• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2016 |OT| Road to the Matthews Draft Pick

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
BUSTSEN GONE FOR BLACKTEM?

Jensen COULD be good but just never did anything. etem's potential is IMHO higher so I'm happy

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Told you guys the trade was still on. :D

I have no strong feelings one way or the other. Jensen can't really be any less useful than Etem was (even if he stays in Hartford), and Etem's contract coming off the books gives us $1.2m in cap space now, so the net result is, at worst, mildly positive for us.

Vancouver also strikes me as a place where Etem might actually do quite well.

Yeah. I think both teams are happy about this trade.

Acid08

Banned
line at practice today

Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski
Nieto-Marleau-Ward
Donskoi-Couture-Karlsson
Brown-Tierney-Wingels

Seems like it's do or die time for guys like Hertl, Nieto, and Wingels.

I can't figure out how to join the VR cult. Once you're in though it seems amazing! For example the guy that wants VR so he can play the OG Shenmue on a 4:3 screen whilst 'sitting' in a Japanese teenager's bedroom.

Kifflom!

imBask

Banned
I can't figure out how to join the VR cult. Once you're in though it seems amazing! For example the guy that wants VR so he can play the OG Shenmue on a 4:3 screen whilst 'sitting' in a Japanese teenager's bedroom.

Kifflom!

the OR thread is great, it's not every day you see people go in full post-purchase rationalization BEFORE buying the thing, kinda reminds me of the good old Ouya

I can't believe that the Trade Deadline is so soon. Next Month! Feb 29th!

Let's see... we got Petry,Mitchell and Flynn and Smith Pelly last year.

I definitely see some changes coming this year.

Hopefully the end of Emelin and Eller.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rangers turned an NHL player that was Hagelin into an AHL player plus a 7th rounder.
Hagelin couldn't be re-signed. Too expensive with the cap situation. So he was gone no matter what. And the team's actual target in that trade was Ryan Gropp, who the team feels is developing well so far. So it's actually turning nothing into a prospect, an AHLer, and a 6th rounder. Well, nothing and whatever the pick was that we included in that deal, to be more precise.

Not an amazing return, but not a terrible one either. Actually would have been pretty solid if Etem could have turned out well here.

And for you Nucks fans, I'll answer that question about what went wrong with Etem as soon as I'm back home and out of this cab.

fO9w8vI.jpg

Should be okay. He was coached in juniors by Desjardins where he had his best success

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I like that trade. Bustem for Jenbusten

Meta, can you shed some light on what the hell happened to Etem this year

Ok, let's go.

Etem came in and had a terrible training camp. Just a terrible, terrible camp. While other new forwards stood out like Lindberg, Megna, and Gibbons, Etem was practically invisible. He didn't seem to be a great fit for AV's system, or at the very least it wasn't how he was used to playing, so he was frequently out of position, not making plays, and generally being a non-factor when he wasn't actively being a liability. Lindberg was in his "last chance" training camp before the team was going to have to cut bait with him, and Megna and Gibbons were kind of under the radar off-season signings that nothing was expected of, and it was Etem's presumed spot on the roster that these guys were effectively fighting for. Oscar Lindberg ended up winning a full time roster spot hands down, and so it came down to Jayson Megna and Emerson Etem for the 13th forward position. If it was based solely on their preseason and camps, Megna would definitely have stayed, but both would need waivers to go to the AHL, and, between the two, only Etem likely would have attracted claims from other teams who had yet to set their roster, and there's no way the team was going to let anybody just claim the NHL return from the Hagelin trade right out of camp without trying to make it work first. So they were going to give him time to try to learn AV's system and adjust to the Rangers' style of play and see if he could fit in.

The problem is there really is no place for Emerson Etem to be the player he's actually theoretically supposed to be. Not with Nash, Brassard, Zuccarello, Stepan, Kreider, Miller, Hayes, Fast, and Moore all being guaranteed locks coming into the season (that's 9 forwards already), plus Tanner Glass being Tanner Glass, and Jarret Stoll and Viktor Stalberg being pieces who were likely going to find key bottom 6 roles for themselves. If you're counting, that's 12, and I didn't even count Lindberg. So Etem didn't play much. And not playing meant he wasn't learning to adjust to AV's system. Which meant he wasn't getting any better. Which meant when he did play he wasn't very good. Which meant he sat some more.

