• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Such fucking bullshit the NHL overturned the Devils' penalty.

I would LOVE to hear the reasoning behind this.

Cagey

Banned
The penalty was utter bullshit from the get-go: invented for the Devils, applied only to the Devils (arbitrary and capricious?), absurdly punitive for the "crime" committed, and we're still going to get reamed on draft position barring some miracle run.

What a generous man Bettman is =/

EDIT: not to mention this is announced the day after the trade deadline, which is convenient.

The penalty was utter bullshit from the get-go: invented for the Devils, applied only to the Devils (arbitrary and capricious?), absurdly punitive for the "crime" committed, and we're still going to get reamed on draft position barring some miracle run.

What a generous man Bettman is =/

EDIT: not to mention this is announced the day after the trade deadline, which is convenient.

I love how you're acting as though cap circumvention is no big deal.

YES Loungo will wear his classic mask in game until he gets a new one. Sadly no yellow pads lol

BiDo0QOIQAAmJjD.jpg

He must have a shelf full of Canucks masks.

:(

I'm fine with the Devils penalties being softened. Cap circumvention was the name of the game for a lot of teams - look at Shea Weber's deal ffs.

I'm fine with the Devils penalties being softened. Cap circumvention was the name of the game for a lot of teams - look at Shea Weber's deal ffs.

True, that's the major issue here though. Consistency is not something the league has had under Bettman. They tried to use the Devils as an example of what would happen and were bluffing instead when they should have been enforcing the same punishment on other guilty GMs.

Curufinwe

It's not nearly as bad as the original Kovalchuk deal.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/07/here_are_the_official_numbers.html

2010-11: $6 million
2011-12: $6 million
2012-13: $11.5 million
2013-14: $11.5 million
2014-15: $11.5 million
2015-16: $11.5 million
2016-17: $11.5 million
2017-18: $10.5 million
2018-19: $8.5 million
2019-20: $6.5 million
2020-21: $3.5 Million
2021-22: $750,000
2022-23: $550,000
2023-24: $550,000
2024-25: $550,000
2025-26: $550,000
2026-27: $550,000

The contract represents a $6 million annual cap hit for the Devils.

Kovalchuk will be 44 years old on April 15, 2027.

Cagey

Banned
True, that's the major issue here though. Consistency is not something the league has had under Bettman. They tried to use the Devils as an example of what would happen and were bluffing instead when they should have been enforcing the same punishment on other guilty GMs. Going back on it now is not only revealing of the fact that the league has zero spine, it also has no integrity.

That's largely the point. That and the penalty being absurd in its severity compared to the crime, which would be terrible in a land where this conduct never happened, but instead it wound up an instance of one perpetrator being a mere one step beyond the others.

I found and still believe the penalty for the Devils, because the NHL decided to penalize one team for the conduct and levy a damn 1st round forfeiture penalty, was a joke. I wouldn't have had such a problem with the NHL's actions if the NHL (for example) levied a 4th round draft pick fine for the Hossa, Luongo deals and declared the Kovalchuk deal to be so bad it earned a 3rd rounder.

As it stood, a 1st round pick for the contract was insane. A 1st round pick when no other team received any penalty whatsoever for similar conduct took it to a whole new low.

Brooks Laich injured again.

Amnesty buyout pls.

Lineup against the Bruins:

Penner-Backis-Ovi
Brown-Mojo-Brouwer
Chimera-Fehr-Ward
Stoa-Beagle-Wilson

Alzner-Carlson
Hillen-Green
Schilling-Carrick

OH

MY

GOD

zArTRf6.jpg

Curufinwe

If I recall, the tail end of Pronger's contract was pretty gnarly as well.

Two years at the league minimum, but the Flyers are being punished for it. Around 7% of their cap space will be used on Pronger at the start of next season, and for two more seasons after that. It means they have $66m to put together a roster at the end of training camp instead of $71m.

Some people think LTIR is a get out of jail free card, but it's not.

