• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2017 |OT| All in

Solo

I don't care who Habs play first round, be it Rangers, Leafs, Sens, Bruins, Isles or Lightning. All of those series would be good, and all would be a coin toss.

Cactus

Banned
Creeper, this is motherfucking war.

bef9b09352915e304350275089253a4f.jpg

Solo

In terms of rivalry/entertainment, everyone except the Isles makes for an entertaining as hell matchup for the Habs.

- Bruins speaks for itself, the Habs' biggest rival, they've played 17 playoff rounds in my 34 years on this planet, most recently the Habs eliminated the Bruins in the 2014 playoffs
- Sens eliminated the Habs in the 2013 playoffs, Habs eliminated the Sens in the 2015 playoffs
- Tampa was eliminated by the Habs in the 2014 playoffs and eliminated the Habs in the 2015 playoffs
- Rangers eliminated the Habs in the 2014 playoffs and there's the Krieder stuff
- Leafs.....well, okay nothing has happened here in 40+ years, but I have to think that a Leafs/Habs playoff series would draw the biggest ratings ever in Canada

Every single one of these matchups is awesome. And if the Habs could manage to beat one of them in the first round, they'd play another one in the second round. Could be some memorable series this year.

yyzjohn

Banned
- Leafs.....well, okay nothing has happened here in 40+ years, but I have to think that a Leafs/Habs playoff series would draw the biggest ratings ever in Canada

Imagine the erections on the execs over at Rogers and TSN. Also the despair from the rest of Canada as no other Canadian team is even covered during the first round.

"Here's your 2 hour post game coverage on this Leafs/Habs game 1..."

eyeless

o'sullivan is dumb but these tweets lmao
Hyman has played every game with Matthews. He has 2 even strength goals in the last 40 gms. Last goal Matthews assisted on was 3 months ago.
Hyman who "always gets Matthews the puck" has 16 assists. Matt Hunwick has 14.
Matthews is 13th for center man scoring in the entire NHL. Hyman is 65th in left winger scoring.
really is amazing that babs won't even once try switching hyman out

i like hyman he's a good forechecker but he has zero offensive skill, actually kills me that he both cannot pass and also can't finish, if he could even do one i'd be happy

what would it hurt babs to try something different once, hyman has 2 points in his past 18 games what exactly is he clinging to

imBask

Banned
yeah i'm sure the TSN/SN coverage would be fair and square and unbiased

"Here's your 2 hour post game coverage on Auston Matthews post game shower"

yyzjohn

Banned
o'sullivan is dumb but these tweets lmaoreally is amazing that babs won't even once try switching hyman out

i like hyman he's a good forechecker but he has zero offensive skill, actually kills me that he both cannot pass and also can't finish, if he could even do one i'd be happy

what would it hurt babs to try something different once, hyman has 2 points in his past 18 games what exactly is he clinging to

That's why Matthews upside is so good. He's produced amazingly well for his first season despite carrying a scrub all year long. Even with this slump he's in it's been a great season offensively.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
o'sullivan is dumb but these tweets lmaoreally is amazing that babs won't even once try switching hyman out

Sundin had Hoglund.

Kessel had Bozak.

Matthews now has Hyman.

It's a Leafs tradition to put a complete stiff with the best player.

imBask

Banned
I had a cat for 4 days
That cat was broken and required an infinite amount of attention
I had a panic attack

an original story well documented on the Official NHL-GAF Discord™

Team standard poodle.

o'sullivan is dumb but these tweets lmao [snip] really is amazing that babs won't even once try switching hyman out

I agree, but to be fair to Hyman, he's often playing against top pairing/top-6 lines.

And I don't know who you'd swap him out for. Imagine how he'd play on a line without Matthews.

yyzjohn

Banned
Sundin had Hoglund.

Kessel had Bozak.

Matthews now has Hyman.

You can't say that about Bozak. He's averaged 50 points/year for his entire career, not exactly an offensive scrub. Hyman only has 25 points this year, and he's probably looking at a career high with that just cause he got to play with Matthews all season long.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Devils had a 10 game losing streak.

Of course, the Flyers would be the team they beat to end that streak.

And to top it all off, they had their back-up goalie in net.

It was one of those "You already know what is going to happen" type games.

Hoo-boy.

Sundin had Hoglund.

Kessel had Bozak.

Matthews now has Hyman.

Marner has Bozak and Bozak is on pace to have his best season. It's always Matthews Matthews Matthews, Marner has played fewer games and has been as productive. Great players carry their linemates, McDavid has made everybody he's played with noticeably better.

I think 590 might be right in saying Matthews is used to a much shorter season and is getting tired.

Holiday

Banned
The Blues have won 7 in a row on the second game of a back to back. Just ask MIN/CHI if they can play everyday in the playoffs, maybe they'd have a chance. ( They wouldn't)

Matthews is used to a much shorter season and is getting tired.

That's got to be a factor. But Marner has benefited from playing with much more offensively talented, and veteran, players.

I mean, ignore the poor stats of the guys Matthews plays with for a sec and consider the AAV of the salaries. I don't think he's played regularly with a guy who isn't on an ELC.

yyzjohn

Banned
That's got to be a factor. But Marner has benefited from playing with much more offensively talented, and veteran, players.

I mean, ignore the poor stats of the guys Matthews plays with for a sec and consider the AAV of the salaries. I don't think he's played regularly with a guy who isn't on an ELC.

This is the thing. Marner has 2 guys that have produced in the NHL before. Sure you can say Bozak benefited from playing with Kessel and now Marner, but at least he's able to keep up and chip in his points. A linemate shouldn't be 30 points behind his center in production like Hyman is.

Cake Boss

Banned
Oh shit it's an outdoor game, that means the old farts that the Habs will honoring will freeze to death by the time the ceremony is done.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Do you guys get paid to pimp that app in here?

Hahaha as if friend.

Frankly though I wouldn't need to be paid to talk about how stylish, innovative and intuitive the new discord app is. It's something I feel everyone should have and experience.

zroid

Banned
"Centennial Classic" and "100 Classic" being different things is the kind of creative nomenclature only possible in the NHL

Socreges

Banned
I heard Discord is a lot like Tinder or, perhaps more accurately, Grinder. After all, the slogan is Discord: Love Can Blossom on the Battlefield™

Not my thing, but I appreciate that so many here have found it important in their lives.

Top Bottom