• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2016 |OT| Road to the Matthews Draft Pick

Socreges

Banned
Drafting has been so much better with Tallon. Barkov has him looking like a genius in hindsight. We have a 3rd rounder t-2nd in team goals, 2nd, 4th, and 5th rounders currently in the lineup as regulars. Org has an actual development pipeline and has vets to support the kids.
To be fair, Barkov was never much of a gamble. Tallon was no doubt fixated on MacKinnon and wanted his 1st line C either way. I'm also thinking Drouin would have flourished in an organization that would give him good minutes and linemate, like the Panthers. Passing on Jones was smart in hindsight, though, considering you guys got Ekblad the next year.

KingBroly

Banned
Right now yes, they are peaking with planets aligned for an 11 game win streak. I don't think they are a division leading team, yet. Difference with the Flames/ Avs of previous years is that we are one of the best defenses in the league. The problem is that we play low event hockey, so there are limited chances, but always seem to be high % chances. I forgot who linked earlier ( think the new Kings fan) but the stats on expected save percentage based on high % chances has Luongo right at the median.

When I look at how they're playing, it makes me think of last year's Flames. If you told me they'd be upset in Round 1, I'd say "well, duh." Limited experience combined with low expectations means they're going to get to a point where they can't swim anymore. You can talk about Jagr and Luongo mentoring and holding down the fort, but it's only going to take you so far. In the Playoffs, those numbers you talked about are going to be their downfall because the entire game changes, whether people like it or not.

Cake Boss

Banned
AJ Jakubec ‏@AJonSports 31s31 seconds ago Ottawa, Ontario
AJ Jakubec Retweeted Joe Smith
Source tells me a deal involving Robby Fabbri for Jonathan Drouin is a serious possibility.

Take it for what its worth. Hes on TSNOttawa radio.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Booked my flight tickets the other day for my trip to Philly, and the game I'm going to will be the first game after the All Star break. I'd love to see Price, but I doubt they start him on the road.

Can't say I'd see why the Blues would make that deal.
Yeah, doesn't make much sense from Tampa's angle, unless it was part of a bigger deal involving Paraynko or something like that.

Cake Boss

Banned
Emerson Etem has not yet been traded by NYR. Trade could happen today. Then again, might not (insert snide remark here). NYR working at it.

If he's traded by NYR, a logical landing place could be VAN. Coach Willie Desjardins had Etem in the WHL with Medicine Hat. So we'll see.
Per Mackenzie.

Cowen for Etem pls.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Per Mackenzie.

Cowen for Etem pls.

Follow-up from McKenzie:

If he's traded by NYR, a logical landing place could be VAN. Coach Willie Desjardins had Etem in the WHL with Medicine Hat. So we'll see.

I've wanted Etem in Vancouver ever since seeing him play in the Dub, and wished he was part of the Kesler deal. Reuniting him with Shinkaruk, both of who played their best hockey together for Medicine Hat, could be interesting.

EDIT: False alarm:

Alain Vigneault says Emerson Etem has been assigned to AHL for conditioning #NYR

Erdrick

banned deservedly

Agreed 100%.

I've never, ever seen a post more wrong than that one. I hated Gretzky because he slaughtered us so badly in the 80's but I sure as hell acknowledge him as the greatest hockey player to have ever played the game. You could argue Lemieux might have approached him if he had been healthier but damn... That dude is so wrong about Gretzky, it's laughable. His passing wasn't that great?! Wtf? Is that poster from a parallel universe or something and saw stuff the rest of us didin't?

Just... Wow.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Agreed 100%.

I've never, ever seen a post more wrong than that one. I hated Gretzky because he slaughtered us so badly in the 80's but I sure as hell acknowledge him as the greatest hockey player to have ever played the game. You could argue Lemieux might have approached him if he had been healthier but damn... That dude is so wrong about Gretzky, it's laughable. His passing wasn't that great?! Wtf? Is that poster from a parallel universe or something and saw stuff the rest of us didin't?

Just... Wow.

My favourite part that at the same time he's trying to tear into Gretzky, he's also pointing out that his 2,800 points appeared effortless. Proof for, not against, his reputation.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
AV was asked how many more chances Etem will get to be with the Rangers, and AV's response was "we're sorting that out." So, yeah, he's definitely being traded. I presume the conditioning assignment is just to give him something to do in the event that nothing gets completed today.

Booked my flight tickets the other day for my trip to Philly, and the game I'm going to will be the first game after the All Star break. I'd love to see Price, but I doubt they start him on the road.

Other than seeing the game what are you doing in Philly? Or is that the only reason why you are goin?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Other than seeing the game what are you doing in Philly? Or is that the only reason why you are goin?
I have family in the area, just going to visit for a few days. Usually try to schedule it around the time the Habs play in the area whenever I'm down. First time I'll be at Wells Fargo though.

Gretzky, once and always, a Coyote.

th

4317534537_928fa35211.jpg

(This was not taken during a game. I swear. Well, maybe not at least).

imBask

Banned
I don't know, he probably generated a fuck ton of shots. His Corsi would be through the roof.

Not to mention that when he was on the ice the other team really didn't have the puck much. He was a great possession player (obviously). He was, like, the Canadian Sedin.

yeah but what about his turnover percentage in the faceoff circle in 5 on 3, in the 2nd period, between the 4th and 6th minute when he's eating gum?

like, do you guys even watch hockey?

I have family in the area, just going to visit for a few days. Usually try to schedule it around the time the Habs play in the area whenever I'm down. First time I'll be at Wells Fargo though.

Oh nice!

You will be there one time more than me then. I have never been to a home Flyers game. Been to a couple games in Dallas when they played the Flyers. But every time I go back to Philly is either after the season or they have been away.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Not to mention that when he was on the ice the other team really didn't have the puck much. He was a great possession player (obviously). He was, like, the Canadian Sedin.

That's only because all the other players sucked. If there had been better players, his numbers wouldn't have been so high. Geez.

Socreges

Banned
Wasn't Cassels one of the kids that shut down McDavid and all the Canucks fans we're losing their shit over?
Yes. Deservedly so. He was fantastic in the playoffs at both ends. He obviously hasn't adjusted well to the pro game in his first 26 games, but it looks like he's gotten very little TOI (might be wrong). He's pretty low on the depth chart so maybe they're embracing his mediocre start

I got it, but I have no idea how to play

Definitely took me a while to get a hang of it. Like, several hours' worth. And then I realized I set up my game wrong and had to start over. Three times. Like 20 hours down the drain.

But I have no regrets. I love that game. 93 hours played according to Steam right now. And if I wasn't trying and failing to get a hang of CS:GO, that number would be higher.

Top Bottom