• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

Three consecutive playoff-outs against the later Stanley Cup Champion (Hawks, Boston, LA) was our window.

Is Mike Gillis fired yet?

Mike Gillis has been fired, but he was replaced with that thing Gillis calls a beard.

For the first time in forever, I've actually said fuck yeaah when they announced the vanek trade.

I heard Schuey actually got up from his rocking chair, kind of like when Charlie Bucket's grandpa got out of bed for the golden ticket.

Curufinwe

Meszaros was traded to Boston Wednesday for a conditional 2014 third round pick. The third round pick becomes a second rounder if Boston reaches the Conference Finals and Meszaros plays in at least 2/3 of all of the Bruins 2014 Playoff games or if Boston re-signs Meszaros to a contract before the start of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

If neither condition is met, it remains a third rounder but if Boston signs Meszaros after the start of the 2014 NHL entry draft for the 2014-15 season, the Flyers pick up an additional fourth round pick from Boston in 2015.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=26860

Stasis

That's a pretty cheap price for Vanek for the playoff push/run for the Habs.

He's obviously not gonna stick around past this year, I'd say to like 90% probability, but I still think that's the definition of a great rental acquisition. He'll play well under that pressure and it didn't cost much at all.

I was thinking Tinordi or Beaulieu would be the prospect.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Pens view on Kesler:

Rob Rossi ✔ @RobRossi_Trib
Follow
To be clear, #pens feel Vancouver ownership nixed trade that would have sent Kesler to Pittsburgh.

Canucks view on Kesler:

David Ebner ✔ @DavidEbner
Follow
Penguins offers for Kesler were parts of a player-prospects-pick but never the whole trifecta. Canucks decide to wait.

Tempted to believe the Canucks-based reports more. I blame Gillis for everything.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Did I miss the Red Man knob slobbing of Vanek yet?

I'm serious I love when he defends Habs players, so much fiery passion.

Levyne

Banned
Even for a casual fan like myself, some of the trades seem bizarre to me, like luongo to the panthers, and the Callahan/St Louis swap.

Looks like the Blackhawks didn't do much?

Razorskin

----- ------
That's a pretty cheap price for Vanek for the playoff push/run for the Habs.

He's obviously not gonna stick around past this year, I'd say to like 90% probability, but I still think that's the definition of a great rental acquisition. He'll play well under that pressure and it didn't cost much at all.

I'm still holding out hope we sign him... But I know it's not likely.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

A4RGG_zps764314d2.gif

Stasis

I'm still holding out hope we sign him... But I know it's not likely.

I'm sure they'll try but Minny has like $ 13+ M coming off the books in the Summer. Close to $11M from Heatley and Moulson alone. You know Moulson was just a stopgap until they run at Vanek, and Vanek is from the area (kinda) and is really close to Pominville.

I live in Montreal. I love it here. I know it can be charming... but I just don't see it. I don't even think extra term or money sways him off a Minny offer unless it's outrageous, or Minny doesn't offer for some random reason.

edit: Personally I'm just looking forward to NHL14 playoff series with my friends/neighbors (like 3 of my neighbors are NHL addicts, lol) with the additions of MSL and Vanek to the dynamic. Will be fun.

Pens view on Kesler:

Rob Rossi ✔ @RobRossi_Trib
Follow
To be clear, #pens feel Vancouver ownership nixed trade that would have sent Kesler to Pittsburgh.

Canucks view on Kesler:

David Ebner ✔ @DavidEbner
Follow
Penguins offers for Kesler were parts of a player-prospects-pick but never the whole trifecta. Canucks decide to wait.

Tempted to believe the Canucks-based reports more. I blame Gillis for everything.

It's all because of the Luongo trade. Teams likely thought the Canucks would be in full selling mode so they lowballed. That's probably why Edler wasn't moved either.

Basically Gillis is saying "we're going to rebuild, but we won't dump everyone for peanuts right away."

My bet is Kesler is moved in the offseason, but other teams likely know that and will lowball/wait. Maybe he gets injured, his production/value drops, and before you know it he's a pending UFA and will be worth what Vanek got. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Also I think the significant return for Miller (an aging pending UFA) set a precedent that other teams weren't willing to match. That could be why you saw players like Gagner, Cammalleri, and Brodeur stay put.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 22m

#RedWings prospect C Calle Jarnkrok (to NSH) expendable because behind Sheahan, Andersson. Way down depth chart

LOLOLOLOLOL

Silexx

I'm fine with the moves the Sens made today. Hemsky is very low risk and may even able stabilize the Top 6 (fat chance).

