• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2016 |OT| Road to the Matthews Draft Pick

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
CZNNXhTWcAA459H.jpg
Lol

Foggy

He tanked his own value, thereby potentially minimizing the return for assets that could help his teammates.

Well, honestly I don't think it's fair to ask a player to consider something like that. Unless you honestly expect players like Stamkos to take a paycut for the long-term good of the team. Stuff like that shouldn't be his concern.

ZeroGravity

Well, honestly I don't think it's fair to ask a player to consider something like that. Unless you honestly expect players like Stamkos to take a paycut for the long-term good of the team. Stuff like that shouldn't be his concern.
Sure, but his actions still have ramifications. It's one thing to request a trade in his situation - which is a pretty shitty thing to do to begin with - but what he's essentially doing is throwing a hissyfit because management won't trade him "NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!"

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
He tanked his own value, thereby potentially minimizing the return for assets that could help his teammates.

Technically not correct.

By sitting out he's not hurting his current TBL teammates.

After he's traded they won't be his teammates anymore, so he doesnt have to care about his former teammates. ;)

ZeroGravity

Technically not correct.

By sitting out he's not hurting his current TBL teammates.

After he's traded they won't be his teammates anymore, so he doesnt have to care about his former teammates. ;)
He also put himself in a situation where now the team can't/won't even recall him if they DO need him (injuries and such).

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
He also put himself in a situation where now the team can't/won't even recall him if they DO need him (injuries and such).

And how is that his fault? They sent him down in the first place, they CAN easily call him back up. Just because they dont want to doesnt mean they cant.

Socreges

Banned
How many years does Drouin have left on his ELC? When does he negotiate a new contract? This will be used against him... if he hasn't had some time to erase it from people's minds.

TBay won't rush to trade him, especially now. He'll come to realize that towing the line is in his best interest, at which point his trade value won't be so low and Tampa will look to deal him.

ZeroGravity

And how is that his fault? They sent him down in the first place, they CAN easily call him back up. Just because they dont want to doesnt mean they cant.
He's said he's flat out not playing for the organization anymore, despite still being contracted to them. Yes, that is 100% his choice and his fault.

How many years does Drouin have left on his ELC? When does he negotiate a new contract? This will be used against him... if he hasn't had some time to erase it from people's minds.

TBay won't rush to trade him, especially now. He'll come to realize that towing the line is in his best interest, at which point his trade value won't be so low and Tampa will look to deal him.
His contract runs through the end of next year.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
He's said he's flat out not playing for the organization anymore, despite still being contracted to them. Yes, that is 100% his choice and his fault.

His contract runs through the end of next year.

Total dick move by Drouin. Honestly, I don't want the Sens to come anywhere near this kid and his ego (not that the Bolts would trade him to us anyways)

zroid

Banned
Frankly even though I think Drouin is being dumb I would still not hesitate to trade for him. 20 year olds are dumb as a general rule, so whatever, all this stuff will blow over. Most cases when a kid feels like he's being mistreated, the agent will advise him differently, obviously Walsh is a twat so this is what happened.

Cake Boss

Banned
Total dick move by Drouin. Honestly, I don't want the Sens to come anywhere near this kid and his ego (not that the Bolts would trade him to us anyways)

Lol I love ego, he thinks he's a badass player. I don't want pussies that have the confidence of a moth and perform like a bunch of Curtis Lazars.

Frankly even though I think Drouin is being dumb I would still not hesitate to trade for him. 20 year olds are dumb as a general rule, so whatever, all this stuff will blow over. Most cases when a kid feels like he's being mistreated, the agent will advise him differently, obviously Walsh is a twat so this is what happened.

Especially if wherever he ends up he plays well, it will be forgotten

GSG Flash

Lol I love ego, he thinks he's a badass player. I don't want pussies that have the confidence of a moth and perform like a bunch of Curtis Lazars.

Thinks he's a badass player but hasn't done anything to prove it outside of the juniors as of yet. Nikita Filatov probably still thinks he's a badass player as well.

Cake Boss

Banned
Thinks he's a badass player but hasn't done anything to prove it outside of the juniors as of yet. Nikita Filatov probably still thinks he's a badass player as well.

40 points in 80 games in his rookie season is pretty good.

