• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

pringles

Expected no Datsyuk, but it sucks that Alfie is out. Now Bert is in and we only have 2 lines of offense. Going to be a massacre out there.
Yeah we really had 3 deadly scoring lines up until now...

... but seriously, alfie's been invisible. better he sits and gets healthy. Bert is awful but we'd be underdogs to win no matter our lineup. Any points tonight is a bonus.

MacAttack

Hey Bruins, can you guys take it easy on another original 6 team today and give us a point (we'll let you win in OT or a SO).

Sincerely,

A Wings fan who doesn't want to jump off a bridge yet

Anything for an O6 bro.

But seriously, I'd like to see Detroit in the playoffs just not against the Bruins. Keep them in that #1 WC spot so they give Pittsburgh a scare in the first round.

Alternatively, maybe Philly could lose a few games and drop into the WC1 spot.

Solo

So............

KESSELLLLLLLLL - 36 goals - 8 more years at $8M
Pacioretty - 35 goals - 5 more years at $4.5M

VGNX2.gif

Sanjuro

Anything for an O6 bro.

But seriously, I'd like to see Detroit in the playoffs just not against the Bruins. Keep them in that #1 WC spot so they give Pittsburgh a scare in the first round.

Alternatively, maybe Philly could lose a few games and drop into the WC1 spot.

Be careful. That 06 talk be fighting words around here.

The way I look at it, I rather face any other team in the Eastern Conference than the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Solo

Kessel -77 points
Paciorettt - 54

Not even comparable, Kessel is a very underrated playmaker.

Fuck assists homie. Kessel is known as a goal scorer and so is Pacioretty. Just doing an apples to apples comparison of that stat. St. David steals all the assists anyways.

Samyy

Fuck assists homie. Kessel is known as a goal scorer and so is Pacioretty. Just doing an apples to apples comparison of that stat. St. David steals all the assists anyways.

Pacioretty is one dimensional and Kessel is dynamic. He's at a ppg pace over the last 3 years.

Pacioretty is not even in the same discussion, only ever seen the upside of 60 once.

Kessel -77 points
Paciorettt - 54

Not even comparable, Kessel is a very underrated playmaker.

Also Kessel has had 30 goals in his last five seasons (shortened season doesn't count, he would have hit it). Pacioretti has been far less consistent.

Him and JVR would be a good comparable though.

Assists don't count because Pacs doesn't get any?

Sanjuro

Who do you think will ride the pine in the playoffs? I feel like Meszaros will be the odd man out to start.

Based on his play in comparison, I'd almost want Hamilton in that spot.

Both Meszaros and Miller have been playing great as role-players, but it's probably going to be one of the two that find themselves largely off the ice.

MacAttack

Be careful. That 06 talk be fighting words around here.

The way I look at it, I rather face any other team in the Eastern Conference than the Columbus Blue Jackets.

O6 4 LYFE!!11!!

I dont want to see the Pens getting the BJ's and sweeping them in the first round. I feel like the Pens will be out for blood in a series against the Bruins after last years debacle and dont want them to start rolling.

Solo

Assists don't count because Pacs doesn't get any?

Kessel's career goals (221) : assists (235) - 0.94
Pacioretty's career goals(103) : assists (104) - 0.99

Not that far off.

Also if you take each player's career PPG and extrapolate it over an 82 game season:

Kessel - 64 points
Pacioretty - 54 points

Kessel's is higher of course. But is 10 points worth $3.5M more?

Sanjuro

O6 4 LYFE!!11!!

I dont want to see the Pens getting the BJ's and sweeping them in the first round. I feel like the Pens will be out for blood in a series against the Bruins after last years debacle and dont want them to start rolling.

OUT FOR BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

846615877.gif

No, I mean he is really out for blood. He bladed incorrectly and had to go to the hospital.

Yeah we really had 3 deadly scoring lines up until now...

... but seriously, alfie's been invisible. better he sits and gets healthy. Bert is awful but we'd be underdogs to win no matter our lineup. Any points tonight is a bonus.

I thought a scoring line meant whether they are out there to score goals or get scored on.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ryan McDonagh is traveling with the team to Colorado, and that's the only update the Rangers are expected to give today. Typical.

Pacioretty's career goals(103) : assists (104) - 0.99

Not that far off.

Want to compare points per game over their careers?

Edit: you're overlooking that he's played almost 300 more games in the league, and has been awfully consistent and healthy in those games. So yeah, I'd pay more for that. Only a couple guys like that out there.