Etem ended up playing in 19 out of 40 possible games, and in most of those games, he was relegated to the bottom line, playing with players like Tanner Glass and Jarret Stoll. Here are Etem's most common line combinations:

32.7% ETEM,EMERSON - MOORE,DOMINIC - STOLL,JARRET
28.7% ETEM,EMERSON - GLASS,TANNER - MOORE,DOMINIC
17.7% BRASSARD,DERICK - ETEM,EMERSON - ZUCCARELLO,MATS
11.4% ETEM,EMERSON - FAST,JESPER - STOLL,JARRET
9.5% ETEM,EMERSON - KREIDER,CHRIS - LINDBERG,OSCAR

Now keep in mind, I believe that Etem-Brassard-Zuccarello line only lasted ONE game, two tops. So that will tell you how little ice time he was getting that that game or two counts for nearly 18% of his TOI for the entire season. The only player to dress for the Rangers with less TOI per game this season is Tanner Glass, and that's probably partially because Tanner Glass is also somehow 4th on the team in penalty minutes even in that limited ice time.
(By the way, Emerson Etem only took one penalty all season. It was against Florida last weekend and resulted in a power play goal for the Panthers. Taking that penalty is the very last thing Etem did on the ice as a New York Ranger as he sat on the bench for the rest of that game.)
He wasn't playing because he didn't fit in, and he didn't fit in because he wasn't playing, and when he did play, he generally didn't have linemates who adequately complimented his theoretical skillset.

If it wasn't for Etem's waiver eligibility, he would have been in Hartford a long time ago. At least then he would have been playing, and the Wolf Pack actually play AV's style so that they can mesh well with the big boy Rangers when they actually got called up. That would have been way better for him, and Etem probably would have gotten the call this week to step in for Kreider instead of Megna (who probably would have already been on the team), and we almost certainly wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

So in a lot of ways, Etem's contractual circumstances are ultimately what doomed his time in New York.

And that's everything you need to know about why Emerson Etem sucked ass as a New York Ranger. It's also some of the reason why it's very plausible that he could be quite successful in some other environment.

Here's what I've heard about Jensen:

-has power forward size but plays soft (avoids corners)
-good offensive instincts (can snipe the puck)
-poor defensive play meant he was put in a bottom six role, and you can't score from a bottom six role
-he either wouldn't or couldn't develop his defensive game, has problems with work ethic and intensity
-is only 22 however, and could turn it around

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

-poor defensive play meant he was put in a bottom six role, and you can't score from a bottom six role
-he either wouldn't or couldn't develop his defensive game, has problems with work ethic and intensity

This sounds a lot like Etem, except Etem is 23.

Cake Boss

Banned

Alex Chiasson then.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Ok, let's go.

Etem came in and had a terrible training camp. Just a terrible, terrible camp. While other new forwards stood out like Lindberg, Megna, and Gibbons, Etem was practically invisible. He didn't seem to be a great fit for AV's system, or at the very least it wasn't how he was used to playing, so he was frequently out of position, not making plays, and generally being a non-factor when he wasn't actively being a liability. Lindberg was in his "last chance" training camp before the team was going to have to cut bait with him, and Megna and Gibbons were kind of under the radar off-season signings that nothing was expected of, and it was Etem's presumed spot on the roster that these guys were effectively fighting for. Oscar Lindberg ended up winning a full time roster spot hands down, and so it came down to Jayson Megna and Emerson Etem for the 13th forward position. If it was based solely on their preseason and camps, Megna would definitely have stayed, but both would need waivers to go to the AHL, and, between the two, only Etem likely would have attracted claims from other teams who had yet to set their roster, and there's no way the team was going to let anybody just claim the NHL return from the Hagelin trade right out of camp without trying to make it work first. So they were going to give him time to try to learn AV's system and adjust to the Rangers' style of play and see if he could fit in.

The problem is there really is no place for Emerson Etem to be the player he's actually theoretically supposed to be. Not with Nash, Brassard, Zuccarello, Stepan, Kreider, Miller, Hayes, Fast, and Moore all being guaranteed locks coming into the season (that's 9 forwards already), plus Tanner Glass being Tanner Glass, and Jarret Stoll and Viktor Stalberg being pieces who were likely going to find key bottom 6 roles for themselves. If you're counting, that's 12, and I didn't even count Lindberg. So Etem didn't play much. And not playing meant he wasn't learning to adjust to AV's system. Which meant he wasn't getting any better. Which meant when he did play he wasn't very good. Which meant he sat some more.

