• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
17 of the 25 members of Team Canada played in the World Juniors, pretty reflective of Canadian hockey ops.

Red_Man

I'm LTTP, but how did Chris Kunitz make the Olympic team?
B97267395Z.120140102225305000G504FM07.11.jpg

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Wait, O'Reilly got hurt trying to hug Stastny to celebrate a goal?

That has to go up there with pancakes as great ways to injure yourself.

Acid08

Banned
Couture said that when Yzerman called him today he straight up said they had better players than him available so he didn't get picked. No mention of the injury. What a fucking joke.

Red_Man

Couture said that when Yzerman called him today he straight up said they had better players than him available so he didn't get picked. No mention of the injury. What a fucking joke.
LeBrun said today that the reason Giroux, St Louis and Couture got left off is their speed, and that if the Olympics were being played on NHL ice 5 guys or more would be on the team that currently aren't. He also said one western GM couldn't believe Subban is even in the top 8 :lol what a joke.

Acid08

Banned
LeBrun said today that the reason Giroux, St Louis and Couture got left off is their speed, and that if the Olympics were being played on NHL ice 5 guys or more would be on the team that currently aren't. He also said one western GM couldn't believe Subban is even in the top 8 :lol what a joke.

That would be the only legitimate knock against him. And the injury of course, but of that wasn't even factored into the decision then pffffffffffffffffffft puhlease. Still would have been better than a number of those picks.

Red_Man

That would be the only legitimate knock against him. And the injury of course, but of that wasn't even factored into the decision then pffffffffffffffffffft puhlease. Still would have been better than a number of those picks.
I agree, I want him on the team. Just saying according to those in the know Team Canada put a whole lot of focus on skating ability, whether it's right or wrong remains to be seen.

ZeroGravity

There has to be more to it than skating when it comes to St. Louis. He might be the best skater on the Lightning even at his age, and the Lightning are a really fast team.

Red_Man

LeBrun said that was the defining knock against him, and a lot of other management were against him. I don't get it, and you have to know Yzerman did everything in his power to get him on without having to override the rest of management.

Quick

Banned
Seems like Yzerman didn't want to play favourites. Stamkos was a lock, St. Louis could've come off as Yzerman pushing his authority around.

Imagine if HBO or a network decided to do a documentary about the Olympic team, from selection to the end of the games, 24/7 style. That would be pretty cool.

Socreges

Banned
I see what Acid is saying now.

Couture just wouldn't make for a great winger, especially on international ice, and isn't a good enough center to supplant guys like Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf, Bergeron or Tavares. A center like Duchene also gets the edge because he's got speed and can play the wing.

Red_Man

Seems like Yzerman didn't want to play favourites. Stamkos was a lock, St. Louis could've come off as Yzerman pushing his authority around.

Imagine if HBO or a network decided to do a documentary about the Olympic team, from selection to the end of the games, 24/7 style. That would be pretty cool.
This would be awesome, but will never happen especially after the Ryan backlash. CBC did their own little 20 min documentary with some footage of the management team discussing players, it's a good watch for anyone that missed it:

http://olympics.cbc.ca/videos/video/seoname=defending-gold-the-making-team-canada.html

Samyy

Supposedly Gagner on the block with Edmonton.

I'd love to see a Reimer + Franson deal to get him.

No way in hell would I ever do this with the way Bernier has been playing
Why does everyone want to drop players after half a season of performance? Remember MacArthur and Grabo? Both on pace for 60 points right now and were dynamite the 2-3 seasons before this too.

Leaf fans can be a little too fickle, the goalie situation is far from sorted out so lets not start throwing Reimer into deals involving floaters like Gagner.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have been playing BF4 a lot lately. I know it has/had a lot of issues, but it has been working great for me the last few weeks. Taking out vehicles on foot is so satisfying. Another thing I like about BF is that I care much less about my K/D.

Heretic

I have been playing BF4 a lot lately. I know it has/had a lot of issues, but it has been working great for me the last few weeks. Taking out vehicles on foot is so satisfying. Another thing I like about BF is that I care much less about my K/D.

Only people that die all the time say this!

Quick

Banned
No way in hell would I ever do this with the way Bernier has been playing
Why does everyone want to drop players after half a season of performance? Remember MacArthur and Grabo? Both on pace for 60 points right now and were dynamite the 2-3 seasons before this too.

Leaf fans can be a little too fickle, the goalie situation is far from sorted out so lets not start throwing Reimer into deals involving floaters like Gagner.

Not saying I disagree, but who's to say that Grabovski and MacArthur would have that same production under Carlyle's system had they stayed?

Var

Not saying I disagree, but who's to say that Grabovski and MacArthur would have that same production under Carlyle's system had they stayed?

Sometimes I try to spin the JVR trade the same way to make myself feel better....

Merguson

Banned
Jesus. Grabovski is getting on average less than one minute of ice time with the Capitals compared to his last season with the Leafs.

Sucks after signing that contract. Gets bought out. Playing well in a contract year. Surprise! He wants money. He'll play hard for money.

MacArthur rejects less money from the Leafs to get a better contract.

If they were happy with losing and plenty of ice-time with Ron Wilson, adios.

Curufinwe

Sometimes I try to spin the JVR trade the same way to make myself feel better....

Only 6 points in his last 14 games, lol.
:(

On the positive side, BSchenn now has 27 points in 43 games while only getting 15:49 ATOI. And he leads the team in +/-.

zedge

BF4 is infenetly better than that pile of dog poo. Even with the bugs. I may triple dip on the xbone version. ;)

COD is OK in short bursts. Its gets old quick. No variety.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
BF4 is infenetly better than that pile of dog poo. Even with the bugs. I may triple dip on the xbone version. ;)

COD is OK in short bursts. Its gets old quick. No variety.

I need to practice more with the jets and helicopters. I ended up getting the premium DLC. The China Rising maps are pretty cool.

BF4 is a great game, it just got a lot of hate because of all the issues it had early on. Playing with a squad of friends who all know what they are doing though pretty much tops most MP experiences now a days.

Cactus

Banned
Jesus. Grabovski is getting on average less than one minute of ice time with the Capitals compared to his last season with the Leafs.

Sucks after signing that contract. Gets bought out. Playing well in a contract year. Surprise! He wants money. He'll play hard for money.

MacArthur rejects less money from the Leafs to get a better contract.

If they were happy with losing and plenty of ice-time with Ron Wilson, adios.

Neither player had a good relationship with Carlyle, and they're both having rebound seasons on different teams under coaches who seem to recognize their strengths.

Plus, if they're supposedly so fixated on dollar signs, shouldn't we say the same about Clarkson? He squeezed as much money and term as possible out of Nonis even though he was planning to sign here from the very beginning. I understand that a free agent will always want to maximize his dollar figure, but it seems obvious that the long-term cap/salary situation (which is irrevocably tied to the long-term success of the franchise) was not something he was worrying about while he was using offers from other teams to drive the price of his services up.

Top Bottom