic.

I pause 24/7 to grab a snack and realize I need to do dishes so I shut my xbox off and do dishes. Come back ten minutes later and turn everything back on and find out that somehow my parent's HBO account suddenly got parental controls on and I cannot watch "TV-MA" NHL 24/7.

Da fuq, dad. Text me back so I can watch my shit.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I find it very amusing that my friend who works with the Canucks organization also can't pronounce Bieksa's name and calls him Bieska.

Sanjuro

I pause 24/7 to grab a snack and realize I need to do dishes so I shut my xbox off and do dishes. Come back ten minutes later and turn everything back on and find out that somehow my parent's HBO account suddenly got parental controls on and I cannot watch "TV-MA" NHL 24/7.

Da fuq, dad. Text me back so I can watch my shit.

Sorry, son. I don't want you watching Girls: Season Three.

Ferraro is stirring up the haterade already. Says, via twitter, that '100% some will be sour' after Team Canada's roster is announced.

I take that to mean we're in for another Nagano/Turin debacle.

ZeroGravity

Ferraro is stirring up the haterade already. Says, via twitter, that '100% some will be sour' after Team Canada's roster is announced.

That's really no different from any other Team Canada roster announcement though.

Socreges

Banned

Ferraro passing off certain truths as insider info? Of course some people will be sour. You can't please everyone when plenty of great players have to be left off the roster.

Do we know when the roster will be announced tomorrow?

Samyy

Phaneuf in. How can you not have one of the highest paid Dmen in the league not on the team.

Phaneuf in as a 7th/8th wouldn't be the worst that could happen, he has been damn good this season. It's not like he would really play unless there is an injury or two.

Of course Phaneuf in over Subban would be a...debacle.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Phaneuf in as a 7th/8th wouldn't be the worst that could happen, he has been damn good this season. It's not like he would really play unless there is an injury or two.

Of course Phaneuf in over Subban would be a...debacle.

His numbers are pretty good.

Ferraro passing off certain truths as insider info? Of course some people will be sour. You can't please everyone when plenty of great players have to be left off the roster.

It's not so much the great players who will be left off, it's the shite (or currently playing like shite) players who'll be included that will sour our fine nation.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

I took what he said as meaning there will be controversy no matter what. There will be a bunch of people upset over the exclusion of someone when we have so many quality players to choose from.

Apparently McKenzie is saying Subban was never in any one of Canada's managements top six :/ lol
As dumb as that is, if Subban makes the team it was always going to be in a 7/8 spot and then work his was up like Doughty did in Vancouver.

Cake Boss

Banned
Apparently McKenzie is saying Subban was never in any one of Canada's managements top six :/ lol

inGhnyHHZgtWQ.gif

Red_Man

I don't get this unwavering hard on that management has with having 3 LH's and 3 RH's, do they really think the defining moment in a tournament will come down to which hand a guy is?

Smiley90

I don't get this unwavering hard on that management has with having 3 LH's and 3 RH's, do they really think the defining moment in a tournament will come down to which hand a guy is?

Probably more of a "how used to/good at his unnatural position is this player" kind of question. It's not all that stupid.

Red_Man

Probably more of a "how used to/good at his unnatural position is this player" kind of question. It's not all that stupid.
I agree on the basis of it, but you're going to use a guy who's a lot worse then another guy just because he's the right handedness? Subban can play left, you play your best players. You don't use that rule as an absolute.

That was a huge deal in the Canucks media a year or two ago. Apparently only having Bieksa as a RHD (no Tanev yet) was why the team sucked.

Edit: something about taking pucks dumped along the boards on your backhand.

ZeroGravity

I think Mike Babcock does. From the sounds of it, he's the major one pushing for it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
McKenzie's top 8 D seems solid.

M Staal being an option seems crazy. Hasn't he struggled this year after the eye injury?

Started off the year really great, then started having problems, then had a concussion, now back and seems to be doing alright so far.

Generally speaking when he's been in the lineup he's been the Rangers' second best D-man behind McDonagh.

Smiley90

I agree on the basis of it, but you're going to use a guy who's a lot worse then another guy just because he's the right handedness? Subban can play left, you play your best players. You don't use that rule as an absolute.

When you're picking Olympic players I'd argue any one player isn't "a lot worse" than another. So if an RD is better than an LD but the RD MIGHT be worse/more error-prone at LD, Team Canada is more likely to pick the natural LD, where they know what they can expect.

Is it the right choice? Maybe. Is it the safe choice? Yes.

Don't get me wrong though, I think Subban should absolutely be ok the roster and I firmly think he will.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I want Subban on the team but I won't lie if Subban doesn't get on I am looking forward to the Red_Man salt.

It'll be delicious.

Top Bottom