• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2016 |OT| Road to the Matthews Draft Pick

anigif_optimized-22757-1425164496-14.gif

zroid

Banned
A couple new wrinkles in the Drouin saga:

Should the 20-year-old forward remain suspended for the rest of the season, the Lightning could seek to have his contract tolled. If successful, that would leave Drouin with two years of entry-level remaining and make him an even more valuable commodity.

Of course, that action would have to be upheld by a partial arbitrator, and with no precedent to lean on, it's impossible to predict what outcome might come from a grievance.

Another potential consequence of this situation is that Drouin won't register an accrued season if he doesn't spend two more games on a NHL roster by mid-April -- which, as GeneralFanager pointed out on Twitter, means that he wouldn't be eligible for unrestricted free agency until July 2022 rather than one year earlier.

Yawnier

Banned
At this point I'm probably more interested in seeing what happens with Drouin if Stevie Y holds out and onto him, oppose to what happens if he gets traded.

Most GMs can't afford to piss away a decent, young asset just for the sake of doing so

ZeroGravity

At this point I'm probably more interested in seeing what happens with Drouin if Stevie Y holds out and onto him, oppose to what happens if he gets traded.

Most GMs can't afford to piss away a decent, young asset just for the sake of doing so
We're one of the few teams that probably could.

True but what Yzerman is asking for wouldn't be for the sake of getting rid of him. So it he gets the offer he wants then obviously the Bolts would be in the position they want to be in.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Comparing this to the return Seguin got, who had a better record at the NHL level and wasn't holding out, I don't see how Yzerman hits a home run here. You almost never win when you trade players of these calibre, and everything is going against Yzerman at this point.

We're one of the few teams that probably could.
Lol a month ago you were saying Drouin was untouchable

zroid

Banned
Tolling the contract is an interesting idea for Stevie Y, though as the article says, it would have to be approved by an arbitrator. If Drouin doesn't want to play for the Bolts, Yzerman can wait out on a deal he likes, and if it doesn't happen, they can replenish year 2 on the ELC after the season and it would be like this year never happened. Either he gets traded as if he were coming off his first ELC year, or he plays for Tampa next season.

I think it would be bad for the Bolts if Yzerman did hold onto him. Having a player that you know doesn't want to be there and it is one of the biggest stories of this season thus far, the pressure will be mounting on some sort of resolution.

ZeroGravity

I think it would be bad for the Bolts if Yzerman did hold onto him. Having a player that you know doesn't want to be there and it is one of the biggest stories of this season thus far, the pressure will be mounting on some sort of resolution.
There's also, I imagine, a lot of pressure on Yzerman not to give in so easily to this. The other GMs would likely hate the kind of precedent it would set.

There's also, I imagine, a lot of pressure on Yzerman not to give in so easily to this. The other GMs would likely hate the kind of precedent it would set.

Yep totally agree. it is a weird and complicated situation.

If the trade does happens and Yzerman gets exactly what he wants then I don't think a precedent will be set but if he "settles" then I think that is where that precedent could happen.

Top Bottom