• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2016 |OT| Road to the Matthews Draft Pick

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Regardless of what Bergevin said I think he has seriously considered it. If I had to guess, they just don't think there's a suitable replacement right now. I feel that if the Habs miss the playoffs or flame out in the first round, Guy Boucher is getting a phone call.
This is my best guess. I have a hard time believing Bergevin is that stupid, but his foxhole comment was unnecessary and worrying. If they miss the playoffs and Therrien is still here come October, I'll be on the #FireBergevin train, but for now I have to believe he has a plan right now.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
I have ear buds, never use them. They're uncomfortable and I think my Ipod ones are busted anyway. I have some sony headphones that cover the whole lobe and have noise cancelling that I wear to and from college, between class etc. So much better.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
"Rogers, TELUS and Bell are all raising their cellular plan prices across Canada starting at $5 per month–blamed on the exchange rate (except in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Quebec, where regional carriers offer real competition; and exchange rates ‘magically’ don’t apply)."

.... did anyone say collusion? nobody? okay.

"Rogers, TELUS and Bell are all raising their cellular plan prices across Canada starting at $5 per month–blamed on the exchange rate (except in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Quebec, where regional carriers offer real competition; and exchange rates ‘magically’ don’t apply)."

on a corporate plan, don't think imma be affected

Ursn

Yesterday was a good day. Finally played how they have been expected to.

PERR
y.
PERR
on
Coincidence?
I do
oo
think so!

Stasis

Videotron in Quebec I guess. That's who I'm with in fact. They'll still probably raise it a buck or two like they do periodically. Best ISP/carrier around here in terms of service, billing, and internet packages for sure. Bell can diaf. So can Telus. Never tried Rogers.

Speaking of Videotron: don't worry Habs gaf, y'all can switch to Quebec's other team in a few!

At least you may have a shot at some new top prospect while already having a few... we're just kinda fucked with no first rounder again, nothing to show for it, and a pretty much empty cupboard all while being saddled with shitty D on terrible contracts. Your December/January dumpster fire will be a drop in the bucket compared to the years of poopoo we've got coming =/

Alucard

Banned
Videotron in Quebec I guess. That's who I'm with in fact. They'll still probably raise it a buck or two like they do periodically. Best ISP/carrier around here in terms of service, billing, and internet packages for sure. Bell can diaf. So can Telus. Never tried Rogers.

Speaking of Videotron: don't worry Habs gaf, y'all can switch to Quebec's other team in a few!

At least you may have a shot at some new top prospect while already having a few... we're just kinda fucked with no first rounder again, nothing to show for it, and a pretty much empty cupboard all while being saddled with shitty D on terrible contracts. Your December/January dumpster fire will be a drop in the bucket compared to the years of poopoo we've got coming =/

I may have to switch providers. I'm paying 80 bucks a month for unlimited cross-Canada and everything else, plus just 1 gig of data. Seems like too much. I'm with Telus. How much does Videotron charge for a cellphone plan?

Also paying 110 bucks a month for tv and Internet with Bell. Seems like too much as well, especially since it's just the base package for the TV.

Solo

Anyone care to throw any "advanced" stats up there to show that the Habs are "just not getting the bounces" or are "shooting at an unsustainable low %" now?

Wake up. They are not a good team. They can't score, their D is porous, and they've relied too heavily on the best goalie in the world the past few seasons. No amount of hand waving and stats can change that.

Solo

I think at some point, Molson is going to take a look at the amount he lost by not making the playoffs with the CAD in the shitter, and he's going to pick up the phone to fire everyone all in one fluid motion

We can only hope. Bergevin and Therrien (hell, the entire coaching staff) both need to be stopped before they fuck over the team for years to come, something we as Habs fans have seen too many times over the past 20 years.

Cake Boss

Banned
Listening to 690 on my drive to work and reading solos post. No one in Ottawa has endured so much salt in little time, maybe Silex when he had that poutine from last nights game.

Ricker

szECLkV.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone care to throw any "advanced" stats up there to show that the Habs are "just not getting the bounces" or are "shooting at an unsustainable low %" now?

Wake up. They are not a good team. They can't score, their D is porous, and they've relied too heavily on the best goalie in the world the past few seasons. No amount of hand waving and stats can change that.
I've said that since the off season :(

All the Habs really did was add Semin to the mix and all I heard was "oh it's not a bad contract so they won't lose much if he plays poorly and gets sent down". That was never the point. Bergevin knows clearly the team's weakness and didn't address it.

imBask

Banned
We can only hope. Bergevin and Therrien (hell, the entire coaching staff) both need to be stopped before they fuck over the team for years to come, something we as Habs fans have seen too many times over the past 20 years.

we're officially in 2011-2012 territory right now. I never thought i'd say that

there's no way they're turning the puck over that much unintentionally, you can't just have 12 players become turnover machines in the blink of an eye

They're playing bad because they have no confidence. Losing however many games out of your last 30 will do that to you. Doesn't need a grand conspiracy, confidence plays such a huge role in performance you don't really need to look for an explanation beyond that.