But perhaps the most important deal today was the re-signing of...

(Kinda) REAL CANADIAN HERO CHRIS PHILLIPS!!!

chris-phillips-2009-9-12-16-14-3.jpg

Has an ok looking wife!

76d90a74d97b4f0f1a93a89d23a506bb.jpeg

Is a first overall draft pick!

090604_phillips.jpg

Scores goals and usually makes the team win!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdPgsZDErMA

Sometimes against his own team!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UezvSyvpIvM

Is a role model for young defencemen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzVKyAyD2jc

(Kinda) Real Canadian Hero Chris Phillips! Senator for two more years!

Bh_Wwb5CcAAjfJo.jpg

Well I had a rage induced post ready but I think I have just completely given up on this team's management. So a big screw you to them and this team right now is all I have, this season is already lost and today pretty much sealed that. If Holland expects Legwand to save our playoff hopes in exchange for our top center prospect (even with all of our other injuries). He deserves the faith that will happen to this team this year. Screw Holland and this team.

If MacDonald fits well and sticks around without ungodly overpayment, not a bad deadline for the Flyers.

I was a little surprised to see Jarnkrok moved. He'd been on my radar as someone I was hoping Philly'd look at for his draft. Wings didn't like him? He and Frk were my favorite of their prospects.

When i first saw the järnkrok trade i couldbt stop laughing, but then i saw the rumours about him returning and now i cant stop masturbating!

Smh at vanek trade.
I dont know is this is a joke or not, but he used to be an extremet promising offensive dman prospect. His last year in Sweden was surras with almost a point per game, most assist in the league and award as best dman. But since he came over he has had it really tough and has almost become a joke. I still like the signing though. Big upside but the chance is low that he breakes in.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Just ran into the NHL Revealed crew. Guess they're here to cover the big Rangers' and Leafs' trade stories.

Err, well, the Rangers' trade stories.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
When i first saw the järnkrok trade i couldbt stop laughing, but then i saw the rumours about him returning and now i cant stop masturbating!

Smh at vanek trade.

I dont know is this is a joke or not, but he used to be an extremet promising offensive dman prospect. His last year in Sweden was surras with almost a point per game, most assist in the league and award as best dman. But since he came over he has had it really tough and has almost become a joke. I still like the signing though. Big upside but the chance is low that he breakes in.

What's your opinion on Lack, Eriksson and Markstrom all on the same team, with Lack and Eriksson both having been backups for Markstrom for Brynas? :p

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Well I had a rage induced post ready but I think I have just completely given up on this team's management. So a big screw you to them and this team right now is all I have, this season is already lost and today pretty much sealed that. If Holland expects Legwand to save our playoff hopes in exchange for our top center prospect (even with all of our other injuries). He deserves the faith that will happen to this team this year. Screw Holland and this team.
So you on the Anaheim Teemu second Cup wagon too?

Levyne

Banned

Smh at vanek trade.

Nope, I really didn't know. Thanks for the info!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
For the first time in forever, I've actually said fuck yeaah when they announced the vanek trade.
Same, I had TSN on in the background and heard it and said "What the fuck" out loud

Tinordi is pretty much an untouchable, and the only way I see Beaulieu included in a package is for a top winger with a few years on their contract already.

ibkznDUYJH7a19.jpg

This is a legit fleecing, Habs fans haven't had one in a long time alright.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Do you think Sather overpaid for MSL? Callahan, a 1st, and a 2nd is quite steep, even for a 38-year-old reigning Art Ross winner.
The 1st rounder in 2015 seems too much. If it wasn't for that I'd say it's perfectly fine.

It's really going to depend on how the team reacts. This trade could either turn out amazing or disastrous.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The 1st rounder in 2015 seems too much. If it wasn't for that I'd say it's perfectly fine.

It's really going to depend on how the team reacts. This trade could either turn out amazing or disastrous.
Imagine if the Lightning somehow got the 1st overall from that...

Top Bottom