Etem ended up playing in 19 out of 40 possible games, and in most of those games, he was relegated to the bottom line, playing with players like Tanner Glass and Jarret Stoll. Here are Etem's most common line combinations:

32.7% ETEM,EMERSON - MOORE,DOMINIC - STOLL,JARRET
28.7% ETEM,EMERSON - GLASS,TANNER - MOORE,DOMINIC
17.7% BRASSARD,DERICK - ETEM,EMERSON - ZUCCARELLO,MATS
11.4% ETEM,EMERSON - FAST,JESPER - STOLL,JARRET
9.5% ETEM,EMERSON - KREIDER,CHRIS - LINDBERG,OSCAR

Now keep in mind, I believe that Etem-Brassard-Zuccarello line only lasted ONE game, two tops. So that will tell you how little ice time he was getting that that game or two counts for nearly 18% of his TOI for the entire season. The only player to dress for the Rangers with less TOI per game this season is Tanner Glass, and that's probably partially because Tanner Glass is also somehow 4th on the team in penalty minutes even in that limited ice time.
(By the way, Emerson Etem only took one penalty all season. It was against Florida last weekend and resulted in a power play goal for the Panthers. Taking that penalty is the very last thing Etem did on the ice as a New York Ranger as he sat on the bench for the rest of that game.)
He wasn't playing because he didn't fit in, and he didn't fit in because he wasn't playing, and when he did play, he generally didn't have linemates who adequately complimented his theoretical skillset.

If it wasn't for Etem's waiver eligibility, he would have been in Hartford a long time ago. At least then he would have been playing, and the Wolf Pack actually play AV's style so that they can mesh well with the big boy Rangers when they actually got called up. That would have been way better for him, and Etem probably would have gotten the call this week to step in for Kreider instead of Megna (who probably would have already been on the team), and we almost certainly wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

So in a lot of ways, Etem's contractual circumstances are ultimately what doomed his time in New York.

And that's everything you need to know about why Emerson Etem sucked ass as a New York Ranger. It's also some of the reason why it's very plausible that he could be quite successful in some other environment.

TL;DR he's not playing the white way

Stasis

Essentially we're getting a 6th out of Etem, which means we got Ryan Gropp and a 6th for Hagelin and Julius Nattinen, or whoever we would've picked 59th. Gropp pick was 42nd and the Rangers wanted him.

I would have preferred giving Etem more of a shot but for reasons very clearly outlined by Meta, that simply didn't/couldn't happen here. I think Etem can actually contribute to an NHL team, whilst what I'm hearing about Jensen is that he's barely AHL material. Time will tell on all fronts. Etem, Jensen, Gropp, Nattinen.

Either way, it's a whole lot of nothin' right now. Looking forward to see what real moves we make before the deadline, if any, and then the off-season.

zroid

Banned
FWIW Etem's PDO was like 96 or so, and remember the Rangers were riding some insane PDO early in the season so that definitely is something that might have raised AV's eyebrows back when he was still evaluating him.

Socreges

Banned
There you go Canucks.

I think Vancouver needs a guy like Etem.

and rags get a pick too?

Rangers won that.

Benning throwing around picks like candy

We still have that pick when we traded Prust to Vancouver.

Thanks Jim!

He sure does seem to trade away picks a lot

Lou needs to get in on some of those hot Vancouver picks

Why are the Canucks getting rid of draft picks? Shouldn't they be hoarding them instead?
.... it's a 7th rounder.

Last I checked, the 7th round comes after the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and possibly even 6th.

Though of course it does come before the 8th rd picks.

Glad Gormley cleared, but I really don't understand the Avs thinking there. Nate Guenin is probably the worst defenceman in recent memory and that's including Greg Zanon. He brings absolutely nothing to the table and is constantly a liability, how he retains a spot in the lineup is lunacy.

Stasis

.... it's a 7th rounder.

Last I checked, the 7th round comes after the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and possibly even 6th.

Though of course it does come before the 8th rd picks.

Well it's actually a 6th so it almost certainly comes before the 8th, and probably the 7th as well.

But your point is still valid. =P

Erdrick

Wait, Reimer and Hellebuyck (who? Jets?) lead the league in save percentage with .937?

Wut

Can't speak for Reimer and his tire fire of a team in front of him, but Hellebuyck is showing why he has been regarded as one of the top goalie prospects in the league. For a rookie, he's performed admirably well, considering how awful the Jets' defence has been this year. (And underwhelming as a whole when it comes to the team, itself.)

When Pavelec returns... Gonna be a tough choice as to whom remains. I'd say to go with Hellebuyck and Hutchinson, and see what we could get for him... but I also am not really wanting to give up on Pavs just yet. Hutch has had a bad year so far, but he's been very good for us overall. Would not want to lose him either.

It's a good problem to have, at least. If you can have solid goaltenders, It can make any team, no matter how bad elsewhere, competitive. Just look at Montreal with Price Vs. Without. Not saying they are bad at all, but the fact is, they are not the same dominant team without Price in net.

Top Bottom