• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2016 |OT| Road to the Matthews Draft Pick

Cake Boss

Banned
Sylvain St -Laurent Syl_St_Laurent 12m12 minutes ago View translation
Negotiations for the renewal of Chris Neil contract could start soon

AyyHR7c.gif

I GIVE UP!

DONE!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If you guys are enjoying Tony now, you really need to go listen to his show when Carey Price lost his dogs during the playoffs against the Bruins and a caller called in when he found them. It's incredible, he trolled Boston radio too. Pretty sure Vatstep brought him up.

Silexx

AyyHR7c.gif

I GIVE UP!

DONE!

Serious question: With Karlsson calling out the team last night (or at least some of it) and Bobby's comment from last week too, do we have any idea who they're specifically calling out here? The TSN panel said that Ryan was calling out a specific player but I don't know if it ever was reported who it would be. I'm sure we'd all like to think it's Cowen or something but I'm just wondering if we got a concrete answer.

Cake Boss

Banned
Serious question: With Karlsson calling out the team last night (or at least some of it) and Bobby's comment from last week too, do we have any idea who they're specifically calling out here? The TSN panel said that Ryan was calling out a specific player but I don't know if it ever was reported who it would be. I'm sure we'd all like to think it's Cowen or something but I'm just wondering if we got a concrete answer.

I don't know who. But I was told that bringing in all these character guys, local guys, good in the locker room, physical players into the club was a good thing and will avoid these type of things that's going on in the locker room and make the team win games. Someone lied to me :(

Quick

Banned
Well, there is this principle in hockey that without goals you lose.

Another simple answer is it says we need f'n offense now for any hope.

It's just so baffling to me, especially with how much the Avs were down by. Not sure how often he's done this in Dallas, but Lindy Ruff would do something similar, but with maybe 5 minutes or less remaining in the third period.

Hunter S.

It's just so baffling to me, especially with how much the Avs were down by. Not sure how often he's done this in Dallas, but Lindy Ruff would do something similar, but with maybe 5 minutes or less remaining in the third period.

It baffles me too. I usually take it to also mean, stats do not matter as much as the W.

fallout

I think the idea is that if you're down by that much at that point in the 3rd, your chances of coming back are so little that pulling the goalie increases your odds of winning without affecting your odds of losing as much. Another goal scored on you is not very costly, but scoring a goal on the other team is very beneficial. At some point, there's a time when, statistically, that cost-benefit intersects and it makes sense to pull the goalie.

I'd really love to see the stats supporting that strategy, but I don't feel like digging them up myself.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I accept Subbans mistakes because he is at least trying to make things happen and is one of the few guys putting up points in this stretch.

We do?

Mason is not 100% and hasn't practiced this week so Neuvirth is the starter again tonight. Where's the controversy?

I don't think Steve Mason will lose his start job in Philly. Wasn't he injured a lot this year? If that's the case... Bernier for Mason.........?

Well when I posted it it was media speculation shit. So I probably should have refrained for the time. But now with the confirmation of Mason's injury the controversy makes no sense.

I don't see Mason losing the job either. Neuvirth has had a great season but I still like Mason more.

lol @clendening. Really turned that trade into just perron hags swap. Glad both players are working out in new environments. Lets see if either can keep it up, perron especially. He came out flying for the pens too after the trade from edmonton but fell off quickly

Quick

Banned
It baffles me too. I usually take it to also mean, stats do not matter as much as the W.

Oh for sure. Games like the Avs/Sharks tend to be opportune moments for stat padding for some guys. Might as well attempt to change momentum.

I think the idea is that if you're down by that much at that point in the 3rd, your chances of coming back are so little that pulling the goalie increases your odds of winning without affecting your odds of losing as much. Another goal scored on you is not very costly, but scoring a goal on the other team is very beneficial. At some point, there's a time when, statistically, that cost-benefit intersects and it makes sense to pull the goalie.

I'd really love to see the stats supporting that strategy, but I don't feel like digging them up myself.

This makes sense. You're already down by a huge margin, might as well try and pop some goals in.

I accept Subbans mistakes because he is at least trying to make things happen and is one of the few guys putting up points in this stretch.

You're willing to give him the benefice of the doubt. Amdirable.

It's 2020 in my EHM game, and I just traded Galchenyuk (and some AHLers and prospects) to last place Arizona for their 1st round pick. He had never put up more than 50 points, was a pending UFA and wasn't interested in negotiating during the season. Again the board and fanbase were apoplectic after the deal was announced - but I did the same thing last year with Pacioretty, and then in the off-season re-signed him for half of what he had been asking for (5m rather than 10m).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
You're willing to give him the benefice of the doubt. Amdirable.

It's 2020 in my EHM game, and I just traded Galchenyuk (and some AHLers and prospects) to last place Arizona for their 1st round pick. He had never put up more than 50 points, was a pending UFA and wasn't interested in negotiating during the season. Again the board and fanbase were apoplectic after the deal was announced - but I did the same thing last year with Pacioretty, and then in the off-season re-signed him for half of what he had been asking for (5m rather than 10m).

You always give your favorite player the benefit of the doubt.

:(

edit: ^ already done, lol

Nice.

I'm in the 2018/2019 season and the UFA crop was legendary:

Steven Stamkos
Cam Fowler (Red Wings)
Jack Johnson (Coyotes)
John Carlson (Bolts)
Brent Burns (Sabres)
David Backes (Jets)
Mikko Koivu (Panthers)
Ryan Kesler (Blues)
Kyle Turris (Wild)
Patrick Sharp (Panthers)
Paul Stastny (Sens)
Brent Seabrook (Ducks)
Val Filppula (Preds)
Alex Semin (Wild)
Henrik Sedin (Pens)
Mike Green (Habs)
Dan Hamhuis (Pens)
Pat Hornqvist (Canucks)

A crop like that would be legit amazing. Stamkos has been a free agent every season until training camp, then signs a 8m 1yr contract with whatever team offers. First Panthers, then Canucks.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Exactly. He fucked up, but he's also the only guy showing any balls out there. Almost a PPG in the last 13 games or so, and carrying the team while he's sick.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
On every Be A GM game I've done in each iteration of the game, the Sedins always end up getting separated.

More times than I can remember, either one always ends up with the Red Wings.
In my game, the Canucks packaged both for JvR a first and something else.

Top Bottom