• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2013 |OT| 3rd Degree Assault. 2nd Degree Kidnapping. 1st Degree Racism

I hate this team, I've lost all faith in them for now to deliver a fun and exciting game to watch and be proud of, it's just a bunch of old men who can't seem to skate.

Samyy

Speaking of which, I'm just about to purchase a Vita (Killzone bundle for $200 AUD). How big a memory card would you recommend?

Getting P4G and Dragon's Crown.

As big as you can afford tbh
Oh and get Tearaway if you can!! Im trying to figure out how I'm gonna pay for that.

Curufinwe

Corsi confuses me but this seems pretty good.

Kevin Christmann ‏@KevinXmann 4m
Couturier - only 33.3% o zone starts, playing against the Spezza line...and puts up a 76.2% Corsi. 16 shots for only 5 against. Wowza!

Just watched the Blackhawks-Avalanche highlights. Even when they're getting pounded by 4 goals, the Blackhawks look incredible. Just unreal.

But we still have a better points percentage!

Cake Boss

Banned
Corsi confuses me but this seems pretty good.

Further proof why Spezza fucking sucks and this team will never get anywhere with him.

Turris is the team's official #1 Center now and has been all last season as well.
Fuck getting Spezza wingers, he had plenty of wingers, need to realize hes actually the fucking problem and not his wingers.

Further proof why Spezza fucking sucks and this team will never get anywhere with him.

Turris is the team's official #1 Center now and has been all last season as well.
Fuck getting Spezza wingers, he had plenty of wingers, need to realize hes actually the fucking problem and not his wingers.

We'll trade you upcoming holy grail 4th line center Andersson for Spezza, then Spezza will get injured and him and Alfie can be reunited in the press box nursing their injuries.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
People still pay attention to corsi? lulz

Not that you'd know but its been a huge discussion point the last two years in the Leafs fanbase.

We have a main reporter who is very pro Corsi and uses it as his basis anytime he discusses the Leafs.

One of the more popular Leafs communities also is very pro Corsi as well.

Marvie_3

Banned
Not that you'd know but its been a huge discussion point the last two years in the Leafs fanbase.

We have a main reporter who is very pro Corsi and uses it as his basis anytime he discusses the Leafs.

None of these change the fact that its a useless statistic like +/-

90% of reporters cover the leafs.

I am joining the leafs bandwagon.

TEAM FORD!!

giphy.gif

But go ahead/

Razorskin

----- ------

Widely adopted by Leafs fans? Even more reason to not care about it.

Mason is so good, I am really glad the flyers didnt panic and trade for another goalie earlier in the year like people were saying. It is great to see the team in front of him finally score some goals. Hopefully they can keep this up.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
None of these change the fact that its a useless statistic like +/-

Widely adopted by Leafs fans? Even more reason to not care about it.

My bad I should clarify these people are huge on corsi but they are a vocal minority in regards to how the rest of the fandom views it.

I personally think advanced stats will be the future of how we discuss players like in other sports BUT it has a long way to go.

This year is very vital for every win the Leafs have it gives a big blow to it since everyone has been predicting we'd be bottom of the league with the corsi we're putting up.

Marvie_3

Banned
Hasn't it been statistically shown to be more predictive of future success? I could have sworn +/- will average out when adjusted for competition, but Corsi stays predictive.
The declining value of fenwick/corsi with increased sample size

(statistical analysis from a Leafs fan)

My bad I should clarify these people are huge on corsi but they are a vocal minority in regards to how the rest of the fandom views it.

I personally think advanced stats will be the future of how we discuss players like in other sports BUT it has a long way to go.

This year is very vital for every win the Leafs have it gives a big blow to it since everyone has been predicting we'd be bottom of the league with the corsi we're putting up.
Advanced statistics won't work in hockey partially because it's a constantly moving game. There's too many factors that you can't quantify in hockey(quality of shot, exact positions of players, etc) that limit what you can do with statistical models. That's why even basic statistics like +/- are so flawed. It works in baseball because each pitch is a measurable situation. We're a long way off from having any useful advanced stats in hockey.

Marvie_3

Banned
Corsi has a strong correlation to puck possession. If a team is hemmed in their zone a lot, their Corsi will be low. If they're sustaining offensive pressure, their Corsi will be high. That's why it can be a useful stat.

Chicago's corsi was great last night yet they got fucking blown out.

Marvie_3

Banned
DON'T YOU FUCKING FORGET IT

In reality I think crawford had a bad game and Varlamov was back in god mode. That was your backup's first NHL game too right?
Crawford wasn't really to blame. The rest of the team couldn't go 3 seconds without coughing up the puck to an Av in a perfect scoring location or letting them walk around them on defense.

It was Raanta's first game in the NHL but he actually played better than I thought considering how shitty the rest of the team was playing.

