• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2016 |OT| Road to the Matthews Draft Pick

Calamari41

41 > 38
Swans fly together

PWRes_20_03_12_Courting_Mute_Swans%25282%2529.jpg

Me, Smiley, Marvie, and imbask. Swans Nation, hanging out in all our glory. 9th place be damned!

imBask

Banned
we probably are. It is why my shit talk is not confident at all.

I am also sadly going to miss the game tonight :( I have a meeting I have to go to that starts at 7.

i'm also going to miss it, gf's birthday + she's stuck in her Unity homework and i'll end up having to learn Unity in an hour

I forget who was asking about the Panthers success, but here's a post on their poor numbers during this run of theirs

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-panthers-are-a-fraud--for-now-144956974.html

Allow me to Zroid for second.

This is the ugly part of statistics watching, topical interpretation.

It took a while — almost half the season, in fact — but we now finally have our Team Doubling Down On Bad Process And Everyone Thinks It's Actually Good.

Ottawa *cough* but we'll get back to why his statement is factually wrong.

And yet, their goal differential? Plus-12, and fifth in the NHL.

+21 Thank you very much.

The Panthers are mostly good this year because Roberto Luongo is turning in a .929 season at age 36, and when he's out of the lineup 30-year-old Al Montoya is coming in hot at .930.

Has more to do with shot suppression and reduction of chances relative to the changing of D pairings and deployment (33-44 the main culprit). We can look at before and after the D pairings were adjusted and Mitchell was no longer being paired with top line. Panthers are:

1. 9th best in CA60 @ 50.8. This is with Mitchell and Gudbranson bleeding chances and being a boat anchor to the top lines.

2. Since 11-27 (when D pairing were changed) 4th best in CA60 @ 48.2.

Because at the same time, there's Dave Bolland, there's Willie Mitchell, there's Shawn Thornton.

Bolland is no argument. Team is much better without him. Mitchell is much better in a reduced role and the Cap. Hardly a money pit. Thornton is 1.3 million again really stretching the "money pit."

You don't necessarily want to read too much into WOWYs as a general rule, because of the way in which they necessarily make sample sizes do weird things, but when the drop-off between “on” and “off” for your five best players are this significant, it's at least somewhat instructive.

TIL- A teams top pairing and top line should generate the most offense when on the ice. Again it doesn't take into effect injuries to Bjusgstad (herniated disc) and Barkov, and others. Telling that he has to go back to the 2014 start where the team was shooting ~4% to make this argument. As of now the Panthers have a much better spread of goals with Barkov, Smith, Trochek, Jagr, with 10+ and Ekblad with 9. This point is really reaching.

But that shutout of the Rangers was one in which they were utterly dominated in every facet of the game besides “putting the puck in the net.” Sound familiar?

Oi. This is the most egregious here as a topical understanding. A team that goes up 3 and has a B2B, what is expected? Though lets loot at the shots and chances:

SAT

After the 3rd goal team turtles and conserves the top lines to keep them ready for the B2B. Playing evenly in SATs until it was 3-0.

Chances

Again looking at the stats show a better understanding of the game than glancing at the totals column and deducting.

Panthers' biggest problem is low event hockey, they are good at defense but also limit their own offense as a result. Team basically needs to shoot more. Are they peaking right now? Yeah that happens. They have also been down to the other end of spectrum as well. This is a young team prone to inconsistency, that what the #Fancystats show.

*drops mic*

imBask

Banned
Allow me to Zroid for second.

This is the ugly part of statistics watching, topical interpretation.

Ottawa *cough* but we'll get back to why his statement is factually wrong.

+21 Thank you very much.

Has more to do with shot suppression and reduction of chances relative to the changing of D pairings and deployment (33-44 the main culprit). We can look at before and after the D pairings were adjusted and Mitchell was no longer being paired with top line. Panthers are:

1. 9th best in CA60 @ 50.8. This is with Mitchell and Gudbranson bleeding chances and being a boat anchor to the top lines.

2. Since 11-27 (when D pairing were changed) 4th best in CA60 @ 48.2.

Bolland is no argument. Team is much better without him. Mitchell is much better in a reduced role and the Cap. Hardly a money pit. Thornton is 1.3 million again really stretching the "money pit."

TIL- A teams top pairing and top line should generate the most offense when on the ice. Again it doesn't take into effect injuries to Bjusgstad (herniated disc) and Barkov, and others. Telling that he has to go back to the 2014 start where the team was shooting ~4% to make this argument. As of now the Panthers have a much better spread of goals with Barkov, Smith, Trochek, Jagr, with 10+ and Ekblad with 9. This point is really reaching.

Oi. This is the most egregious here as a topical understanding. A team that goes up 3 and has a B2B, what is expected? Though lets loot at the shots and chances:

SAT

After the 3rd goal team turtles and conserves the top lines to keep them ready for the B2B. Playing evenly in SATs until it was 3-0.

Chances

Again looking at the stats show a better understanding of the game than glancing at the totals column and deducting.

Panthers' biggest problem is low event hockey, they are good at defense but also limit their own offense as a result. Team basically needs to shoot more. Are they peaking right now? Yeah that happens. They have also been down to the other end of spectrum as well. This is a young team prone to inconsistency, that what the #Fancystats show.

*drops mic*

tl;dr

Florida Kittycat sucks LOL

Calamari41

41 > 38
Holy shit, imbask, you need to calm down. I get being livid at the crap Quick and all of the Multiple Johnnys are spewing, but you're going way too far. I don't want to see you get banned again.

imBask

Banned
Holy shit, imbask, you need to calm down. I get being livid at the crap Quick and all of the Multiple Johnnys are spewing, but you're going way too far. I don't want to see you get banned again.

i'm a machine gun of truth today brah

tru-tru-tru-tru-tru-tru-tru-truth here
tru-tru-tru-tru-tru-tru-tru-truth there

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Chris Kreider is out tonight with his hand laceration. Precaution to avoid infection. So Jayson Megna will be in the lineup tonight.

And AV also said he'll probably get power play time. o_O

Keep the Old Logo.

That logo there is obv some "artistic license."

Viola ad co want the new logo as homage to 101st airborne patch (Viola graduated from West Point), and something easier to scale for hats and stuff.

Personally I love the current and the new one will be my make or break if I like it.

Quick

Banned
for all you Jabronis season 10 of IASIP is on Netflix now. And season 11 episode 1 is tomorrow

We don't have It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia in Canada. I've been told to watch it by many, but Netflix doesn't want me to watch it.

Speaking of Netflix, I started watching Danger 5 finally.

It's where the Sensible Chuckle gif came from:

himZD0M.gif

It's fucking hilarious and insane, plus the women are hot as hell. I burned through five of the six episodes of series 1 last night.

ZeroGravity

Unless Yandle's signing an extension, I don't see him coming in a deal for Drouin. I'm not even sure we have the salary cap room for him this year.

We don't have It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia in Canada. I've been told to watch it by many, but Netflix doesn't want me to watch it.

Speaking of Netflix, I started watching Danger 5 finally.

It's where the Sensible Chuckle gif came from:

himZD0M.gif

It's fucking hilarious and insane, plus the women are hot as hell. I burned through five of the six episodes of series 1 last night.

Yeah you need to watch It's Always Sunny. Fucking hilarious

and yeah Danger 5 is great! Reminds me of a really low budget Austin Powers

Top Bottom