• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Michel Bergeron on RDS saying he had inside sources that a deal would be done by Jan 1st with a Jan 10th start. WHERE HAVE I HEARD THIS BEFORE?

Also something about Pat Brisson working behind the scenes to force a compromise on both sides and strike a deal. AGAIN THIS SOUNDS SO FAMILIAR.

How will these players ever feed their families if they don't get back to work?!!?

edit: about WJC, it's nice to see hockey played on the bigger rinks, but that usually means international play, which means wonky hours :( Watching WJC in primetime at christmas with friends is tradition :(

For me it has become a tradition to watch late on new years eve, and yes all the girls at the place hate it and me for it.

calder

Listening to TSN1290 here in Winnipeg talking about Evander Kane killing all those people torching that hotel drunkenly punching a nun dumbly posing with some cash is making me want to kill myself.

Settle the fuck down Westwood, jesus. Don't make me switch to the TO station.

fallout

Listening to TSN1290 here in Winnipeg talking about Evander Kane killing all those people torching that hotel drunkenly punching a nun dumbly posing with some cash is making me want to kill myself.

Settle the fuck down Westwood, jesus. Don't make me switch to the TO station.
I've never really been able to listen to Jay and Westwood talk about anything for more than 5 minutes without getting annoyed and turning it off.

James Mirtle @mirtle

Daly says on FAN590 he expects players to overwhelmingly vote for the disclaimer of interest.

Also, apparently the 3 option vote thing was a mistranslation (referred to the options the players have not the options for the vote). Makes sense, requiring 2/3rds vote on 3 options is kind of weird.

calder

I've never really been able to listen to Jay and Westwood talk about anything for more than 5 minutes without getting annoyed and turning it off.

Rick Ralph and the Round Table are somehow even worse today. My god. I can't wait until Ralph completes his downward spiral and is working the AM shift at Swift Current.

Just announce an early January drop dead date at the "games cancelled through Jan 15" announcement. Everyone knows if Fehr wants a deal that's what he's waiting for.

Stasis

Michel Bergeron on RDS saying he had inside sources that a deal would be done by Jan 1st with a Jan 10th start. WHERE HAVE I HEARD THIS BEFORE?

Also something about Pat Brisson working behind the scenes to force a compromise on both sides and strike a deal. AGAIN THIS SOUNDS SO FAMILIAR.

Not even the other hosts of AC believe any of the nonsense Bergy spouts on a regular basis. Christ that man is annoying. Maybe some Nordiques die-hards still care about him.

I'd rather hockey be delayed even more than for him to be right because I'd be forced to acknowledge his existence for a while.

Brisson and other agents, on the other hand, I'm quite sure have been trying to fix this for a while. There's obviously a ton of stuff going on behind the scenes and definitely a bunch of people in the business who want this to end badly.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Kane is a fucking idiot for posting shit like that, does he not take think for a second about that?

Anyways Subban and Stamkos are having a Charity game that's been streamed for free at 7 tonight for those interested:

http://new.livestream.com/nhlpa/rbc

Team Subban Roster:
Chris Campoli, Carlo Colaiacovo, Tomas Kaberle, John-Michael Liles, P.K. Subban, Brad Boyes, David Clarkson, Logan Couture, Phil Kessel, Tom Kostopoulos, Matthew Lombardi, Joffrey Lupul Jay McClement, John Mitchell, Steve Ott, Peter Regin, Chris Stewart, Dan Winnik, Martin Biron

Michael Del Zotto, Mike Komisarek, Niklas Kronwall, Dion Phaneuf, Kyle Quincey, Dan Cleary, Tim Connolly, BJ Crombeen, Steve Downie, Chris Kelly, Mike Leighton, Clake MacArthur, Matt Martin, James Neal, Teddy Purcell, Steven Stamkos, David Steckel, Kris Versteeg, Wojtek Wolsk, Jonas Gustavsson

Have you been to Vegas? You don't tend to think about your actions while there, especially when you are drunk

Looking forward to the game tonight, it better be exciting, Kessel needs 10 donuts

Kane is a fucking idiot for posting shit like that, does he not take think for a second about that?

