• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2017 |OT| All in

Draper, the ultimate plug.

I like the part where he left out the fact that he moped about the hit for months on end, and said that Claude's helmet just "popped off" when McCarty jumped him. Nah, he ripped it off and tried to rabbit punch Lemieux in the back of the head.

Other than that though, a fine article.

A look at the most recent Leafs playoff chances:

C694rWYW0AAAo0M

Props to Active Stick on twitter.

Merguson

Banned

It's not just that, characters are either bland or unlikable. Combat zones are annoying, I think the automatic cover works, but at some points there's no obvious cover and the combat arena is a mess. Some of it just feels weird too. There's this Krogan that sounds nothing like a Krogan, and looks smaller than his species should, could be something behind that (haven't talked to him yet). It still feels kind of like Mass Effect, but it's like a fever dream version of Mass Effect.

Fight me Marvie!

isn't that a female krogan?

imBask

Banned
-hangs out at the Montreal Beach Club over the summer, internationally known as douchebag HQ, steroids heaven
-Suddenly a 40 goal scorer
-Plays for a weak ass Bruins team
-Protected by the league (as seen in the slewfoot incident)

i'm just sayin

Foggy

-hangs out at the Montreal Beach Club over the summer, internationally known as douchebag HQ, steroids heaven
-Suddenly a 40 goal scorer
-Plays for a weak ass Bruins team
-Protected by the league (as seen in the slewfoot incident)

i'm just sayin

I heard the Montreal Beach Club was run by a shadowy underworld figure named Señor Price

calder

I don't own a Switch and likely never will but daaaaaaamn thank you BotW for giving rise to a new generation of insane Nintendo fans. These threads are fucking gold, can't get enough of reading about the Generation Defining WiiU and the Industry Moving N64.

This thread is almost as good as the one about Nintendo inventing using pictures in a game to find stuff. Impossible innovation!

Silexx

Well time to stay out of Gaming for a while. Mass Effect thread trash fires aren't going to be slowing down anytime soon.

I don't own a Switch and likely never will but daaaaaaamn thank you BotW for giving rise to a new generation of insane Nintendo fans. These threads are fucking gold, can't get enough of reading about the Generation Defining WiiU and the Industry Moving N64.

This thread is almost as good as the one about Nintendo inventing using pictures in a game to find stuff. Impossible innovation!

There's another one?

The thread about Nintendo inventing a mechanic that's been a staple in almost every open-world game since 2006 was fantastic.

calder

PRAISE YOST!

If there’s one truth about the 2016-17 NHL season, it’s that the Winnipeg Jets have been the league’s biggest disappointment.

I’m not sure how they’ve skirted greater national criticism with this year’s 78-point pace showing, but they have. It’s perplexing, considering the following:

- In 2015-16, they both outshot (51.3 per cent) and outscored their opposition at 5-on-5 (50.3 per cent)

- The Western Conference – primarily by way of St. Louis, Dallas, Los Angeles, Anaheim, and Vancouver all taking steps back and Arizona and Colorado being completely uncompetitive – has turned into a gigantic mess of mediocrity

- The team’s roster has held reasonably constant, with the only notable changes coming in the form of big developmental payoffs from Mark Scheifele and Nikolaj Ehlers, plus the addition of superstar winger Patrik Laine (This line, new to the Jets in 2016-17, has scored 57 per cent of goals when together)

That all seems like a recipe for success, doesn’t it? The only job the Jets had was to hold tight at 5-on-5 and try to figure out their goaltending – an issue that probably single-handedly sunk their playoff chances in the year prior.

I think all of the above points are interesting in retrospect, and I wonder if the Jets front office is quietly kicking and screaming about how they handled the off-season. In a league where basically 26 NHL franchises think they have a shot at a postseason berth in the summer, the Jets were extremely conservative.

Internally, they have to be struggling with that. No one could have expected their trio of young forwards to be so dominant. No one could have predicted the collapse of the middle of the Western Conference.

The Jets are staring down another season without a Game 83. Not only will the team fail to make the playoffs, the underlying numbers suggest that they have taken a considerable step back in performance.