Solo

Edit: you're overlooking that he's played almost 300 more games in the league, and has been awfully consistent and healthy in those games. So yeah, I'd pay more for that. Only a couple guys like that out there.

Injuries have definitely hampered Max's games played and production, and likely will continue ti over his career. No argument there and its a shame. I'm also not trying to put Max on or above Kessel's level. Clearly he is one notch below.

But I do think Max is a fucking steal/one of the best deals in the entire NHL at $4.5M for 5 more seasons. And Kessel will be 34 at the end of his deal. Max will only be 30.

Injuries have definitely hampered Max's games played and production, and likely will continue ti over his career. No argument there and its a shame. I'm also not trying to put Max on or above Kessel's level. Clearly he is one notch below.

But I do think Max is a fucking steal/one of the best deals in the entire NHL at $4.5M for 5 more seasons.

That's why I said JVR would be a great player to compare him to ;)

Actually they are really comparable. Age, games, points, cap hit.

Solo

That's why I said JVR would be a great player to compare him to ;)

Actually they are really comparable. Age, games, points, cap hit.

Threw him in:

Pacioretty's career goals (103) : assists (104) - 0.99
JVR's career goals (94) : assists (95) - 0.99

Also if you take each player's career PPG and extrapolate it over an 82 game season:

Kessel (456 points in 581 games = 0.78 ppg) - 64 points
Pacioretty(207 points in 314 games = 0.66 ppg) - 54 points
JVR (189 points in 319 games = 0.59 ppg) - 49 points

Contracts:

Kessel: 8 x $8m
Pacioretty: 5 x $4.5m
JVR: 5 x $4.25m

So Patches gets 5 more points a season than JVR and is worth $0.25M more. Kessel gets 10 more points than Pacioretty and is worth $3.5M more.

Threw him in:

Pacioretty's career goals (103) : assists (104) - 0.99
JVR's career goals (94) : assists (95) - 0.99

Kessel (456 points in 581 games = 0.78 ppg) - 64 points
Pacioretty(207 points in 314 games = 0.66 ppg) - 54 points
JVR (189 points in 319 games = 0.59 ppg) - 49 points

Contracts:

Kessel: 8 x $8m
Pacioretty: 5 x $4.5m
JVR: 5 x $4.25m

To be fair, you should be comparing it against the 5.5(?) Kessel was making as an RFA

Solo

To be fair, you should be comparing it against the 5.5(?) Kessel was making as an RFA

Perhaps so.......but all 3 are within 2 years of eachother and making $40M, $22.5M, and $21.25M each over the next 5 years.

All of this is to say.....Kessel really needs to keep his production up.

Perhaps so.......but all 3 are within 2 years of eachother and making $40M, $22.5M, and $21.25M each over the next 5 years.

I think he will. He doesn't play in the areas you get injured in lol

yyzjohn

Banned

Kessel has been a point a game player for 3 seasons now and just entering his prime, there's no question that he can keep it up for at least the next 4-5 years, who knows after that.

That's good but pretty vague. Makes it seem like it's still kinda serious

http://nypost.com/2014/04/02/rangers-mcdonagh-has-no-structural-damage-to-shoulder/

the club’s invaluable defenseman escaped serious damage when his left shoulder was plowed into the boards by the Canucks’ Alexandre Burrows in the final minute of Tuesday’s 3-1 victory.

http://nypost.com/2014/04/02/rangers-mcdonagh-has-no-structural-damage-to-shoulder/

“It’s not serious,” a Rangers spokesman said
http://nypost.com/2014/04/02/marty-st-louis-first-rangers-goal-helps-secure-victory/

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah not out of the woods yet with him but at least that's something

That same article by Brooks also says that McDonagh is out indefinitely. I'm just going to assume/hope he actually does mean "indefinitely" as in "no defined timeline yet," as opposed to a Chris Kreider "indefinitely" meaning "see you next season sometime."

McDonagh was still being looked at by the trainers long after the media had already left the locker room last night, and he left the arena with his arm in a sling, so it can't be too good either. Hopefully it's just a really bad bruise that simply needs a few days to heal up.

Sanjuro

He did?

Unless I missed something, I remember him saying something along the line that Murray just became a perfect fit for Boston but that was hardly justifying his hit.

He is just a troll poster, not much substance. That statement does nothing more than misdirect the blame and bait.

Toews out for the rest of the regular season.

Is that precautionary, or the time table we're looking at?

Top Bottom