Anyways Subban and Stamkos are having a Charity game that's been streamed for free at 7 tonight for those interested:

http://new.livestream.com/nhlpa/rbc

Team Subban Roster:
Chris Campoli, Carlo Colaiacovo, Tomas Kaberle, John-Michael Liles, P.K. Subban, Brad Boyes, David Clarkson, Logan Couture, Phil Kessel, Tom Kostopoulos, Matthew Lombardi, Joffrey Lupul Jay McClement, John Mitchell, Steve Ott, Peter Regin, Chris Stewart, Dan Winnik, Martin Biron

Michael Del Zotto, Mike Komisarek, Niklas Kronwall, Dion Phaneuf, Kyle Quincey, Dan Cleary, Tim Connolly, BJ Crombeen, Steve Downie, Chris Kelly, Mike Leighton, Clake MacArthur, Matt Martin, James Neal, Teddy Purcell, Steven Stamkos, David Steckel, Kris Versteeg, Wojtek Wolsk, Jonas Gustavsson

Kessel AND Lupul? Subban 22 - Stamkos 5. All 5 Team Stamkos goals off Komisarek's foot

Nuklear

Banned
Hockey’s Wealth Redistribution Problem: What’s Really Behind The NHL Lockout

Good article by Time.

You may not have noticed that the NHL hasn’t started its season yet, which is arguably Problem #1 for the wannabe major league: Ice hockey is fourth in a three-horse race of pro team sports vying for the affection of casual U.S. fans. Problem #1A is the lockout of players that’s been in force since Sept. 15, which has resulted in the cancellation of nearly 550 regular-season games to date. But in the event you are following the inaction rinkside, don’t be fooled when league officials or anyone else claims that the main issue is greedy players. The real problem in hockey is not in the locker room, but in the owners’ suites and commissioner’s office.

The NHL would like you to believe that owners give too much money to players. That was management’s position almost a decade ago—the last time the league locked out its talent—when players were getting three-quarters of total revenues. After an entire season was voided, the NHL Players Association caved, agreeing to lower its members’ share of revenue to 57%. Peace and harmony have ensued since, but now the owners want an even bigger piece of the pie, claiming financial hardship.

Don’t believe them, not for a minute. First, as I’ve written about before, sports team accounting is misleading at best, given that club owners can claim to be losing money when a) the losses are on paper only; b) there are tax benefits from whatever losses happen to be real; and c) the value of their teams continue to rise.

And all NHL owners would be wise to recognize their own culpability ASAP, rather than engaging in more legal maneuvering. (At the moment, the league is busy filing lawsuits and complaints, while the NHLPA is trying to decertify itself, so players can sue owners for anti-trust violations.) The urgency is not because NHL fans will give up on the sport; hockey fans are absolute gluttons for abuse and incredibly desperate to watch pro hockey. (Seriously, check this out.) No, NHL owners should get their act together because their league faces something none of the other major sports do: Russia’s KHL, an aggressive and surly rival league that has long resented how many European players in general and Russians in particular choose to play in North America rather than staying on their home continent. The KHL’s finances, like most things Russian, are a little murky, so it’s hard to know if the league could seriously compete with the NHL for top talent in the long run. But a surprisingly large number of iced NHLers are now playing in the KHL while they wait out the lockout, including a lot of North Americans.

I fear the KHL might gain some traction too and I would hate for that to happen. I'm surprised the league hasn't entertained any European expansion(or move some failing franchises) to try and thwart the KHL a little. Put a team in London, Paris, and a couple other big European cities. I think you would have better shot of hockey catching on there than in the US South. Yes, those European cities aren't hotbeds for hockey but it can't fail any worse than the failure of the Southern expansion. I'm not sure how they would work out a schedule with European teams in the league. That would be a nightmare to schedule and might be too much to overcome.

Socreges

Banned
"If you watched any of the (HBO) 24/7 show (Mayweather, Jr.) did before his fight he did that a couple of times with 50 Cent and was just joking around phoning each other with some money. I just reached out to Floyd as a joke on Twitter. It really wasn’t meant for anybody else except Floyd but it just kinda blew up and took off."

"I guess some people have more of a sense of humour than others."

Marvie_3

Banned

Good article by Time.