I'll have to disagree that the punishment was too severe considering the terms of the contract, I don't have a problem with them going back on it now because it doesn't make much sense to enforce it on one team when multiple teams were involved -- even if other teams weren't signing things quite as egregious. I just have a problem with how the whole thing was handled and it's fucking pathetic that it came to this point. Ineptitude only begins to describe the Bettman era. Corruption as well.

Two years at the league minimum, but the Flyers are being punished for it. Around 7% of their cap space will be used on Pronger at the start of next season, and for two more seasons after that. It means they have $66m to put together a roster at the end of training camp instead of $71m.

Some people think LTIR is a get out of jail free card, but it's not.

Well who knows, maybe in an hour they'll announce that they're clearing Pronger from LTIR and giving Downie a brand new Hummer.

Peter Botte ‏@PeterBotte 12m
The NHL initially offered the Devils a Swedish prospect and a conditional second-round pick, but Lou typically found a better deal.

I'm angry at myself that it took me a minute to get this

It's not nearly as bad as the original Kovalchuk deal.

I disagree that there's a significant 'badness' gap between the 2 deals. They're both completely ridiculous contracts that violate the spirit of the CBA, as it were.

New Jersey was punished because they pushed the practice past the arbitrary line in the sand Bettman and co. had set up. Pronger's deal has him playing till 43 and making the league minimum for the final 3 years (575k if capgeek is right!). Yet the league saw no issue with that, but took serious issue with the Devils offering Kovalchuk more money and 1 extra year.

Curufinwe

I disagree that there's a significant 'badness' gap between the 2 deals. They're both completely ridiculous contracts that violate the spirit of the CBA, as it were.

New Jersey was punished because they pushed the practice past the arbitrary line in the sand Bettman and co. had set up. Pronger's deal has him playing till 43 and making the league minimum for the final 3 years (575k if capgeek is right!). Yet the league saw no issue with that, but took serious issue with the Devils offering Kovalchuk more money and 1 extra year.

Pronger's deal had two phony years at the end, and he would have been 42 when it ended in April, 2017.

Kovalchuk's had six phony years and he would have been 44 when it ended in April, 2027.

A 17 year deal with six phony years at the end is clearly a lot worse than a seven year deal with two phony years at the end.

fallout

A 17 year deal with six phony years at the end is clearly a lot worse than a seven year deal with two phony years at the end.
Sure, but that doesn't make the line or the punishments any less arbitrary. The NHL didn't have any suitable plans in place to deal with this kind of shit.

Sure, but that doesn't make the line or the punishments any less arbitrary. The NHL didn't have any suitable plans in place to deal with this kind of shit.

Yep, they just slapped something together and chose NJ as the one to get stuck with it because they were making the biggest fools out of Bettman & co at the time. What age does senility typically begin to set in? Can't be much longer now.

Acid08

Banned
Dangan Ronpa is totally fucking nuts and stressful and fun. If you have a Vita and like the Ace Attorney games, give it a shot.

Parise - Granlund - Pominville
Moulson - Koivu - Coyle
Cooke - Brodziak - Nino
Heatley - Haula - McCormick

Gat dayum.

Michael Russo
Bryzgalov said his first #mnwild practice was difficult because it was a "way faster pace" than he's used to in Edmonton

lol Edmonton

Kave Man learning to play hockey update:

Found a decent pair of "beginner" skates to purchase at Canadian Tire. My gym has a rink so I'll probably test drive them this weekend.

Cool! Keep the updates coming so I remember to give it a shot.

I've been trying to get my skating down on my own before I look for some kind of basic lessons.

You've got a guy named 'Haula'?

Erik Haula. Born in Finland, came over to Minnesota to play at Shattuck(where Crosby, MacKinnon, and others played), then went on to have three fantastic years at the University of Minnesota, where he was very close to a career PPG. He's been very good in the AHL and pretty fun to watch in the NHL.

All for a 7th round draft pick.

Top Bottom