Crawford wasn't really to blame. The rest of the team couldn't go 3 seconds without coughing up the puck to an Av in a perfect scoring location or letting them walk around them on defense.

It was Raanta's first game in the NHL but he actually played better than I thought considering how shitty the rest of the team was playing.

Yeah there were a lot of turnovers. The Stastny goal looked like a really unfortunate bounce though. Blowing that 3 on 1 is how those situations usually go for us.

Marvie_3

Banned
Yeah there were a lot of turnovers. The Stastny goal looked like a really unfortunate bounce though. Blowing that 3 on 1 is how those situations usually go for us.

Part bad bounce, part bad play by Seabrook to not send that puck around the boards better. Stastny had a gimme once the puck got to him. Crawford had no chance.

LevelNth

Banned
The declining value of fenwick/corsi with increased sample size

(statistical analysis from a Leafs fan)

Advanced statistics won't work in hockey partially because it's a constantly moving game. There's too many factors that you can't quantify in hockey(quality of shot, exact positions of players, etc) that limit what you can do with statistical models. That's why even basic statistics like +/- are so flawed. It works in baseball because each pitch is a measurable situation. We're a long way off from having any useful advanced stats in hockey.
I completely agree. Add in the glaring and often hilarious differences in the stat recording itself (Bowen and co. even said last night about a past game where the official count for one period was 0 giveaways, and they said 'we counted at least 4 or 5 ourselves'), and frankly, anyone who uses these stats is so blatantly ATTEMPTING to appear intelligent it's beyond hysterical, and more just sad and pathetic.

This is why the G&M needs to fire Mirtle and hire someone who actually understands hockey to cover the most followed team in the league for the country's largest newspaper.

It's embarrassing.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I completely agree. Add in the glaring and often hilarious differences in the stat recording itself (Bowen and co. even said last night about a past game where the official count for one period was 0 giveaways, and they said 'we counted at least 4 or 5 ourselves'), and frankly, anyone who uses these stats is so blatantly ATTEMPTING to appear intelligent it's beyond hysterical, and more just sad and pathetic.

This is why the G&M needs to fire Mirtle and hire someone who actually understands hockey to cover the most followed team in the league for the country's largest newspaper.

It's embarrassing.

He brings in readers whether good or bad to yell at his articles so no way he's going anytime soon.

He's also subtle in how he trolls the team unlike Simmons or Cox. You won't ever see him outright say something terrible about the Leafs but he'll use his advanced stats to paint a pretty bad picture.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Oh wow I just looked at the Leafs schedule in the first half of December.

Not sure if my body will be able to handle that.

Torts was right when he said they didn't give Florida respect: they'd been outshooting opponents with little to show for it and probably expected to score a bushel of goals against the Panthers.

Their middling record is about right for this team, though. They still need the Sedins to carry them and they've been very quiet since signing their new contracts. Their secondary scoring is unreliable at best and laughable most of the time. They're getting nothing from their offensive defensemen: Edler is a team-worst -9 with 2 goals and Garrison hasn't scored in 21 games. Burrows is -6 with 0 goals even playing with the Sedins; it would be acceptable if he wasn't making $4.5M this year. It looks like Torts has given up on Booth and his $4.2M salary.

That's $8.7M for one goal between Booth and Burrows. Santorelli has 5 goals at $0.6M.

Gillis did well to get some good depth in Richardson, Santorelli, and Stanton, but they're not going to carry the team every night. His options are limited with the lower cap and Booth untradeable, but he needs a top-6 scorer.

I'm puzzled why Torts hasn't tried Kassian with the Sedins yet. He has 4 goals despite averaging 12.5 minutes a game on the third line. For all his line juggling Torts hasn't moved anyone in the bottom six up except Santorelli.

It's kind of funny that everyone was wondering how Luongo would fare with all the offseason drama but he's been the least of the team's worries. Lack has been solid as well.

TL;DR version: make a trade, more goals from the defense, Sedins do something, give Kassian a chance.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Time for Red Wings good news/bad news:

Good news: Ken holland finally used the word "possible" in reference to calling up Nyquist.

Bad news: DAN FREAKING CLEARY is practicing on the first line at practice.

Keep in mind: this is after he has sucked horribly the last two months, knocked a guy's tooth out with a stupid high stick, earned a 4-minute penalty, and was then rewarded with the last minute and a half of ice time last night during the 6-on-5.

Time for Red Wings good news/bad news:

Good news: Ken holland finally used the word "possible" in reference to calling up Nyquist.

Bad news: DAN FREAKING CLEARY is practicing on the first line at practice.

Hsr5SBE.gif

How are we still in a somewhat comfortable playoff spot? Oh yeah, we are in the East. :/

Top Bottom