• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2016 |OT| Road to the Matthews Draft Pick

These games in hand are giving me hope for the playoffs. I know I will be disappointed but a man can dream.

We have been playing pretty great since mid november other than our west coast trip which was a fucking disaster.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Wait, when did Carolina get decent?

aJGXapx.jpg

This guy.

(Justin Faulk)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Canes have had great statistical numbers for a while now, goaltending really sunk them. I guess it's picked up along with some scoring and PDO.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Don't forget Skinner. If he keeps it going he could end up with 30+ goals.

Ward and Lack have played a lot better lately. Ward in particular.

We got a new goalie coach, was it last season? Ward had an improvement last season as well but injuries (Like J. Staals) hurt us.

Sucks we lost Wiz in the first game (in his first shift :() but man, yeah I am happy with the way things have been going!

Erdrick

Same here. If we're going to get back into this, the next three games against Minnesota, Colorado and Nashville will be crucial.

They've screwed around long enough. If anything is to be made of this year, they need to win pretty much every game possible to be relevant. Ottawa showed last year that things like that are still possible in today's NHL.

Syrinx

We got a new goalie coach, was it last season? Ward had an improvement last season as well but injuries (Like J. Staals) hurt us.

Sucks we lost Wiz in the first game (in his first shift :() but man, yeah I am happy with the way things have been going!
Quite impressive that we've been going almost this whole season playing 3 rookie d-men and it hasn't been a disaster.

They've screwed around long enough. If anything is to be made of this year, they need to win pretty much every game possible to be relevant. Ottawa showed last year that things like that are still possible in today's NHL.

Oh definitely. It's not like these three games are going to automatically put them in a playoff spot. We need to get on a hot streak sooner rather then later.

zroid

Banned
interview with Kyle Dubas on mapleleafs.com: http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=797721

some really interesting stuff in here, mostly about player development. here's two excerpts:

MapleLeafs.com:
In recently speaking to coach Sheldon Keefe and Frederik Gauthier for a story on Gauthier’s first pro season with the Marlies, it was clear the franchise is coming together in different ways to help young players improve - in his case, through changes to his equipment that will benefit his skating. Is that when you feel most fulfilled in your role – seeing the entire organization collaborate – and having players willing to work with them to make improvements?

Kyle Dubas:
In Frederik’s case – and this applies to every player – we try to use all the expertise we have as a development staff. How that came about with the changes to his equipment was, in sitting and talking with Sheldon, myself, (Leafs director of player development) Scott Pellerin, (Leafs skills development consultant) Darryl Belfry, (player development consultant) Mike Ellis and (Leafs skating coach) Barb Underhill – so really our entire development staff. Barb had some great insights and so did Darryl and they conveyed that, by making a few alterations to his equipment, it would significantly change his posture and thus the power he could generate from his skating.

And so Chris McKeage, our equipment manager – who I also consider part of our development staff, because he’s the one who has to make the changes; he’s sort of the mechanic behind it all, even though people may not always think of that role that way, but we do – made the changes. Frederik was open to it, and not a lot of players are, especially not rookie pros who’re trying to get their feet under them and get started in the league. Frederik embraced the change, and it was explained to him in a way by our staff that “here’s how we believe it can help you, here are the direct improvements we can see these equipment changes making”. Frederik has put in a spectacular amount of work every day, but notably with Barb Underhill and Darryl, to improve his game.

When we’re scouting, some will say, “well, he didn’t have great numbers in the Quebec League and he’s a first-round pick,” a lot of that, especially in hockey, is still so subjective. But are there things we can do as a staff that will improve him? How does he retain teaching? Is he an intelligent young man? And Frederik is – before he chose the Quebec League, he was accepted to Harvard, and he’s a very intelligent 20-year-old, one of the most intelligent I’ve been around. He embraced it, and we try to provide all of our players with these types of insights to improve. And it’s paid dividends so far for Frederik.