Edit: Also Price was hiding a lot of cracks in the armor, all I'm saying is that they're better than they're playing right now.

imBask

Banned
They're playing bad because they have no confidence. Losing however many games out of your last 30 will do that to you. Doesn't need a grand conspiracy, confidence plays such a huge role in performance you don't really need to look for an explanation beyond that.

Edit: Also Price was hiding a lot of cracks in the armor, all I'm saying is that they're better than they're playing right now.

I get that, Price was holding everyone together but still and they keep losing and blablabla, but still, they turn the puck over like some peewee level Oilers, i've never seen that many turnovers in my life

Stasis

I may have to switch providers. I'm paying 80 bucks a month for unlimited cross-Canada and everything else, plus just 1 gig of data. Seems like too much. I'm with Telus. How much does Videotron charge for a cellphone plan?

Also paying 110 bucks a month for tv and Internet with Bell. Seems like too much as well, especially since it's just the base package for the TV.

That same plan is $55 with Videotron. Assuming you mean cross-Canada from local, and not from other provinces on trips as roaming will apply with this. I pay $55 for that with 4gb though, a promo from last year and I've been a customer for like 10 years.

Dunno about TV, we're cord cutters now. I do know they love giving you deals when you say you're ditching Bell. Or you can use a threat to move to Videotron in order to get more from Bell. Whatever works! My internet is $75 for 60/10 with unlimited bandwidth. Never drops. Can count hiccups in the last 5 years on one hand tbh. I'd go 120/20 but its not available in my area yet. Obviously you can get cheaper with a 30 DL and no unlimited + new client promos blabla.

Bell is usually cheaper overall for combined deals but I hate them so much. Such a pita to deal with. I just get Videotron to match.

Silexx

So we have to wait till 2021 to become good again? We lose Karlsson on the way.

My concern isn't so much that we lose Karlsson, but rather that we lose every significant supporting piece around him and by the time we build it back up, he'll be past his prime.

Cake Boss

Banned
My concern isn't so much that we lose Karlsson, but rather that we lose every significant supporting piece around him and by the time we build it back up, he'll be past his prime.

Or does he mean that soon as the NCC gives him his bid, he will start spending even before the new arena is finished building.

Stasis

"why are the chinese buying our lands"

riveting story by our #1 newspaper

Them and their Mercedes' and translators!

Only time I've ever read that paper is at shitty breakfast places at 6am waiting for my food, lol.

Edit: that dermatology struggle is real tho! Even with my gf as a nurse I'm having issues and I just need to check up on a birthmark =/

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really getting sick of this build for the playoffs, have some moderate success for two years, then suck ass for one or two, repeat ad naseum thing we've got going on since forever.

Why can't they be a legitimate contender for a few years before fading back to shit :(

Apparently we got a goalie controversy brewing for real in Philly. As of now it is pure speculation but I guess we will find out here pretty soon.

I don't think Steve Mason will lose his start job in Philly. Wasn't he injured a lot this year? If that's the case... Bernier for Mason.........?

Silexx

Or does he mean that soon as the NCC gives him his bid, he will start spending even before the new arena is finished building.

My understanding was that it would be once the arena is built, but I don't think they went into specifics.

I think the Sens will always open up the coffers for Karlsson, I don't think Murray (or whoever is going to be GM at that time) will hesitate to give Karlsson the max. The problem is that if we are still operating on a budget, we won't have much room to surround him with the proper support to make the team competitive.

Cake Boss

Banned
The problem isn't what Karlsson is going to demand, is to whether he even wants to stay when he knows the GM and ownership is too incompetent to surround him with talent to compete for a championship.

We can't surround him right now with talent even tho he's only making 6.5M. That's the issue. If we can't right now, then it won't matter how much he's gonna ask, because even if it was the same amount of $, we still won't be able to get him much help.

zroid

Banned
How long before PK's deal gets talked about as 'unmovable'?

He's on the way to becoming the next Dion.

IMO they should try to get ahead of it while they still can. Trade PK for Dion, it's a move to slightly less cap hit for slightly fewer years. We can handle the burden while rebuilding.

Silexx

The problem isn't what Karlsson is going to demand, is to whether he even wants to stay when he knows the GM and ownership is too incompetent to surround him with talent to compete for a championship.

We can't surround him right now with talent even tho he's only making 6.5M. That's the issue. If we can't right now, then it won't matter how much he's gonna ask, because even if it was the same amount of $, we still won't be able to get him much help.

I think we're pretty much in agreement there.

Top Bottom