I fear the KHL might gain some traction too and I would hate for that to happen. I'm surprised the league hasn't entertained any European expansion(or move some failing franchises) to try and thwart the KHL a little. Put a team in London, Paris, and a couple other big European cities. I think you would have better shot of hockey catching on there than in the US South. Yes, those European cities aren't hotbeds for hockey but it can't fail any worse than the failure of the Southern expansion. I'm not sure how they would work out a schedule with European teams in the league. That would be a nightmare to schedule and might be too much to overcome.
not happening

Good article by Time.

I agree with the first sentiment about the problem not being with the players. I still think that the NHL would have tried to hit the PA hard and got a higher share even though they had their 50 % from the beginning.

The KHL part however is something that I can´t agree on. First of, if NHL where to locate teams in Europe they would look at cities like Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Helsinki and Bern, London and Paris would just be insane. Hockey is a great sport and it has the ability to far outmatch other sports in places where the climate is fitting. But in other places it will just never be the same thing, If you haven´t grown up skating and stuff like that it is much harder to appreciate the game for what it is, and for many(not all of course) the game seems to become some kind of entertainment on the level of Wrestling. No love for the game, just money money(sadly the way sports is set up in NA doesn´t help eihter), big hits, fancy goals and fights.

And if they wen´t on to establish in these already "hockey loving" countries it would fail and it would do so horribly. The KHL can´t even compete for interest here in western Europe. a couple of years ago people were afraid of the KHL and there were talks about a big league centered in Western Europe, but the interest simply isn't there from the fans. Just like fans of the Leafs, Hawks or Canadiens. Our clubs have existed for a long long time, We have our established rivalries. I wan´t my team to play their rivals, the thing I care about is bringing one more championship home. Especially I wan´t to be able to go and see away game, we have a pretty nice culture of fans at away games. And I wouldn´t like to go to Bern or have a team from Vienna coming here.

Another argument that people had was that KHL would drain the Swedish league from talent, but now I am just saying wtf I don´t care. As people have been saying here, you cheer for the jersey, not the player on the back. We are already used to our very best leaving for NHL and it works anyway.

What establishing in Europe would lead to however, is a drop in quality for the North American NHL, and that wouldn´t be good for anyone. It would just seem like a really counterproductive way to try to stop the talent drain to Russia with adding talent drain to Western Europe, especially when I doubt that a major talent drain to Russia will take a really long time if it will happen at all. Some Russian players and prospects will stay for sure, but other then that a lot of stuff have to change, a lockout won´t be enough.

Red_Man

And? He should better then to post stuff like that, especially at a time like this. Even if it's a joke obviously it's going to be interpreted the wrong way, he should know better seeing as he's the face of a franchise. I'd be pissed if Subban did the same thing.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
And? He should better then to post stuff like that, especially at a time like this. Even if it's a joke obviously it's going to be interpreted the wrong way, he should know better seeing as he's the face of a franchise. I'd be pissed if Subban did the same thing.

Exactly. If they were playing and there was no lockout, I probably wouldn't give a shit, but since we are on the cusp of no hockey essentially because of greed it is a stupid tweet.

Red_Man

Bill Daly said yes when asked if there would be a season and he could only give a yes / no answer.

Socreges

Banned
Aaand you seemed to wonder why he wasn't thinking about the feelings of others. I also wanted to point out that Evander doesn't think you've got a sense of humour.

Bad optics. Context. I personally can't muster the effort to give a shit.

Red_Man said:
I'd be pissed if Subban did the same thing.
Interesting comment.

Have you been to Vegas? You don't tend to think about your actions while there, especially when you are drunk

Looking forward to the game tonight, it better be exciting, Kessel needs 10 donuts

I'll remember this next time I'm in Vegas and I tweet a picture of me killing a hooker. Absolved from all stupidity, it's Vegas!

Row

Banned
I think somebody did the math and it's between $200K to $250K

with that I'd pay off my student loans and live like a king for 4 years

I assumed this was sold out and didn't bother trying for tickets.....yet it looks empty.......I bet scalpers got all the tickets lol

It is also funny that below the ice people are shopping at Loblaws :p

Red_Man

I'm surprised at how empty it is too....MC trying to get people jacked but they don't seem that into it

Top Bottom