MapleLeafs.com:
You get to sit at the feet, so to speak, of arguably the greatest GM in NHL history, and work alongside arguably the best coach in the game today and a Hall-of-Fame player and highly-regarded executive in Brendan Shanahan. Can any human being be that big of a sponge to soak in all that knowledge that you have around you? And can you speak about what you’ve learned from each of those men thus far?

Kyle Dubas:
There’s so much information and so much for me to learn in general, and I would put (Leafs director of player personnel) Mark Hunter in that group as well, in terms of people who’ve had great success in hockey identifying talent and players and learning from them.

Since Babs arrived in May, I don’t know that I’ve ever learned as much from anyone as I have from him. He’s always on the go, always talking, always searching for new ideas, always willing to share, always willing to value your idea. He has a very unique way of going about it – what you see with him is what you get. What he says in public is what he says privately as well. He challenges you, he wants your opinion, he seeks it out, he’s very collaborative, and I’ve learned a lot from how he thinks about the game, how he explains and teaches it, how he thinks about different players and systems.

I have a daily interaction with Lou, and my tasks now have been the Marlies, our development system and our analytics side. Lou will check in with me every day, I’m able to bounce stuff off Lou, talk about it and so forth.

One guy that doesn’t get a whole lot of things said about him is (Leafs assistant to the GM) Brandon Pridham. I’ve learned so much from Brandon so far, in terms of his knowledge of the CBA and contracts, rulings and the intricacies of it. He kind of flies under the radar, but he really shouldn’t, because he’s great at what he does, not only with the CBA but with scouting and player identification and so forth.

Because I see a lot of AHL games, I’m able to talk to Mark and get his opinion about different players on different teams. And going into the draft last year, it was great working with Mark as we were trying to acquire more (draft) picks for the staff. And last year at the end of the year, I did a lot of amateur scouting – we kind of asked Mark, “Where do you want me to go and who do you want me to see?” He’d give me his insights, and it’s great to talk in meetings with him, it’s very interesting to see how he evaluates players.

My relationship with Brendan has been changing in a good way: when we went through that stretch of four months when there was no GM and we were sharing duties, we’d talk everyday. And he’s around the Marlies quite a bit, and it’s always great to get his insights on the way the team plays from his experience as a player, and as an executive in the NHL and how different things work.

I learn a lot of different things from everybody, and for me, to be able to draw on the unique experiences of those people, it’s amazing. It’s an excellent staff, and Brendan’s done a great job of putting it together. It’s exciting for me to learn from those kind of people. I’m very fortunate and happy to be here, and to just try to pull my weight and do the very best I can with the tasks assigned. I’ve learned a lot and still have so much to learn, but I’m in a great place to do that.

Wings are so fucking boring now. Time for some new blood beyond Larkin. Fuckers can't score worth a damn anymore.

But gotta give them credit. The Coyotes had two dumb penalties in a row, the Wings capitalized on both, and then just overwhelmed with skill in OT last night.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Apparently some fans saw Ghetto and Carr at the airport going back to St John's.

Interesting unless Weise is back and DSP draws in.

Is Final Fantasy Tactics:The War of the Lions any good?
I just bought it on my Vita

Back when I had a PSP I played it a lot. I think I made it halfway before I got burned out.

It was fun, the story was decent, it just did not evolve much over time. For a game that long, there should be some things changed at some point to keep things interesting.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
sure

it suffers from slowdowns, and you cant patch it

but its still decent

Isn't this fixed with playing it on Vita? Could have sworn it was. It certainly was fixed on iOS.

Weird slowdown issues on the PSP version aside, it's still one of the best SRPGs ever.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Man this Preds season has been a complete trainwreck. They would be near the bottom of the standings were it not for the dozen or so games they had before everyone caught on to their gameplan.

imBask

Banned
Carr was seen in a plane to st-john

the only guy who could score on our team, and actually looked like he gave a shit

why

Top Bottom