Consider the below year-over-year numbers for what we would deem to be key performance metrics. They aren’t encouraging:
yost1.png

Here’s the scary part: Where, exactly, has this team improved? The only category that saw positive change at 5-on-5 was team shooting percentage. Although I think Laine individually can sustain some of the crazy stuff he’s doing, this isn’t exactly the statistic you want to hang your hat on. Time after time, we see team shooting percentages regress sharply to league averages, which means a chunk of that improvement is probably fleeting.

Everything else is a repeatable skill. And in every facet, they’ve degraded. As a skating unit, they’ve moved from pretty respectable to below league average without changing much of the roster. Their goaltending, despite being pretty terrible last season, has somehow worsened with time.

The special teams have technically improved, but that’s sort of stretching things. We are talking about basically a one-goal improvement in each area – the year-over-year delta is essentially zero. At the end of the day, they still are a poor special teams bunch.

Which means: They don’t skate very well at 5-on-5, they can’t get a save, their power play can’t bail them out, and many of the penalties they do take will likely end up in goals against.

So, what’s Winnipeg’s next step here? The first order of business, as it was in the Atlanta Thrashers era of this franchise, is to find a goaltender. Connor Hellebuyck seems like a piece, but there are questions about his value – his 90.7 per cent stop rate isn’t nearly good enough for starter duties just yet, but maybe there’s development to come for the 23-year-old. Michael Hutchinson and Ondrej Pavelec have been dreadful this season and it seems like there’s little path forward for either of them in Winnipeg.

There are names available, and whichever one you pick out of a hat is almost a certainty an upgrade over the status quo. Ben Bishop, Brian Elliott, Chad Johnson, and Jonathan Bernier are all unrestricted, and will vary in expense. Regardless, an upgrade is absolutely necessary here. It’s worth mentioning that last year’s Jets team would have conceded about 27 less goals with average goaltending, turning their differential from about -24 to +3. This year’s more disparate: The Hutchinson, Pavelec, and Hellebuyck combination has already cost the team 35 goals against league average, and there’s still a bunch of games left.

You can take a decent run at the skaters too. I certainly subscribe to the notion that they could use at least one more defender and replacements for guys like Chris Thorburn and Brandon Tanev in their bottom six. But at the end of the day, the talent at the skater level, though underperforming, seems like it’s mostly in place.

If I’m a Jets executive and think my roster has ample talent, I wonder if my current coaching staff is getting enough out of it. The Jets were interested in extending a couple of months ago, but Maurice decided to put negotiations on hold. It’ll be fascinating to see if the extension talks heat up as the season winds down, or if Winnipeg management will have a change of heart.

Considering their performance this year, I’d say that’s a possibility.

Mass Effect seems fine but has jank. I think people were exaggerating about some things, though the dialogue and VO are definitely rough.
Agreed, I think exploring planets will be fun. Game still feels a bit off. Characters aren't nearly as likeable compared to the original trilogy.

The hate this game recieves on gaming side is pretty crazy.

isn't that a female krogan?
That would make sense, though Eve wasn't small, nor did she sound so weird. I didn't even think about it though as Eve was the only interaction with a female Krogan before. Kret also sounds masculine, but what do I know about Krogan naming conventions?

My favorite Nintendo fan moment was the guy saying Wii U games shouldn't be ported over to Switch because new Switch adopters weren't loyal or some such nonsense.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
It's going to be 4 or 5 year deal. I don't think Radulov for eight years would be good for the cap or the future of the club.

For Vegas, Bergevin should be on his knees begging McPhee to take Plekanec and Emelin away from us.

I could have sworn they were both Free Agents this summer.

😦

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Jesper Fast and Dan Girardi both returned to practice in regular jerseys today. Klein on after practice in no contact jersey.

Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello
Miller-Zibanejad-Nash
Grabner-Hayes-Fast
Vesey-Lindberg-Glass
Extras: Buchnevich, Pirri, Puempel

Staal-McDonagh
Smith-Holden
Skjei-Kampfer
Clendening-Girardi

I have several questions. Though nothing is a surprise here.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
"I thought about my legacy as one of the greatest pranksters — sorry, prank artists — in Canucks history: Putting BBQ sauce in the chocolate sauce bottle at the dessert bar … installing padlocks on rookies’ suitcases during long East Coast road trips … stealing a rookie’s phone and switching his best bud’s number to the number of our team president, Trevor Linden. The list goes on and on."

Burrows :lol

Also that Blackhawks part and the kids part... goosebumps

Top Bottom