Well be lucky if Lazar reaches 20 points this season, but its okay. HE HAS CHARACTERR!!

GSG Flash

40 points in 80 games in his rookie season is pretty good.

Well be lucky if Lazar reaches 20 points this season, but its okay. HE HAS CHARACTERR!!

He barely had over 30 points and was outscored(goals) by Lazar last season :/

The fact that he went down to the AHL and is stinking it up down there, despite how good he thinks he is, is a huge red flag, and that's not even counting his poor attitude.

Cake Boss

Banned
He barely had over 30 points and was outscored(goals) by Lazar last season :/

The fact that he went down to the AHL and is stinking it up down there, despite how good he thinks he is, is a huge red flag, and that's not even counting his poor attitude.

My bad was looking at career points.

Which my point still stands 40 pts in 89 games.
Lazar 25pts in 105

Lol

Lazar ain't outscoring shit.

I think the Blues still get him. I think they can afford to put together the best deal and he is out of the conference with a trade to STL. Which is something Yzerman preferred right?

Foggy

I wouldn't hesitate to say Drouin is foolish or stupid, but I bristle at calling it a "hissy fit" or childish or whatever the hell. He's an independent contractor in one of the most volatile professions in the world. I wouldn't disparage a guy like that just for doing what he thinks is in his best interests. Screw being a professional or loyal or whatever bullshit platitudes we put on guys in the name of sports. It's his body and livelihood he has to look out for.

Cake Boss

Banned
I wouldn't hesitate to say Drouin is foolish or stupid, but I bristle at calling it a "hissy fit" or childish or whatever the hell. He's an independent contractor in one of the most volatile professions in the world. I wouldn't disparage a guy like that just for doing what he thinks is in his best interests. Screw being a professional or loyal or whatever bullshit platitudes we put on guys in the name of sports. It's his body and livelihood he has to look out for.

This. In a profession where you don't even get the choice to choose the team you want to play for until your 26,27 years old and UFA, all power to the people who want to choose who to play for and when.

Avs have mandatory 8:00pm starts due to NBCSN, I was wondering what was up with all of the late starts this season, that is some bullshit.

Quick

Banned
Avs have mandatory 8:00pm starts due to NBCSN, I was wondering what was up with all of the late starts this season, that is some bullshit.

This is some bullshit. :lol

Then again, Central and Western Canadian teams generally have to bend to 7:00/7:30 PM ET start times when the Leafs are playing against their teams.

Quick

Banned
Due to TSN?

Probably a mixture of the NHL and Rogers, not so much TSN anymore (owned by Bell, a minority owner of MLSE), but I'm sure they still have some pull.

Rogers wants primetime for the team they have majority ownership in (through MLSE), the NHL won't be arguing with their big broadcasting partner in Canada.

But even before Rogers had a majority ownership of MLSE, Leafs have always mostly gotten game times adjusted to fit the 7:00 PM ET timeslot. Leafs games seem to draw some good ratings consistently.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This 100%. There's also a precedent for this with Yzerman / Cooper, first St. Louis, now the Stamkos stuff, Barberio reportedly had issues with Cooper, etc. Those first along with Drouin are as high profile as it gets, where there's smoke there's definitely fire. Lots of Tampa fans including Zero have spent the last two years saying Cooper misuses him and doesn't give him a fair shot, he was 3rd overall, I'd be disgruntled too if I was shipped off to the AHL when I should be in a top 6 role on a NHL team.

Yzerman can try and play tough all he wants, but Drouin's value isn't increasing while he sits around, especially since he didn't exactly light it up in the AHL.

Probably a mixture of the NHL and Rogers, not so much TSN anymore (owned by Bell, a minority owner of MLSE), but I'm sure they still have some pull.

Rogers wants primetime for the team they have majority ownership in (through MLSE), the NHL won't be arguing with their big broadcasting partner in Canada.

But even before Rogers had a majority ownership of MLSE, Leafs have always mostly gotten game times adjusted to fit the 7:00 PM ET timeslot. Leafs games seem to draw some good ratings consistently.

Ah got ya. Makes sense for them to do it that way.

I am looking at the schedule and they schedule the Leafs on the west coast trips that they end on a saturday night and they play at 7 instead of at 10 or 1030 during the week. Just found that interesting even though there are only two west coast trips.

Top Bottom